Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photographic Inspiration

Hello everyone! I am back from the dead (so to speak). I have not been on here very much lately, and to tell you the truth, I haven't been out taking photos very much either.

I am here today as the title may have led on. I have an upcoming photo contest that I am entering into, and some key things that it suggests are:

Strong composition: Lighting, Placement, Focus and Distracting Elements (Up to 10 Points)
Impression: (Up to 5 Points)
Is the photo able to grab the viewer's attention and hold it?
What is the WOW factor?
Are there any special effects or extras?
Photos that have an element of Wisconsin history, culture, and/or geography (0 to 3 Points)

and I am out of practice. So, I would like to get some opinions on some things that would make for great material (I live in a fairly small town with some historical importance.

This really goes out to any Wisconsin shooters that have some opinions, but anyone is welcome!

Thanks for the help in advance.

09-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about Door County in Wisconsin- its beautiful. The last time I was there, there was plenty to shoot lakes, cliffs, boats - and some of those areas looked stunning at sunrise and sunset.
The easiest way to be inspired is by looking at what others have done. See weblink below and scroll down to see more photos.
Capture Door County Photo Contest - impressively beautiful Gallery
09-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
with some historical importance
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Strong composition: Lighting,
Really focus on the lighting. Find subjects that speak of the historical significance of your town (and/or the recommendation above, of course) and have fun shooting them in amazing light with different comps and any creative ideas that occur to you then choose the one that wow's you the most to enter with.
09-10-2014, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Really focus on the lighting. Find subjects that speak of the historical significance of your town (and/or the recommendation above, of course) and have fun shooting them in amazing light with different comps and any creative ideas that occur to you then choose the one that wow's you the most to enter with.
I am thinking about doing a shoot inside of an old hotel in my town where many notable figures stayed, including but not limited to president Kennedy and the first lady. I may have to go in there at different times of the day to see what the lighting is like.

I think I am likely going to do mostly B&W using my Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm f/2