Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wedding Photography

I'm going to be shooting my friends small outdoor wedding and would welcome any tips you have to get the best shots possible. I have a K20. What lenses are best? Any any any help is truly appreciated. I'm starting to have moments of panic!

08-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Typically you will need a minimum of two-three fast lenses (f 2.8 helps).

One should be a 16/17mm-50mm. I recommend the Tamron, very sharp. Just be sure to tweak the AF accuracy a few days prior.

The second should be a complimentary longer range zoom so you can isolate guests from the backgrounds in candids. My favorite for shooting events with Pentax was the DA* 50-135mm f2.8. Great optics.

Additionally, I'd recommend something like the DA Ltd. 70mm if you are going to be doing beauty type or prior-to-the-wedding prep shots of the bride, her maids, family, the groom and buds etc. Perfect for people that lens. I'd also bring along a good flash, you never know.

M
08-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Joi,
I couldn't see what lenses you already have to make it easier to choose from, but Miguel's suggestions are sound.
Fast zooms (f/2.8) covering 16-135mm (preferrably up to even 200mm) focal lengths are important. You would need to be pretty close to the action even with a 135mm focal length.
The zooms give you flexibility, but I have often used prime lenses (fixed-focal length) for times the subjects stay in the same spot and there is some predictability (like posed shots). For those situations, I have favoured a fast fifty or similar lens (FA or DA limiteds).
A flash with P-TTL capability and an adjustable head is a must in my opinion.
08-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
I'm going to be shooting my friends small outdoor wedding and would welcome any tips you have to get the best shots possible. I have a K20. What lenses are best? Any any any help is truly appreciated. I'm starting to have moments of panic!
If you have to ask, just keep it simple and mostly documentary :-)
Rings, cake, bouquet, B&G and minister, bride full length, B&G.

08-04-2014, 01:04 AM   #5

Itook pictures at my sister’s wedding this Saturday, my first 'paid' event
I have different lenses butdecided to keep it simple, regarding my choice of lenses.
As mensiend before fastlenses is useful in the church and at dinner.
I planned to use my new35mm 2.8 ltd for bride preparing, hairdresser, in the church (it was a verysmall church) and right outside the church
Changed to sigma 50-150mm2.8 for pictures of bride and groom plus family, poarties....
Kept the Sigma for profilepictures of all the guest couples.
Back to the 35mm 2.8 forthe rest, cake, dinner, party, next day.... Only time I had to turn on flashwas when the light got turned off for party and music. (i have only thein-build flash)
I have not looked at allthe pictures, but there are some good ones.
And I am fully satisfiedwith the lens choice I did, got all the moments I wished
08-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not any information on lenses, but I've seen wedding photographers with a list of the shots that are required and work to the list so no shots are missed.
08-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
To everyone - thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. It is a very small backyard wedding and a dinner in a restaurant. I've been looking at lists must of have wedding shots and my friends are making a list of what they would like so that's covered. The lenses I have are
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro, DA 40mm 2.8 limited, 17-28 fisheye and Sigma 150-500.