Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is how Adorama shipped my lens... IN A PLASTIC BAG! (with pix)

It's unbelievable. Not even a "Fragile" sticker. I called the corporate office as soon as I opened it up and was promptly transferred to "customer service" at a call center of questionable origin. When I asked if it was in the U.S. the woman replied, "Yes."; the whole conversation on her side was in barely intelligible English. After getting put on hold then disconnected I called back and asked if the call center was, in fact, in the U.S. The gentlemen said he would connect me with one that was; the implication being that the previous one was not. I was transferred and sent to someone's voicemail. I called back trying to explain that I needed this lens today (going out of town) and was told everyone was "probably out to lunch". It's after 2pm in New York! The gentleman assured me someone would call back in 30 minutes, that almost 3pm.

Here are a couple of pictures of the packaging.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-10-2014 at 01:04 PM.
09-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would not put your home address on the interwebs. 2pm in NY is 12 in the Rockies? Probably India. The lens box doesn't look damaged though.
09-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The box does seem to have lead a charmed life, but you'll always have a feeling in the back of your mind that the lens has sustained a knock somewhere; like Dino I would suggest not showing your address though.
09-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Helen Oster from Adorama is a member of this forum. Try contacting her by PM.

09-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
It's unbelievable. Not even a "Fragile" sticker.......
Please can you email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, with your order number?
09-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One important question here. Is the lens ok or damaged? I will say that the Pentax boxes do afford some protection and I will also say that I've never seen Adorama (or B&H too) ship a lens - to me - in anything other than a shipping box with packing. However, that does look like it was in a sort of soft pack wrapping and if the lens is fine, so be it.
09-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMO, if the lens packaging isn't even depressed, there's nothing much to be complained unless the lens itself is damaged. I understand the frustration, though.

09-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought lenses from Adorama, including one this week (delivered Monday), and all have been well packed in a box with plenty of air pillows. It appears that they need to enforce some Quality Control on their shipping department.
09-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
IMO, if the lens packaging isn't even depressed, there's nothing much to be complained unless the lens itself is damaged. I understand the frustration, though.
Have you ever tried to resell a pristine lens in "As Like New Condition", Including Box and Papers when the box looked like that?
09-10-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

the whole conversation on her side was in barely intelligible English
That would be your average NYC accent

I agree that it is sort of strange to have a camera or lens shipped with no rigid outer packing material. IIRC, my DA 50/1.8 (bought from Adorama) was shipped in a similar padded courier envelope. The manufacturer's packing had no marks and no dents and the lens worked perfectly so I decided "no harm, no foul". I would have appreciated more substantial packing materials, however.

I have to grin a little though since I strongly suspect that the lenses are probably received by Adorama as a shrink-wrapped brick of 10, which were probably bricked again to 200 count shrink-wrapped onto a small plastic pallet and shipped to them with no additional protection except for corner guards.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 12:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Have you ever tried to resell a pristine lens in "As Like New Condition", Including Box and Papers when the box looked like that?
I looks like the box is in fine condition.

Steve
09-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sent an email to Helen and will update when it's all resolved.

As for potential damage, I won't take that chance. The box doesn't need to be crushed or dented for the optics to be thrown off from almost 3000 miles of constant handling by people who have no idea what's inside. The lens is supposed to be weather resistant but there is no mention of shock resistance and being tossed about during sorting and loading as small packages in envelopes not marked fragile often are introduces an inordinate amount of risk for problems down the road if not immediately.

Thanks for the heads up about the address BTW, good call; I didn't even think about it when I took the pictures (my security is pretty good, though; loud alarms, neighbors who don't like strangers but do like calling the police, and a police force that is renowned for their zero tolerance of bad people).

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.
09-10-2014, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...... I strongly suspect that the lenses are probably received by Adorama as a shrink-wrapped brick of 10, which were probably bricked again to 200 count shrink-wrapped onto a small plastic pallet and shipped to them with no additional protection except for corner guards.
That pretty much describes it, yes......

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 02:40 PM ----------

Sent an email to Helen and will update when it's all resolved.

As for potential damage, I won't take that chance. The box doesn't need to be crushed or dented for the optics to be thrown off from almost 3000 miles of constant handling by people who have no idea what's inside. The lens is supposed to be weather resistant but there is no mention of shock resistance and being tossed about during sorting and loading as small packages in envelopes not marked fragile often are introduces an inordinate amount of risk for problems down the road if not immediately.

Thanks for the heads up about the address BTW, good call; I didn't even think about it when I took the pictures.
Your replacement order is picked, and will ship shortly
09-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Helen.

Just to be clear, the retail box does show some signs of possible rough handling and the potential for problems. I realize this is a cheap lens but it still needs to be packaged in the usual and customary manner; I've ordered from Adorama before, not often, but the shipments have always arrived properly packaged. This kind of packaging just opens a vendor up to these kinds of concerns and criticisms.

Sounds like a new lens is on the way so 'nuff said from me for now. Tomorrow I'll confirm that the lens arrived properly packaged then "case closed".
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-10-2014 at 01:01 PM.
09-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch. Thanks for clarifying that. Cheap lens or not, that wasn't good. I have always had good service from Adorama as I think many have. I have no doubt this will be made right.
09-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I looks like the box is in fine condition.

Steve
On closer inspection I see that it is indeed square and there is some sort of paper booklet (Adorama Flyer?) bent around it Like you, I would have rolled with it and just used the lens.

We could ask Racer X 69 how much shock a pallet of lenses absorbs on a cross-country trip from the Port of Tacoma.