Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

So I went to Yodobashi today...

... because I got out of office early and was in a "let's spend some money" shopping mood.
Fortunately, all the bits and pieces that keep popping up in my mind when I visit this forum (645Z, K-3, more lenses, Sony A7...) eventually all had many good reasons not to be bought, so I did not spend any money, but came home excited and eager to play with my K-5IIs and my primes again

Anyhow, it is always good to handle equipment in real life, and I just wanted to share some of my impressions of this trip.
(all of course personal impressions only, and to be taken with a grain of salt)

First off, the 645Z handles wonderfully! It is really great to see that Pentax can make such a beast of a camera be as easy to handle as a K-5IIs.

Name:  RM001487.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  153.3 KB

I found a lot of button placements and features on this camera that I really liked, and the viewfinder is sweet.
On the other hand actually handling it was also enough for me to know I will never go to MF - this is just TOO BIG for my kind of usage!
(yeah, that's my reason - totally not the fact that I could never afford it don't rub my nose into it...)

Still, a wonderful piece of equipment.

Name:  RM001490.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  93.0 KB

First time I actually saw the DA 560 in real life.
That thing is a monster! Even though I do not like the ergonomics of the K-3 all that much, and I have no need for anything longer than my DA55-300, I have to say that this combination was sexy as hell! And it would sure be fun to have that lens for a weekend at the race track...

Name:  RM001489.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  163.1 KB

A funny thing was this "advertisement" that took me back into the "real world" of consumer perspectives for camera shopping.
Of course, this is a very Japanese attitude, but I think it contrasts nicely to how we fight about pixel peeping and spec comparisons in e.g. this forum...
Cutsy and sweet! *kawaii*

Name:  RM001492.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  95.0 KB

Last but not least I tried the A7 once again, because I did not spend a lot of time with it in my earlier visits.
Still could not make it "work"... I just find all the menus, button placements... basically EVERYTHING about this camera awful to use.
Too bad this sensor is not sitting in a nicer camera (made by Pentax )

That's it from my side.
Cheers

P.s.: did not know whether to post this here or in the "share photos" part of the forum... @Mods, please move if I made the wrong choice.

08-13-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the very nice report. I wish I could have the same opportunity here to get my hands on such wonderful things.
08-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #3

Thank you for the post.
Yodobash is such an awesome store to visit

Did you by chance ask about or know if they had the 645 lenses in stock?
I may find myself in Tokyo in a month or two if things go to plan.
08-13-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dreamsong Quote
Thank you for the post.
Yodobash is such an awesome store to visit

Did you by chance ask about or know if they had the 645 lenses in stock?
I may find myself in Tokyo in a month or two if things go to plan.
I did not ask, but I think I saw some lying around
You can also check their website. If you select the individual lenses, there is a "store that stock" link (excuse google chrome translator...)

YODOBASHI.COM - Search Item "Pentax 645" sorted for lenses

08-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
I did not ask, but I think I saw some lying around
You can also check their website. If you select the individual lenses, there is a "store that stock" link (excuse google chrome translator...)

YODOBASHI.COM - Search Item "Pentax 645" sorted for lenses
Awesome, thanks for the link.
Looks like the Shinjuku store will be my best bet.