Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
They will continue to be made regardless of the consequences. I am the service and sales manager (for lack of a real title, and a real job) at my work and I am involved in all those problem. Despite the best efforts and intentions, goofs come up from time to time. And we only deal with 30,000 or so items on a few websites including horribly-inaccurate Amazon.

In one instance something we had intended to sell at a truly good price of $59.99 or so came up at $22.00, far below cost. Why? I'm told the database got corrupted and used the part number from the next field - which was 22.

Another time - actually 4 times - there was a mis-spelled word on the same item in our weekly ad. Each time I would print the ad, circle the word and put it in the the graphic artist's inbox. Kept happening. Why? Another person kept re-using an older image that had not been fixed.

Every retailer understands your comment. It does not change the fact errors creep in. And in the case of Adorama, it is an obvious mistake.
I'm not suggesting anything was dirty with this instance (if that's what you are referring to), just using my case as an example of how negative perception is generated. And I hear you for sure, on errors happening for a variety of reasons. I was a grocery (Safeway) retail manager for 20+ years, and saw plenty of that all of the time, and usually under similar circumstances that you're talking about. My points really come from that 20+ years of watching it happen all of the time. You'd see people get fed up, and bolt for the competitor. Half of them just wanted something to cry about, but all of it came from something we didn't do right. It all starts with price for me, because that's the most important thing to most consumers. And it didn't matter if you were the lucky dog who scored the mistake price (because Safeway honored price on everything that wasn't federally regulated -- until they got a retraction put up) or the person seething because they felt "ripped off" not benefiting from a simple mistake, confidence was lost on all sides, because that stuff needs to be right.

I understand that Adorama is extremely respected around here, and that it was obviously an error, but the body of work they've shown me the in the short time I've dealt with them/been aware of them, hasn't built any confidence with me.

---------- Post added 09-18-14 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As long as it was a genuine screwup, and not bait-and-switch, it's a laugh, right? :-)
Definitely, for most folk's circumstances. Just not mine, in this case

09-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

True - everyone else is perfect and never shits the wrong key.
I said nothing of the sort. None of us are perfect, I am not perfect. I make mistakes. However, when a retailer is pricing their merchandise on a web site, extreme attention to detail should be paid. There should be processes and procedures in place to prevent errors. Perhaps when product pricing is updated, the changes should be reviewed by a second person, not just by the person doing the updates.

Ultimately it comes down to responsibility. This isn't Adorama's first pricing screw up... It's been a common theme lately and a store of this size needs to really get their stuff together because there's this other camera store called B&H that doesn't seem to make these types of mistakes (at least I haven't seen them make them).
09-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True - everyone else is perfect and never shits the wrong key.
My dog shit the wrong key once, I never played the piano after that,
09-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My dog shit the wrong key once, I never played the piano after that,
I bet that music shop banned you, too!

09-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
Forum Member

If they do this in store. They have to honor the displayed price. It's the law. Sad they canceled the order.
02-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like when Walmart price matched that fake amazon ad selling a PS4 for $99