Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone wear contact lenses just for photography?

I got my first DSLR for over two weeks now, and I like the Pentax viewfinder a lot. It's bright, clear and useful. Downside with using the viewfinder (or wearing glasses) is that my glasses keep getting into the way when I put the viewfinder at eye level. Troubles include:

- Can't see all info at the bottom LCD, because my left eye aren't getting close enough to the eye cup.
- In darker environment, the rear LCD screen is really distracting. Again, that's because my eye is not close enough to the eye cup, and thus light from the screen can be seen.
- The camera is not as stable if I press the camera against my glasses' frame. In fact, it hurts my nose after pressing the camera hard onto the frame for a whole day.
- Right thumb keeps touching the right lens of my glasses, leaving a smudge that I have to wipe every 10 minutes or so.

Personally, I don't like the idea of sticking contact lenses (or anything) onto my eyeballs. However, wearing contact lenses seem to solve all the problems I listed.

Does anyone who shoot photos with their glasses on have any suggestions on improving my experience with using a viewfinder? Thanks.

09-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't wear contacts when I'm shooting. But I'm 52 and my focal length is perfect for checking things in the viewfinder, including live view work. If I wore my contacts I'd have to carry reading glasses. The diopter adjustment is within my correction but if it wasn't I'd still wear my glasses.
09-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I won't wear contacts when I'm shooting. But I'm 52 and my focal length is perfect for checking things in the viewfinder, including live view work. If I wore my contacts I'd have to carry reading glasses. The diopter adjustment is within my correction but if it wasn't I'd still wear my glasses.
I don't need glasses when I use the viewfinder, but I need them when I walk around. Shirts that I wear don't usually have pockets to keep my glasses safe...
09-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
consider Lasik. Couldn't have been happier. just wish that I had done it 10 years earlier. Cost is reasonable. I now have to have readying glasses, but so far I haven't had to use them to see the menus or settings in the viewfinder.

09-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you shared your requirements with an eye care doctor?

There are a few types of contacts out there. Progressive contacts work rather well nowadays. You can also check out mono vision. I've been doing that for 18 years with allegedly no ill effects. I've worn contacts for over 40 years. Don't like glasses for photography.

M
09-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not gonna do a Lasik -- my eyes aren't actually that bad. I commute by bicycle with sunglasses that doesn't have prescriptions at all. It's just that I'd like to see things clearly when I scout for photography subjects.
09-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I switched to contacts after I got my K-50. With the glasses I used to wear I could not get a good look through the viewfinder, and the diopter adjustment won't go to -4.25 where I need it. I know about the accessory eyepieces, but their availability makes them look rarer than unicorns.

09-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Have you shared your requirements with an eye care doctor?

There are a few types of contacts out there. Progressive contacts work rather well nowadays. You can also check out mono vision. I've been doing that for 18 years with allegedly no ill effects. I've worn contacts for over 40 years. Don't like glasses for photography.

M
Seeing an eye doctor is a good suggestion. I need an eye exam anyway. Last time I took one was like 6 years ago.

---------- Post added 09-14-14 at 05:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
I switched to contacts after I got my K-50. With the glasses I used to wear I could not get a good look through the viewfinder, and the diopter adjustment won't go to -4.25 where I need it. I know about the accessory eyepieces, but their availability makes them look rarer than unicorns.
See... My issue isn't related to the viewfinder diopter. In fact, I need zero adjustment on the diopter thingy. It's just so annoying that I either have to take my glasses off and put them on after a shot, or just deal with problems I listed.
09-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #9

I wear both contacts and glasses. When I am shooting I simply flip my glasses up on top of my head. Then back down. Same with sunglasses. Seems to work fine for me. I also rock croakies once in awhile.
09-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by decker1313 Quote
I wear both contacts and glasses. When I am shooting I simply flip my glasses up on top of my head. Then back down. Same with sunglasses. Seems to work fine for me. I also rock croakies once in awhile.
I might use croakies instead. Glasses don't hold well on my head -- they tend to slide down
09-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Can't help with the glasses / contact lenses.
But you can just change your settings to have the rear LCD turned off - I find this is the best option - it saves batteries and make the camera easier to use IMHO.
I prefer the cameras with the top LCD so don't need the rear screen for aperture and shutter speed info.

Two options
- turn off the shooting info screen (must press info to get it to display.)
- turn off the instant review (must press play to review photos.) This is also good as you can keep shooting without the rear mode dial turning into a "playback zoom wheel."
09-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Can't help with the glasses / contact lenses.
But you can just change your settings to have the rear LCD turned off - I find this is the best option - it saves batteries and make the camera easier to use IMHO.
I prefer the cameras with the top LCD so don't need the rear screen for aperture and shutter speed info.

Two options
- turn off the shooting info screen (must press info to get it to display.)
- turn off the instant review (must press play to review photos.) This is also good as you can keep shooting without the rear mode dial turning into a "playback zoom wheel."
Sigh. I just don't understand why Pentax wouldn't fit a proximity sensor into K-50. It's such a low-tech component that cost just a few pennies.
09-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I wear multi focal contacts except at bedtime. The trick with contacts is that they are digital (steps) whereas glasses are analog (exact). So you must choose. I chose a higher power so my distance vision is 20-20 or 20-15. I can still see up close to button my daughters clothes, but I can't read. I need reading glasses to uncorrect the contacts to read. It is a bit of a pita but for 90 percent of the time works out perfect. Life is better and pics are better but I cant review my pics easily for focus, only content and framing.

Not sure if this helps. It's a very specific case. I can say I don't like looking through the viewfinder with my glasses at all.
09-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I wear multi focal contacts except at bedtime. The trick with contacts is that they are digital (steps) whereas glasses are analog (exact). So you must choose. I chose a higher power so my distance vision is 20-20 or 20-15. I can still see up close to button my daughters clothes, but I can't read. I need reading glasses to uncorrect the contacts to read. It is a bit of a pita but for 90 percent of the time works out perfect. Life is better and pics are better but I cant review my pics easily for focus, only content and framing.

Not sure if this helps. It's a very specific case. I can say I don't like looking through the viewfinder with my glasses at all.
Good thing is that my eyes are just shortsighted. I don't need reading glasses if I wear contact lenses.

I will wait till school starts in a week and my insurance plan is active;. Then, I'll go visit an optometrists ask about single-use contact lenses.