Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ideas on Photography blog?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section to put this....
For a few years, I ran a photography web forum in spanish. While it was originally aimed at local photo enthusiasts, at one point we had a bunch of international members. We had articles, news, people shared photos, techniques, a small marketplace, etc. My favorite section was My Museum, where I shared my collection of antique cameras, their stories and history. The best part was that we got together many times in phototrips and meetings.
Pentax Forums has always been my gold standard and favorite forum, but I only know 1 member personally. This other forum was more personal and close, with many members within a short driving distance.
It was great but times change. I lost my job in 2010. Fortunately, I found another job within 4 months, but the new job requires almost all of my time. Photography had to step in as a secondary source of income on these tough times. That means less time for running the site, phototrips, writing articles, relaying news etc. Participation in the forum took a nosedive and at the end, only a handful of people were using it.
Long story short, I shutdown the site last week with some mixed emotions.
But I feel kind of incomplete....

I'm not big on social media. I don't use Tweeter or Instagram and I'm relatively passive on Facebook.
Soooooo..... I've been thinking, how about a small blog? A place where I can share news, pics, antiques etc. and people may comment, but at my own pace? What are the requirements? I still have server space and domain. What software?
Or should I just forget about it?

Any thoughts?

07-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most folks use canned tools like WordPress or Blogger, but there are myriad ways of doing this.

The more important issue is to determine what your objectives are and to square them with your capabilities. To me the intention of a blog is to have one's ideas shared with the public and maybe promote two-way dialog. These days that implies getting your word out about your blog via active social media engagement. There are just too many other channels that call for folks' attention.

If you don't like to or cannot play the social media and forum posting games, then I suggest sparing yourself the hassle and keeping a private journal instead. That's what most people seem to do.

M