Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q-S1 and K-S1 New Naming?

So now we have two "new" cameras from Pentax.
Anyone have any ideas where they are heading with the naming?
Any thoughts on where the permutations will go?

08-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
So now we have two "new" cameras from Pentax.
Anyone have any ideas where they are heading with the naming?
Any thoughts on where the permutations will go?
Maybe it just means Small.
08-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Or stylish a.k.a. sell only in Japan!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe it just means Small.
Maybe...but it would be interesting to see if this becomes something larger.

645D, 645Z....? Probably no change there.
K-S1...2,3,4,5 etc.
Q-S1...2,3,4,5 etc.

K7 -> K5 -> K3...K1?

Dunno, just thinking.

Bored tonight I guess.

08-21-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps S stands for "strange thing on the grip with no apparent use" because that's something the K-S1 and Q-S1 have in common.

But whether it stands for a real word or not, it seems to designate an entry model. It also seems to imply that there will be other levels of camera in the Q and K range.

K-1 always struck me as a strange name for a full frame camera because it looks like a successor to the K-3 and leaves then nowhere to go. K-F1 would make perfect sense, though.

But I worry a bit about having a very rigid naming convention that it leads to companies mindlessly churning out successor models, when sometimes what's needed is to start from a clean slate. So part of me hopes the naming chaos will continue.
08-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it's Ricoh wanting to start over from number 1 so next high end apsc will be K1. S for spontaneous. Can't think of what they would use for mid range, E for enthusiast?
08-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
owl
Forum Member

I design cameras for a living and used to use names for new camera models, such as (I'm making this up) "Zephyr"; but with every new model the hardest problem seemed to be what to name it, then a dozen years ago I came up with a letter-number-suffix naming convention with each position meaning something based on the market is served and the features it contained. Much easier. Numbers are cheap. I guess that I really don't care what they call it, but it is odd that I don't see any real trend to any of it except for the mount designation or format (K, Q, 645). They apparently just make it up as they go along. Then of course, there is the monkey theory: The Online Photographer: How Canon Chooses Camera Names

08-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pity they can't just do it like this:

Pentax K Pro - 2013 Edition (k3)
Pentax K Enthusiast - 2013 Edition (K50)
Pentax K Entry - 2013 Edition (K500)

Pentax Q 2014 Edition (Qs1)
Pentax 645 2014 Edition (645-z)

Mount - level if needed - year. Simple enough. Apple has been using that with their laptop and desktop products for a long time (with a couple of base product name changes thrown in - powerbook to macbook pro, ibook to macbook to macbook air). Well, technically, Apple uses "Late 2011" or "Early 2012" or "mid-2013" or whatever, because processor upgrades move faster than camera sensor upgrades and you might have 2-3 across-the-line upgrades in one year. But Pentax probably wouldn't need that.
08-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Pity they can't just do it like this:

Pentax K Pro - 2013 Edition (k3)
Pentax K Enthusiast - 2013 Edition (K50)
Pentax K Entry - 2013 Edition (K500)

Pentax Q 2014 Edition (Qs1)
Pentax 645 2014 Edition (645-z)

Mount - level if needed - year. Simple enough. Apple has been using that with their laptop and desktop products for a long time (with a couple of base product name changes thrown in - powerbook to macbook pro, ibook to macbook to macbook air). Well, technically, Apple uses "Late 2011" or "Early 2012" or "mid-2013" or whatever, because processor upgrades move faster than camera sensor upgrades and you might have 2-3 across-the-line upgrades in one year. But Pentax probably wouldn't need that.
Years in the description makes sense, except it sets the expectation for a new model every year.

I wonder if we will ever get a settled down naming.
I kinda like the "Mark XXX" to a camera series.
Basically whatever the base chassis is.

I am glad that the K7-K3 (and 645 and K-01) uses/used the same battery.
I hope that doesn't change.