Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Future Accoring to Apple - iPhone 6 Cine
Is that before the bend or after update IOS 8.0.1...

09-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Update iOS8.0.1 won't fit on my device. I have 3.2Gb of free space. I need 4.6Gb. I must delete 1.4Gb of apps. I looked at apps. I only have 7.3Gb of apps and data on a 16Gb device. Therefore the sum of the operating system plus upgrade will be more than half again as large as what is left for me.

And I pay for this every month.
09-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's a feature: composition adjustment, now on iPhone 6.
09-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Update iOS8.0.1 won't fit on my device. I have 3.2Gb of free space. I need 4.6Gb. I must delete 1.4Gb of apps. I looked at apps. I only have 7.3Gb of apps and data on a 16Gb device. Therefore the sum of the operating system plus upgrade will be more than half again as large as what is left for me.

And I pay for this every month.
Update through iTunes. It's the only way because I have like 1 gig free on my phone.

09-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Update through iTunes. It's the only way because I have like 1 gig free on my phone.
TYVM
09-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Skilled filmmakers don't use iPhones for their cinematography and don't work with the kind of budgets that would necessitate the use of an iPhone because they do actually pursue "high quality projects".
If you don't consider Park Chan-wook a skilled filmmaker, then I'd hate to take a peek at your DVD collection...

I know the kids who produced the film And Uneasy Lies the Mind. They are skilled filmmakers. They work in Hollywood. They have access to bigger and better cameras than the iPhone if they needed it but they chose the iPhone to keep their budget down and because it suited their needs for the film. Personally, I see it as a marketing gimmick. And guess what, it's working. They're getting more and more press because of it and even an article in American Cinematographer.

Like the article says... "(Insert Chase Jarvis’ “the best camera is the one that’s with you” quote here.)"
09-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
Brooke Meyer

This Wired article puts to the fork all arguments about dSLR Video - good, bad and indifferent.

The iPhone 6′s New Camera Could Forever Change Filmmaking
Deja vu all over again, just like how cheap and simple photography got in 1902!

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 12-03-2014 at 09:08 PM.
09-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cscurrier Quote
They work in Hollywood.
I have no intention of disparaging your friends. I looked at their IMDB credits; it appears they still update them and I commend them on their efforts in what is a very difficult business. I wish them all the best of luck. Perhaps someday I will run into them on the lot.

I stand by what I said.
09-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Perhaps someday I will run into them on the lot.
Most likely not by the looks of your IMDB! You've got a great history, there, and on some of my favorite shows, too! I have much respect for the sound department, especially since I just wrapped on a feature recording audio. I'm so used to pointing a lens in a certain direction til it looks good... waiting for airplanes and nearby screaming children...... I hope I never have to work in sound again...
09-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Humans use cameras as they are because their form follows their function
True, although the best camera is the one you carry with you, and when you don't have any other camera than the one you carry in your pocket, then it becomes a versatile tool that can at least 'capture the moment'. This is quite different to creating a work of art, which is where a more serious tool is required, and therefore needs to be purposefully brought along for the job.
09-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #26

I find this an interesting debate and the article is something I can relate to. But folks keep writing about art, where 99% of filmmaking ain't art, nor aims to be. Not meant for Hollywood or even TV. Prices are in freefall. Had been for 3D animations, where prerequisites used to be Silicon Graphics workstations for several $100k until it became possible to do similar work on regular PCs. And now prices drop for commercial filmmaking just the same.

When clients find it hard to swallow the (already low) budget for a product video that was supposed to include several days of shooting 4K and, no matter the quality produced, give the job to some videographer for a few bucks instead. I do wonder how that went, but I suppose financial controlling was happy.

Shooting RED may be the professional way... but a lot of times you better grab some Blackmagic camera to get the job at all. And that was for a major industrial company. Trend is, that clients just won't pay for quality anymore. Especially if it's just meant for internal use or Youtube, which is somewhat understandable. I make films as craft, well the post production for it, and always found it a tad ludicrous how every Tom, Dick and Harry in my line of work puts "artist" in their job description. But it is rather maddening how quality work just isn't worth much anymore. Or in high demand.
But you cope (or find another niche). If the iPhone gets the job done, and gets you the job... why not? Certainly is the direction it's heading, no matter if one likes it or not.
09-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The iPhone 6′s New Camera Could Forever Change Filmmaking
All is good and nice, but putting all aside.. I am not sure if using a word like 'FOREVER' can be even remotely justifiable if it comes to the technology.. or anything man-made for that matter...
09-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Boy do we need a sarcasm tag.
09-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Boy do we need a sarcasm tag.
Tell that to all those millions of deluded teenagers following the trend and dreaming of becoming another Hitchcock .. I already can see how websites like Turtleback getting clogged up with hundreds of thousand of visitors because they all wants to see and buy that fancy lens mounts for their new toys..
Articles like this serve no purpose other than advertising .. simply stir up the rubbish, then add some of those catchy phrases to make it all sound better .. and all in order to infect the minds of young people... sorry, but I hardly can sense any funniness in those camouflaged ads.. this is all there is to it
09-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My father did Super 8.