Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The picker/packer in their shipping department should have known better.
Lack of proper training perhaps?

Packing materials are cheap; camera gear is not...

Chris

09-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kit lenses are actually much too cheap. it devaluates the appreciation for them.
09-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I agree that the customer service response was very good on Helen's part. It was one of the best public responses I have seen.

The only way to improve customer service beyond this response is to go back to the point before an order is shipped - meaning, the packing. What assurance do we have now that future orders for others will be securely packed in a box? I think some assurance from Adorama here would be appropriate. No, everything doesn't deserve a box (i.e. a lens cap, a hood, etc) but high dollar value items like lenses should get one without any questions asked.
I for one and many others I'm sure know better with Adorama. When a good company errors, for which they all will due to the human error factor, usually they go out of their way to rectify the error to the satisfaction of the customer, for which I believe was done in this case. I don't know of too many companies that would have sent another item without receiving the return first. I just had that with another highly thought of company on this site for a fairly expensive item that wasn't working when I received it. Was I happy I had to wait for them to receive the returned item first before receiving a replacement, not really but to my surprise they did send me a better higher priced item at no additional cost without my asking for it.. That is good customer service by realizing the mistake and going above and beyond what was expected.

The couple of mistakes I've encountered with Adorama had nothing to do with poor packaging so I know better. Hell even the owner of this site thinks enough of them to make them one of the two recommended. If they didn't have a great reputation then I am sure Adam wouldn't mention them on this site and yes I realize the forum does get some kudos for purchases at times.. If you need further Assurance why not contact Helen personally I'm sure she would be more than willing to accommodate you or anyone else. I'm sure the person that made the error and/or department head for that person has gotten an earful by now. So if you want to flog a company because of a human error to coin a phrase " Let he who be without sin cast the first stone". Lord knows that ain't me.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 09-12-2014 at 04:46 PM.
09-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
How do B&H and Adorama pack used equipment, any experiences?
I have purchased two lenses used from Adorama and both were very well-packed.

Steve

09-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To avoid any contention please read the whole thread if you'e going to comment on it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
When the mistakes occurred did I feel the need to show my ire and plaster those mistakes in a forum... the problems were solved expediently upon contact. Let's take your case, you had a problem and boom here's Helen from Adorama jolly on the spot... So hold what ill will you want but to me that's pretty darn good customer service.
I can appreciate the sentiment and I also appreciate the civil response in particular; that sort of thing is something I like about this site in general. I do feel the need to point out, however, that Helen was not my first point of contact. Far from it. You didn't quote any of my previous posts and I'll not quote myself from them here but the information is available.

I was going to end my comments on the matter but I do feel the need to state to anyone who does comment without reading the details that this was a simple problem that grew exponentially due to initially poor customer service. The initial customer service was poor enough to justifiably raise my ire beyond normal limits. The missed delivery date as a result of having to replace the first lens created some problems for me. Finally, please bear in mind that if I had any ill will toward Adorama I would not have made a particular statement that I made in the post previous to this. Again, I'm not going to quote from my other posts to this thread in this post; it shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-13-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Poor grammar.
09-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I can appreciate the sentiment and I also appreciate the civil response in particular; that sort of thing is something I like about this site in general. I do feel the need to point out, however, that Helen was not my first point of contact. Far from it. You didn't quote any of my previous posts and I'll not quote myself from them here but the information is available.

I was going to end my comments on the matter but I do feel the need to state to anyone who does comment without reading the details that this was a simple problem that grew exponentially due to initially poor customer service. The initial customer service was poor enough to justifiably raise my ire beyond normal limits. The missed delivery date as a result of having to replace the first lens created some problems for me. Finally, please bear in mind that if I had any ill will toward Adorama I would not have made a particular statement that I made in the post previous to this. Again, I'm not going to quote from my other posts to this thread in this post; it shouldn't necessary.
Oh, I have read every part of this thread and posts so I feel I am well aware of what transpired and has been written. To each his own, I handle things differently with my own set of what the degree of malfeasance has occured for which I feel needs to be brought forth to others attention and in what manner. For which I have stated within my posts without malicious intent though it differs from yours, along with my putting forth my dealings with this same company per your request. If you don't want response on the matter don't request it as far as I am concerned and I do suggest it not advisable to state someone as appearing ill read and lacking in awareness because they are not in complete agreement..PS I could have bolded this last part but my sense of personage advised against it.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 09-13-2014 at 02:25 PM.
09-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Oh, I have read every part of this thread and posts so I feel I am well aware of what transpired and has been written. To each his own, I handle things differently with my own set of what the degree of malfeasance has occured for which I feel needs to be brought forth to others attention and in what manner. For which I have stated within my posts without malicious intent though it differs from yours, along with my putting forth my dealings with this same company per your request. If you don't want response on the matter don't request it as far as I am concerned and I do suggest it not advisable to state someone as appearing ill read and lacking in awareness because they are not in complete agreement..PS I could have bolded this last part but my sense of personage advised against it.

"Oh", indeed. As much as you would like it too, it ain't happenin'. I'll put you on my ignore list and leave you to it. Congrats, you're the first and only one on that list. Cheers.

Again, and to be fair, I would encourage others who have purchased more than I have from Adorama to share in this thread the experiences they have had with Adorama.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.
09-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Again, and to be fair, I would encourage others who have purchased more than I have from Adorama to share in this thread the experiences they have had with Adorama.
Recently, a Kiwi mate did not have a happy Adorama experience:
"The packing was pathetic, basically camera box lose in slightly bigger box !
oh...and they forgot the free bag, flash and software..."
To be honest, I'm shocked that bad packaging occurs that often. It is not exactly difficult to adequately pad up a valuable item. Comparatively, people never seem to complain that they have received the wrong item, but the packaging gets a mention now and then.
09-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I appreciate MD's thread. When a business opens itself to the public then they also opens themselves up to public review. It goes with the territory. MD's thread is like a Yelp review. A public post like this also invites a public response from Adorama and Helen rightfully took the opportunity. It was an excellent response. The question remains though. Was the plastic packaging intentional, meaning standard policy? Or, was it packed like this in error and standard procedure for high dollar value items is indeed a well padded box?

I'd hate to be the next person who orders a lens from them thinking that it can't happen twice but then does.
09-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #40

This is not an isolated incident, look at this post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/255688-wow-sigma-17...ml#post2762913
09-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Helen rightfully took the opportunity. It was an excellent response.
I agree; and Leah did also.
09-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I believe that none of the new lenses I've purchased have arrived in boxes with 360-degree protection of the inner box, which itself is disappointing.

I'd guess that any sort of outside corrugated cardboard box is better protection, but possibly a sufficiently 360-degree bubble-wrapped soft package will outperform cardboard with zero padding except itself; I'm not sure. It might depend on the direction impacts come from, and of course the severity of the impacts.

I'm sure somebody has tested this, but possibly not. Amazon, for example, who I'd think would be the masters of inexpensive yet effective packing, seems to regularly pack the same items in completely different ways, implying either that there is no one best solution, or that they just don't care because their return process is so efficient.
09-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I'll put you on my ignore list and leave you to it. Congrats, you're the first and only one on that list. Cheers.
LOL... You're too funny, you should have stuck with your original posting of this one. Thanks for the laugh. Seriously though, being a native southern Californian myself, most of us growing up there learned the art of banter and taking it all with a grain of salt. My how times have changed.

BTW... My ignore list is still blank...lol

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 09-14-2014 at 04:46 AM.