Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to like the post but then I thought that wouldn't be appropriate - Glad you are OK.
"Lets be careful out there.'

09-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Snakes are common here....some deadly, and some like this Bull Snake are just plain mean. If cornered he will go crazy trying to bite you, though he has no venom. This one, out by my shop, tried really hard to get me, but couldn't get through my thick leather gloves. I took him back to the woods and let him go, he was only up near the house looking for water in the drought. I did set a bowl or water out in the woods where I took him.....maybe next time he will remember that I was not his enemy?

There are many places here where you need to wear high boots if you go walking. Those big Rattlers will kill you pretty quickly if you get unlucky.

Regards!
09-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You have just completely talked me out of a walking tour of the moors of Yorkshire something I have wanted to do ever since I read The Secret Garden as a child, at least sans body armor....lol..
Wimp - it's more dangerous to walk across the road.

Seriously snakes are adorable (but not cuddly) Imagine, no arms or legs, deaf, no eye lids to blink, all your organs are contorted to fit into a long body and you can still hunt. Now that's amazing. So why does everyone pick on them.

With Aus having 8 of the 10 most venomous land snakes we are lucky to get one death a year. And most snake bites are due to people being idiots very few real accidents.

So yes you can accuse me of admiring these remarkable creatures.
09-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote

With Aus having 8 of the 10 most venomous land snakes we are lucky to get one death a year. And most snake bites are due to people being idiots very few real accidents.
They always flee when I tromp through a trail, even if they were comfy sunning themselves. They may be deaf but hear everything coming through the ground vibrations.

They also know we're bigger than them and bites usually only happen if stepped on unseen, or a curious dog gets foolish.

09-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
This weekend it was the Diesel (Railway) Gala on the North Yorkshire Moors here in the UK.

I have been eagerly awaiting it since last year's event and was not disappointed at all with this years turnout. I spend two whole days chasing Loco's around the wilderness that is the Moorland and despite wearing myself out, It was a blast.

My K30 and 18-135 proved to be a great combination and covered almost every situation I wanted to shoot in.

The craziest thing happened though. I got bitten on the ankle by an Adder, which is the UK's only venomous snake. As I was wearing motorcycle boots at the time it was only a dry bite so I got away light really. I must be mad though as i'm back up there again two weeks!
Hi
You say you are going back in two weeks is that for the autumn steam gala
I am going to the railway at war are you going
Neil
09-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I got bitten on the ankle by an Adder
I would think that's a pretty rare occurrence, most snakes are heading for the hills as soon as people turn up.

Glad it was too serious and hasn't put you off shooting again in that area.
09-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtis Quote
Hi
You say you are going back in two weeks is that for the autumn steam gala
I am going to the railway at war are you going
Neil

Yes, i'll be at the Steam Gala. I wouldn't miss it for the world. It's been on my calendar since last years event.
I'll most likely be attending the Railway at War event too assuming i'm not otherwise consumed with babysitting etc.

---------- Post added 09-22-2014 at 02:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I would think that's a pretty rare occurrence, most snakes are heading for the hills as soon as people turn up.
Glad it was too serious and hasn't put you off shooting again in that area.

Not at all. I'm in the area again today doing a Recce on some different spots to shoot at and will be around for two days this weekend.

My love of Photography and the railways far outweighs the dangers. Once bitten, twice shy eh? Like you said, it's probably a pretty rare occurrence and it's not likely to happen again.

09-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #23
Forum Member

I'll most likely be attending the Railway at War event too assuming i'm not otherwise consumed with babysitting etc.

I will keep a lookout for you can't be many pentax users there
Having said that I am going with 3 pentax users from another
Pentax forum

Neil