Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
doesn`t k-r has dioptre compensation? probably you could use it much better without glasses.
I tried that, but it's just a big 'ol blur

I've pretty much decided on the Q7, it may not be able to net me the same image quality of a k-30 or k-01 but it's the size I really want with the dslr features to expand in the future. Plus all the fun mounts (C, D, K) I can play with seems like a great place for exploration in the future.

Thanks for everyone's input.

08-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for a K-30 and the kit lens. Great combo, cheap dollars.
08-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Wear your glasses. without your glasses it's hard to chimp , read menus and a number of other useful function.... I can adjust the diopter so I can focus, I just can't do anything else.
08-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
By a stroke of luck I actually managed to pick up a Pentax K-01 on ebay for 265 dollars, with an 18-55m lens. Can't wait to get it to try it out and be a full fledged Pentax owner

08-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations! Experiment, play, and learn as much as you can. The K-01's IQ is great. Did your lens come with a hood? If not then I strongly recommend you get one. Not only will it increase your IQ but it will also protect the lens against bumps and scrapes.
08-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
By a stroke of luck I actually managed to pick up a Pentax K-01 on ebay for 265 dollars, with an 18-55m lens. Can't wait to get it to try it out and be a full fledged Pentax owner
Nowww... Here's tip #1 [scratch that: tip #2, 6BQ5] with respect to the K-01: Embrace the monopod. I got a 'classic P.O.S.', under 7 ounce, Sima (a.k.a., simian designed) monopod just for Pentax IBIS cameras. You have to be careful not to be imitating tripod support too closely -- making the Sima perfect -- because the SR stabilization can interact with the combination of rigidity and resonances in a tripod to foul up your output. There's plenty of information on site about this.

Some experimentation is in order. The Sima collapses short enough to use with the rubber tip end inserted into a small pocket attached to your belt (fleabay, and elsewhere), making for an 'ambulatory monopod'. The 'Sim'-ply PlasticŪ lever locks seem to work well enough (couldn't say for how long). Of course, it's a snip to carry in any number of ways. You may feel the need for a DIY mod or two, given the P.O.S. class of equipment we're talking about. Trekking poles with a camera thread a-top are another option here. I felt I needed to try something like this for live view framing and focusing due the typical presbyopia issue that comes with age. But, at least, it begins to address the practical challenges of working without a viewfinder. I use a solid old school Bogan 3-section for my Fuji 6 x 9, etc. Congrats!

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 08-06-2014 at 08:39 AM.
08-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Congrats. The K-01 should be perfect for you.

The DA 40mm 2.8 XS is a cheap addition that will make your camera even more portable and the IQ much better, even if you'll then have to zoom with your feet.

08-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

From that list I would definitely vote for the K-01.
The K-01 is no P&S, it is a true camera, with many great features, great sensor (!), can use many wonderful lenses (!), and in a compact package. It does have its quirks, but you can overcome them (like opening and closing the lens aperture when being pointed to a different power light source. This can be annoying if you have a loud lens) (or screen glare, but you can put on a loupe or other anti-glare accessories, wear a rimmed hat, etc.)
Just get a nice lens or two to complement it. The 40mm XS is a really great lens, and you can get it super cheap bundled together with the camera. If you want a zoom, try the 16-45mm or Tamron 17-50mm.