Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Confession of a camera addict

I first forayed into the world of photography with an Olympus SP550 superzoom camera back in 2006. Back then, the Olympus did it's job in recording my photos but its performance was terrible. It broke down in 2010 and I decided I need the performance of a real dslr to get better photos. Then in 2011, I bought the K-r with the kit lens. The nightmare begins here. Then a second lens came, the flashes, filters, tripods, the camera bag just got bigger and fancier.. To add to injury, I revisited film along the way and given how cheap film cameras and lenses are, I was acquiring a new one every other day.

Every outing became a challenge, because I had to decide which camera to bring, if I need the damned flash or filters and so on. I wasn't excatly enjoying either. It became an obsession rather than a hobby. Eventually reality sat in. Kids grew up, work and family gets in the way. Today, my only photo opportunities are the rare and far in between gatherings and vacations. I begin to feel it's so much trouble to take a camera out these days. With all those excess baggage, even taking the Q along is a burden! I realized I won't be that lucky guy who travels the world and bring home beautiful photos of exotic locations. I AM just "the guy with the camera".

When I look at my box of lenses, I realized I bought most of them on impulse. I'd go to forums and ebay and say "hey, that's a fantastic lens, I'll buy it!" Then when it arrived, all I do is take a few test photos with it and it would join the rest of my collection in the dry box.

I can see myself buying a superzoom pretty soon and selling off every damn thing except the tripod. Did Pentax just release one?

07-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You realise you're an addict when you start hiding new equipment from your spouse. Or you buy limiteds because they look the same and you can get away with it easier.
07-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You know most of my shots that I have put up are not from exotic places etc I think the nice thing photography has taught me is to see the emotion in so many things around me be it pleasure or pain but in regards to a pentax bridging camera this one maybe

Pentax XG-1 | Grandpaparazzi
07-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
The only pictures I take these days are my wife and kids. Occasionally mom and pop too. I guess I could live with the Fujifilm X100 as my only camera

And perhaps my Q too as a backup
and my Super Program just in case I want to shoot film
and a couple of primes for the film camera maybe?
oh wait, I don't have any zoom. I'll have to get the XG-1 as well..
The XG-1's small sensor is not good enough for low light! I'll need to get an MX-1 to compliment it!

I see another bloody vicious cycle coming!

07-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started feeling that way about buying recording gear. One day I walked into a Guitar Center for some bass strings then looked around a bit and realized I had everything I needed to produce the music I write and record. I felt tempted by nothing. Certainly I found some things interesting but nothing that was necessary for my musical goals. That was the determinant for me, looking around, examining the newest and latest tools and knowing I had accomplished a goal I had set out to achieve years before. It was something like an epiphany, I guess.

The point is, I believe, to have a goal in mind, to know what it is you want to achieve and the tools required to do so. If the "obsession" is gear for gear's sake, that's not good but if it's to build a photographic toolbox that allows you to take whatever kind of photograph you're interested in capturing then I see no harm as long as you stay, you know, focused.

Some people need a rolling tool chest filled to the brim. For others, a Leatherman will suffice.
07-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Some people need a rolling tool chest filled to the brim. For others, a Leatherman will suffice.
And some need both.

My Leatherman is the DA 18-135
07-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
And some need both.

My Leatherman is the DA 18-135

My digital "Leatherman" is probably the MX-1, although, if Pentax had a fast wide prime for the....

... never mind, another thread entirely.

I guess my film "Leatherman" would be the Canonet QL17.