Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rejoice! Last day of CRIS Camera!

My recent lens repair, back for all of two uses just broke... AGAIN. This is probably the sixth time the lens had been repaired (soon to be seventh), and it needs to go back immediately... again! This has been a long term repeated experience with CRIS camera, going back about five years, multiple pieces of equipment and multiple failures along the way. I know some of you are sick and tire of my rants... ME TOO!

Well, today is CRIS Camera's last day as the contracted repair facility for Ricoh/Pentax!
I AM SO HAPPY!!!

So that of course means my current items in for repair need to head of the the new location which won't be up and running until at least mid-late next month. None too happy about that, but I have hopes that we didn't just move from one layer of Hell to another.

---------- Post added 07-30-14 at 07:54 PM ----------

Ha! Just got a call... the parts are in and repairs will be done and shipped back shortly.

Odd... two hours ago they checked and found, even though the work order says parts for lens were in but waiting on part for camera, that the work order was wrong. Parts were not in for either item and that they would be shipped to the new repair facility to be worked on once parts do become available.

Now, they say that due to the contract running out they pushed to get parts rushed out to get repairs done before essentially closing up shop (as far as Pentax/Ricoh repairs are concerned).

I am so fed up with their load of BS, but will be so happy to be done with them.

Last edited by Blue; 07-30-2014 at 07:26 PM.
07-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #2

Didn't another post say they were just moving to CT? Some old Same old. Different location.
07-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh dear, I hope not! They told me they were not renewing their contract. Ricoh inferred that CRIS would no longer be handling repairs.
So tat new scares me a bit!

Lies, after lies, after lies. I'll have to ask Ricoh about that tomorrow when I check up on re-re-re-re-re-repairing my lens.
07-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The responsibility for this problem is shared between both CRIS and Ricoh/Pentax. Ricoh/Pentax has a very good idea as to the failure rates for each replaceable module, and the ability to keep CRIS stocked with inventory of spare parts. This has been an on going problem for at least 5 years when I needed to have the complete guts of my K20 replaced, and it took several weeks - primary waiting for parts. A new vendor or location is not going to make any appreciable difference.

The main question is what does Ricoh/Pentax intend to do differently, other than to switch to a lower cost service provider?
________

Also, if a lens needs to be repaired repeatedly several times, then its essentially a lemon. It needs to be replaced. The trouble is that if its out of the warranty period, Ricoh/Pentax washes their hands of it, and then if falls to the CRIS 90 warranty on their workmanship. However the unit constantly failing points more to a unit design problem - hence replace the bad unit to get it out of the system. Its just cheaper for everyone all around.
________

I will say that the handful of times I needed their service, having them with in driving range was really nice and convenient.

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-30-2014 at 06:35 PM.
07-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
This is probably the sixth time the lens had been repaired
Which lens is this, just out of curiosity.
07-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Which lens is this, just out of curiosity.
DA* 16-50mm. Two of them with similar histories...
07-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FYI, new service center is Precision Camera in Connecticut.

08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Rejoice if you like but until the new service proves itself, there is no certainty they will be any better. Keep in mind that all contracts like this are are "lowest bid" deals. Ricoh is mostly concerned with profits. That said, Precision has a good reputation but based in my 40+ years as a mechanic, there will always be complaints
08-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm certainly NOT happy. I have had nothing but great experiences with CRIS and they are just a 20 min drive for me. I'm REALLY NOT happy about the idea of shipping anything to CT.

Sorry you've had problems with CRIS, but I think you are in the minority. It's a sad day for me.
08-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Had some repairs with CRIS, always fast and no further problems. I was more upset that I needed them in the first place for camera flaws (although one out of three was damage caused by me). The biggest problem others seemed to have with CRIS was turnaround time, which was 100% caused by slow parts coming from Ricoh. They should be fully stocked at all times for any repair needed. And if too much volume is an issue for one shop, then there should be multiple shops like there used to be. And the cameras and lenses shouldn't break in the first place!
08-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to send one of my bodies in for a repair and have been asked to wait till Aug 10 due to the move. Hope things go smoothly.
08-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Doesn't seem right that the other place isn't ready to go when they close the first place down...are they actually shipping items from CRIS to the new place instead of just finishing what they've got?
08-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Doesn't seem right that the other place isn't ready to go when they close the first place down...are they actually shipping items from CRIS to the new place instead of just finishing what they've got?
I talked to CRIS this morning, Pentax physically came in on July 31 and removed all Pentax related gear for calibration/ servicing etc.
They CANT finish any work because they don't have the workbenches OR parts
The delay must be the time it takes to get the equipment moved and set up in new shop.

I agree, why can't we have at least a West and East Coast service center.
I would so not be thrilled if I have to send anything across the damn country.

It also sounds like it was "forced" on CRIS. They seemed rather upset in losing the "Service Center" designation.
As alluded to in another post, they very well may have been out bid, much to their chagrin.
08-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I think a lot of new things are going to take place and the main reason is Ricoh doing things their way. When a company is bought, any contracts have to be continued or bought out for a price which is estimated to be the income that would be made in the remaining time. It's also likely that Ricoh wasn't ready at that point to take over servicing Pentax products. Sometimes things stay the same, sometimes they don't. As far as quality, any repair is only going to be as good as the tech doing it. Not every failure is a cut and dry thing and guys are under flat rate time constraints to troubleshoot and repair the item. If it happens to be working at the moment, he either guesses based on experience with with previous failures with similar symptoms and replaces a part which may or may not be the cure, clean the camera or lens and send it back blaming the problem on "dirty <whatever>", or a good tech will set it aside and consult somebody else later in hopes the real problem can be found.

I would expect that in the end, the service will probably be similar. Some will be happy, some not.
08-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've had excellent service with CRIS. one of my bodies (an old K-20....now sold) was a gift and naturally did not have my name or address on the bill of sale. CRIS honored the warranty repair without batting an eye.....

About to send and old K-5 to them (or someone) for the dreaded "lens release button" disappearing act.....lets hope the trend continues.