Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you could take photos at one significant moment, when and where would

Imagine you have a time machine can can only be used once to travel back in time and back to to the present. If you could go any place and time but only stay a few days, where and when would you go? Now let's imagine you can only use a camera from that time. What camera would you choose?

My choice would be the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989. My camera of choice would be any Pentax available.

07-28-2014, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dealey Plaza, Dallas, 22 November 1963, 12h20. Any Pentax, decent telephoto lens. Looking toward the grassy knoll.
07-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Dealey Plaza, Dallas, 22 November 1963, 12h20. Any Pentax, decent telephoto lens. Looking toward the grassy knoll.
What if you knew what was going to happen?
07-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Moved to correct forum. Anything photographically related does not belong in General Talk, so this thread is now in General Photography forum.

07-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
What if you knew what was going to happen?
Good question. In the spirit of time travel logic, I'll say I'm able to observe, but not interfere, as that would alter history. Difficult as that may be!
07-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good question. In the spirit of time travel logic, I'll say I'm able to observe, but not interfere, as that would alter history. Difficult as that may be!
I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I knew my president was going to be assassinated and couldn't do anything.
07-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I could go back to the moment when Jeshua of Nazareth supposedly rose from the dead I'd want to capture that. Why? Because if it was true that the man actually rose from the dead and I got a pic of that, one that not only proved that he existed but was capable of doing that? It would be one of the most awe inspiring, shocking, and probably most valuable photos in all of history. I'm not even religious and I would still want to capture that.

07-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The parting of the Red Sea.
07-28-2014, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Assuming this mystical time machine is guaranteed to bring me back safely, I'd want to go back to the beginning of the universe, the Big Bang if that theory is correct or whatever else happened. If I could only use a camera from that time I'd settle for visual observation rather than pick a more recent time when cameras existed.
07-29-2014, 03:06 AM   #10

I'd not go back so far in time. I'd just go back to the death of Adolf Hitler to make sure he really died in the bunker and how (by his own hand or with the help of others). The camera would be a Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 K4B.
07-29-2014, 04:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I knew my president was going to be assassinated and couldn't do anything.
Aha. But, if you did something, then the whole course of modern history may have been changed. You, or I, might not be here.
07-29-2014, 05:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pre-Columbian America...

...before the strip malls, freeways, suburbs, factories, strip mines, poisoned lakes and rivers, denuded prairies, dirty air etc etc - you get the idea.
I'd love to see that ancient America with or without a camera.
07-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would go back to the construction of the pyramids and the sphinx in Egypt. How was all that rock moved?!
07-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Battle of Gettysburg as William Henry Jackson, but I would already have a box camera instead of only a sketchpad.
07-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Battle of Gettysburg as William Henry Jackson, but I would already have a box camera instead of only a sketchpad.
William Henry Jackson was at Gettysburg, but as a soldier. He served for 2 years and his brigade was at several major battles but never posted to the front lines. He never personally saw combat so to speak. He didn't take up photography until after the Civil War. Started out as a painter and worked coloring photographs at one time. Did a good chunk of the Oregon trail as a bullwhacker too.

But I agree with the choice. It would be awesome to be the first person to photograph Yellowstone. BTW, He lived to be 99 and used everything from the old wet process to early 35mm Leica cameras.

The book "William Henry Jackson: Framing the Frontier" is a good read on his life.