Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If size is the biggest concern, then just stick your 50mm lens on the camera, sans grip and just take it along. There definitely is a look you can get with larger sensored cameras that is tough to get with little ones. As long as you don't mind everything being in focus, even a nice cell phone camera will work, but if you get into low light settings, or places where you want more narrow depth of field, then a smaller camera won't get you there. Pinhole demonstrated some of those effects above.

08-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since most people in this thread are suggesting cameras to switch to, let me give you another option:

Leave the battery grip at home, stick on a 40mm Limited, pick up a Peak Design camera clip and Pro Pad, and try that. This keeps the camera out of the way until you need it, and the focal length is useful for all kinds of situations. Prime might get you out of that funk, and it's a great lens for subject shots with context (like kids). You might find that a slightly different setup works for you (switch out that 40 for a 50 and focus more on portraits or get a comfy camera bag instead of a clip), but generally I've found that if my gear's not coming with me, it's because I'm not comfy enough.

If you do want to go mirrorless, there are plenty of great options in that direction too, of course.
08-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm going to suggest a stop gap measure. Pick up an MX-1, you can still find them new for $250.00. Use it for awhile. If it works for you, Bob's yer uncle. Now, if after using it you find that it's focal range is limiting you but the overall image quality is to your liking sell it and put together a Q7 kit with the prime and zooms. I suspect the MX-1 is holding it current value rather well so selling it after a month or two won't result in a substantial loss.
08-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I bought a Panasonic LF1 a few months ago. It's a great little camera. Very good IQ, very sharp Leica branded zoom lens, and small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. I've used it in all kinds of places and a couple of shots from it ended up in my daughters wedding album. I like this little camera but no way will it replace my K5. It serves the purpose I bought it for and that's to have a camera handy for motorcycle rides for those shots that I previously missed because my K5 was in the saddlebag. Actually, I can carry it everywhere since it's about the same size as a smartphone when the lens isn't zoomed. The battery life is way too short to be a DSLR replacement. It has a 1/1.7 sensor which is decent but still shows a lot of noise, even at ISO 100 and high ISO isn't very good at all. Since the camera is small, it doesn't have all the handy buttons and dials so you have to scroll through menus to change even common settings which is a royal pain.

I could go on and on. As I said, I do like the camera but only for what it does best and that's for producing high quality snapshots from a small camera that fits in my pocket. It's great for traveling.

08-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For now I am going to stick with what i've got, suck it up and lug the K-5ii around as much as I can. I took it out last weekend when I took my son to the playground and I got some amazing shots. One thing that was hugely beneficial was my sling strap (OpTech Super Classic Strap Uni Loop) because it's easy to sling the camera snug to the side and still chase around a 3 year old without having the camera float everywhere.

When Black Friday comes, i'm still going to keep my eyes out for a Sony RX100 II/III and pull the trigger on one if there's an amazing deal that's too good to pass up, but I feel it best to keep my K-5ii for the bulk of my shooting as I can't see myself parting with it
08-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sling straps make all the difference, they're so much more comfortable and secure. You don't have huge lenses, so your kit's pretty portable.

I don't have a battery grip, I find the K5 size is good and don't want the weight. If I were doing long time lapses, I'd probably get the grip - and if I go visit my brother in Oregon again I will do some star time lapses up in the mountains, so I'll need to deal with power and dew. But for everyday running around I'll just pocket the spare battery and not worry. Heck, in the winter at the dog parks I need to swap batteries anyway, keeping one in a shirt pocket to warm up.