Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #1

Any tips for taking self timer photos?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The thread title pretty much says it all, but for a little context:

My husband & i are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks. I was going to hire our photographer from our wedding to do a photo shoot, but he's unavailable that week. Whilst I know I can take acceptable selfies with my iPhone, I thought it might be nicer to use the self timer on my Pentax, if only because I'll get better quality images. Has anyone had much experience playing around with the self timer? I took a reasonable photo several years ago with my husband and our two dogs, but wondered if there's any tips or info someone might have to share, or suggestions on what to or what not to do.

Cheers

09-16-2014, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont use the timer for self portraiture. I use interval shooting. Say 5 or 6 shots, one every 3-5 seconds. It's easier to get a keeper, especially with kids or animals.
09-16-2014, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
The thread title pretty much says it all, but for a little context:

My husband & i are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks. I was going to hire our photographer from our wedding to do a photo shoot, but he's unavailable that week. Whilst I know I can take acceptable selfies with my iPhone, I thought it might be nicer to use the self timer on my Pentax, if only because I'll get better quality images. Has anyone had much experience playing around with the self timer? I took a reasonable photo several years ago with my husband and our two dogs, but wondered if there's any tips or info someone might have to share, or suggestions on what to or what not to do.

Cheers
Spend $1 on eBay and grab a remote (or spend 10 and get ten, they're easy to lose). Much, much easier than the timer, and you can generally hide it well enough for when you take your shots, as you can set the camera up on a 3 second delay so you can hit the remote, hide the remote, and get your shot in.

Here's a link to one of the myriad Chinese remote places. If you distrust that, you can get one from a local seller for only a buck or two more.

Remote Control for Pentax K100D K110D K200D K10D K20D K M K 7 Optio 750Z Camera | eBay

EDIT: If you're time crunched, you can probably get one expedited. Its really a lot better than having to run back and forth to the camera to start the process over and over again.
09-16-2014, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

This digital rev episode helped me with mine

09-17-2014, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took a selfie with my partner and our cats, a few things I noticed:

- Have your partner stand where you plan to take the shot so you can focus the camera (I have my AF button separate from the shutter)

- Get an IR remote, here's the one I use, but there are plenty of good ones; it lets you capture candid moments with ease

- Keep an eye out for creative spots to prop the camera

- Take a few test shots under the conditions you expect; many of the photos I took ended up blurry because the shutter speed was too slow
09-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all of the advice, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll definately get myself a remote, I've got three weeks before I need it.
If I get any shots worth looking at I'll post them here
09-17-2014, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
If I get any shots worth looking at I'll post them here
We'll hold you to it!

09-17-2014, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Tripod and remote should be the best choice. Another option is that phone app with dongle, which gives you all sorts of control over your camera, including different types of triggers and timers. I haven't tried it myself, but its not too expensive. Good luck!

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2014 at 12:57 ----------

Oh, and a diffused flash might also help, especially if you can set it off-camera to the side. Just in case the natural light won't cut it
09-17-2014, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #9

I paid for a premium remote, the Pentax O-RC1 which is also WR.

Anyhow I've put a D-ring on it (the remote comes with a hole at one of the corners, though the ring needed some modification) and tied a thin paracord to it. So now whenever I got out with my gear, I wear it as a necklace.
Probably not for good fortune, but it's a good fortune it's readily available.
11-03-2014, 04:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
Updating my post:

I forgot to buy a remote release (my bad) so instead I set the camera to timer, and took a series of photos. I won't share any, the quality isn't anywhere near as good as what I see posted here, but I like them because they capture my husband & I, on an important occasion to us. Sometimes, that's as good as a high quality or professional photo.
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This series here is the prodyct of tripod mounted interval shooting... I had no help.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/taggartjm/8U1188
11-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
This series here is the prodyct of tripod mounted interval shooting... I had no help.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/taggartjm/8U1188
Great photos! Thanks for sharing
11-04-2014, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

That you and your husband were happy with the results is what's most important.

I'd order a couple of the cheapo IR remotes now so you have them for next time (and can practice in the meantime). If your camera model has a jack for a wired cable release, a radio controlled one can also be a nice option. I have a bunch of older wireless flash triggers, rf602's, that can also be used to trigger the camera. They're great if you're taking self-portraits at a distance.
11-04-2014, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

i use the little IR remote too. For family photos, i set everything up as if i am not in the shot. get it exposed and focused correctly, even get a test shot, then set the timer and go get in. After it fires, ask everyone to stay in place while you go confirm it's good.
11-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #15

Original Poster
At the top of my to do list, or to buy list, is a couple of the IR remotes. Thanks for the suggestion