Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggestions from those that have visited...

I'm looking for any suggestions for those that have visited Banff Springs / Lake Louise / Tofino / Pacific Rim forest as to anything that I would typically miss as a tourist.

I'll have my old reliable Sigma 18-200mm (not the greatest, but works well), and my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 (not sure it'll get any/much use).

07-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of my favourite places. I wouldn't spend much time in Banff - expensive and wall to wall tourists. But Lake Louise is a must see. Somehow the tourists seem to blend into the scenery there. Worthwhile walking through the Chateau as well. I would take the time to drive north up the Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise (Highway 93). Must see stops along the way are Peyto Lake (unbelievably blue), Sunwapta Pass (one of my favourite vistas). Columbia Icefields, and Athabasca Falls. And you have the stunning Rocky Mt scenery and wildlife along the way. Jasper is at the north end of the Parkway. Another pretty tourist town but does not feel cheapened as much as Banff. I took the Jasper Skytram to the top of Whistler's Peak this 4th of July and it was out of this world. You will be lucky to get any hotel room this time of year unless you book ahead.

Tofino and the west coast of Vancouver Island are a world removed from the Rockies. Instead of mountains you are on the edge of the Pacific watching the rollers break on the many sandy beaches. There will be crowds of people to fight for a spot but it is worth the trip. Tofino itself is a funky little town with some great restaurants. But again, unless you book ahead, it will be hard to get a room.

I have never done the Pacific Rim trail but have heard that you need to be well prepared for the hike.

Jack
07-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Banff is nice, for a few hours. The park itself is great. Lake Louise and Lake Moirane are superb. There is a trail not too far from Banff along a river, with a waterfall at the end. It should be easy to find and is quite beautiful. There are many many trails in the area. I'm not familiar with the other spots.

If you intend on bringing back memories your lenses will be fine. If you plan on bringing back memorable pictures, then maybe a small reliable wide prime such as a 21, 35 or 40 would serve you well.
07-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
From Tofino, you can take a water taxi to Meares Island, which is old growth rainforest. You want to go in the *morning*, when the woods are shrouded in mist. The mist burns off in the afternoon and the direct sunlight is too contrasty to shoot in the forest. Watch out for bears. Bring your tripod.

07-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You got 10 or 15 years .... a few spots I can recommend. Weather can be anything from hot and sunny to snow. I have been in a snowstorm in July up there (it did not stay but it was snowing). Also it's been really hot lately. Check the park sites to see if there are any current forest fires that may close some of the areas.

Banff
- Vermillion Lakes. It's right off the highway , some really nice sunrises and if there is no wind outstanding reflections of Mount Rundel.
- If you have the time the Gondola up to Sulphur mountain offers some Vista views of Banff and the whole area
- Elbow Falls ( Elbow Falls ) a bit of a drive again not sure how much time you have.
- Suprise Corner right in Banff a great view of the famous Banff Springs Hotel
- Bow Falls (right in town) - nice waterfall

Lake Louise
- Morraine Lake is a must. There is a trail to the top of the hill so make sure you take that. The 10 peaks are impressive
- Lake Louise itself
- just down highway 1 (west ) in Field there is
1) Takakkaw Falls ( http://www.field.ca/yohonationalpark/waterfalls/)
2) Natural Bridge - nice river with rocks and mountainous background
3) Emerald Lake - beautiful pristine water

- Wapta Falls - down the Highway 1 a little further west. Not a big sign easy to miss. If you hit Golden BC you have passed it. It's also about a 2km hike in (easy hiking) beautiful

There are so many other areas that are popular - another one I would consider is from Lake Loiuse take highway 93 towards Jasper and head to the Columbia Ice fields. There is a new Glacier Skywalk (Glacier Skywalk | Brewster Travel Canada) there that just opened in May. I have not been yet but will before winter hits.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Last edited by daacon; 07-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.
07-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check out the Banff skytram.

@daacon - I'll try to check out Wapta Falls, as I'll be driving across from Vancouve, as well as Takakkaw Falls.
@daacon/@dbyery - Thanks for the tip on Moraine Lake - I would have never seen it. Looks like some nice hiking trails as well.

@jpinpg - For Tofino area - I've been there once before (~14 years ago), and Long Beach will be nice, as will the Pacific Rim 'trail' - not the hard excusion
Easy Hiking Trails in Tofino, Ucluelet, Pacific Rim Park and Clayoquot Sound A to L
I'm also hoping to break up the drive a little with a hike through the giant cedars
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Giant+Cedars+Boardwalk+Trail/@51.10594,-11...3812699902038c