Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bitten by a snake!

This weekend it was the Diesel (Railway) Gala on the North Yorkshire Moors here in the UK.

I have been eagerly awaiting it since last year's event and was not disappointed at all with this years turnout. I spend two whole days chasing Loco's around the wilderness that is the Moorland and despite wearing myself out, It was a blast.

My K30 and 18-135 proved to be a great combination and covered almost every situation I wanted to shoot in.

The craziest thing happened though. I got bitten on the ankle by an Adder, which is the UK's only venomous snake. As I was wearing motorcycle boots at the time it was only a dry bite so I got away light really. I must be mad though as i'm back up there again two weeks!

09-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Glad the motorcycle boots saved you. Even though the Adder is the UK's only native venomous snake it's bite is rarely fatal (unless you happen to be allergic to it). I remember a friend getting bitten by an Adder when I was a kid in Grammar school in the UK in the late 60's-early 70's. He went to pick up a dustbin lid that was lying on the ground and didn't realize the snake was under the lid. The Adder struck him on the wrist and left him with a Dracula-like bite mark. He had some pain and swelling for a few days but he healed up pretty quickly.
09-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ARC - Add an Adder

Add an adder
09-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I got bitten on the ankle by an Adder, which is the UK's only venomous snake.
Where is the photo of you being bitten or the snake? Didn't you get a shot in? I would be be kicking myself. the photo would have been sensational. I do have a great photo of the venomous spurs of a platypus being sunk into another person's wrist taken around 30 years ago.

PS glad you are Ok but in Aus we have 8 of the 10 most venomous snakes so we do love our snake stories and thanks for sharing yours.

09-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
I never saw the snake let alone get a pic of. I had an inkling that they might be about but the one that bit me was probably in the ditch that I had to cross. The area is notorious for them. Still it would have been cool to get a pic.

I was shooting trains at the time and it was in the area that this photo was taken that he was waiting for me.

Last edited by Trawlerman; 09-16-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
09-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Was it a Black Adder?
09-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Was it a Black Adder?
Lol, well I never saw his buddy Baldrick about anywhere

09-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I was shooting trains at the time
Glad to see the train didn't get away.
09-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With adders you usually only get one shot - after the shutter fires they usually get quite agitated and tend to thrash about quite a bit with lots of hissing. If you've got a long lens on, you might be able to get a shot without disturbing them, otherwise you're best off leaving them alone....
09-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lol, well I never saw his buddy Baldrick about anywhere
It was a cunning plan, I'm sure!
09-16-2014, 07:45 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
t was a cunning plan, I'm sure!
A plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel
09-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

An adder, of all things! Glad you got through it okay!
09-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You have just completely talked me out of a walking tour of the moors of Yorkshire something I have wanted to do ever since I read The Secret Garden as a child, at least sans body armor....lol....
09-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You have just completely talked me out of a walking tour of the moors of Yorkshire something I have wanted to do ever since I read The Secret Garden as a child, at least sans body armor....lol....

Still take your walk but carry a 10 gauge shotgun or, even better, a flamethrower.

To the OP, glad you are okay. Nice photo too.
09-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Don't be put off by Adders, they are very reclusive and will get out of your way long before you see them most of the time. They will only strike if they feel threatened. I grew up in the UK and lived there for 35 years and never saw a single Adder in the wild and I used to do a lot of hiking and hill walking including in the North Yorkshire Moors, the Peak District, Scotland and Wales.