Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I can see it now..... 11 months into the future.... This thread will be at 261,000 views and 10,000 replies.

Ugh.

09-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting that you mention Minolta.
Now, its truly defunct.
Its pretty obvious that Sony has moved on to NEX E and FE mount , the A mount DSLRs are no more and the bodies that use them are now released at a very slow rate.
The guys holding on to A mount lenses are keeping very quiet as they quietly try to sell away the expensive CZ lenses before it all comes to an end for the A-mount.

Then there is Olympus 4/3.

Pentax on the other hand, I think is better off than that so far.
And put it this way.
How much are money are you buying into the system anyway?
If lets say its a 12-24; DA35/2.4; DA50/1.8 and perhaps a 55-300mm (decent all round kit imo)
Top that off with a K3.
Even if Pentax closes down the next day, the kit is good to use for the foreseeable 5yrs (if not more; perhaps 8yrs)
Camera o/p has become so good for most users that its already diminishing improvements for the past 3yrs.
After which, it still usable with 2nd hand stuff if the camera body goes kaput.
The system does not become irrelevant to photo taking or stops working once the company stops.

Its anyone's guess which company will be around in 10yrs.
Just look at the computer makers of yester years or the 'never fall' handphone makers, etc.
09-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At bottom, "Pentax" -- as much as it refers to physical objects -- refers to an ethic and heritage of doing things a certain way. How that gets transferred from one generation of "Pentax" employees to the next, I do not know, since I know no one who has worked for Asahi/Pentax/Ricoh personally. But clearly, the ethic gets handed down. Even though Pentax did not keep up with Canon and Nikon back in the 1970's in retaining an utterly complete range of professional system gear, they nonetheless have never lost the ability to produce world-class SLR/DSLR camera bodies and lenses. The K-5-series cams and the K-3 will go into history as the best-in-class APS-C camera bodies from any maker, I have no doubt. The best Pentax lenses hold their own against the best glass from anyone. Pentax also has never been afraid to innovate, and that heritage is, despite everything, still very much active. It's all good.

Last edited by Marktax; 09-30-2014 at 01:19 PM.
09-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Ricoh buying it from Hoya was a blessing in disguise. Ricoh has in the past made some fine 35mm film slr cameras and lenses.

09-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've seen "OMG PENTAX IS DOOMED!!!" threads for as long as I can remember... :-D
09-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I've seen "OMG PENTAX IS DOOMED!!!" threads for as long as I can remember... :-D
No, PentaxIsDooomed™
09-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PentaxIsFine™

09-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Pentax on the other hand, I think is better off than that so far.
And put it this way.
How much are money are you buying into the system anyway?
If lets say its a 12-24; DA35/2.4; DA50/1.8 and perhaps a 55-300mm (decent all round kit imo)
Top that off with a K3.

I'd be lying if I said it's never concerned me. I do ponder if I'll be jumping ship when I outgrow the K3, although it will probably be in the mirrorless direction for various reasons. I've sunk a lot of money in K-mount (for me, anyway; I don't have a nice salary to fall back on), and moving would/will be painful. So I am really, really rooting for Pentax to become king of the hill!

I have this unfortunate habit of investing in superior, but dead end, technologies. Betamax. Amiga. Creative Zen. MSN Music. So I can't help but wonder if I'm not going to add Pentax to the list.
09-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter

So good to see the name Amiga. I too usually go where the crowd does not, and crowds are not generally known for discriminating tastes. Thankfully Pentax has survived far longer than Amiga or Commodore for that matter.
09-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Oh, I think "The Thread That Shall Never Die" is a deserving one. It has heaped fun at the original doom & gloom poster, has saved Tokyo from its doom countless times (so far), and has led to fascinating discussions of foodstuffs from around the world. Occasionally there are actual discussions of photography, or even the K-3 itself, in the thread, but those are rare... So, Almo, your homework assignment to relieve your concerns, is to go read all 10,600(ish) posts in that thread and then assess the state of the world.

Jim
Yeah, I only got a few posts in when I saw the Ricoh stuff, then went and Googled it. I read the Wiki (I know) and that is where I saw all the stuff about mergers and sell offs and stuff. I admit it scared me a bit, but I was also unaware of the fluid nature of the Pentax brand. As long as Ricoh is serious about the brand then I too am very happy.

My first SLR, which was really my dad's, was an ME Super. I used it for years before I bought my first AF camera, which was a Canon Rebel X. That fateful choice led me away from Pentax and the accompanying lore and into the world of Canon's history. The K10 was my first Pentax camera since that ME Super, other than a short stint with an SF7 when I was still in film, and still using Canon, and I didn't end up keeping the K10, for various silly reasons. About a year ago I finally gave into my flagging interest in photography and sold off all of my Canon pro gear. When I decided I wanted to get back into things I did a lot of soul searching and looking through my backlog of images, and it was the rather small number of K10 images that I shot over the course of about three months that made me want to come back to Pentax. Imagine all that, and then the same day you get your new camera from a brand you haven't used in years and then you read the K3 post. But I think I am okay now

Thanks everybody!

Last edited by almo; 09-30-2014 at 05:07 PM.
09-30-2014, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
So, Almo, your homework assignment to relieve your concerns, is to go read all 10,600(ish) posts in that thread and then assess the state of the world.
And if you pass the quiz that follows, you can have a cheese and lutefisk sandwich with a nice side order of bacon.
09-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #27
IHS

I won't abide having ricoh written on anything of mine...When my K-50 bites the dust, if I have to replace it with a ricoh body that day will suck. But I suppose I'll just print out a tiny PENTAX sticker and slap it on over the ricoh and move forward.
09-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
So good to see the name Amiga. I too usually go where the crowd does not, and crowds are not generally known for discriminating tastes. Thankfully Pentax has survived far longer than Amiga or Commodore for that matter.
I went with Canon back in the day because the best camera on the pawn shop shelf was a Rebel X lol. Don't get me wrong, I loved Canon for a long time, I just feel like... I don't know. They are a great company. I had a D30, 2x D60, 30D, and a 40D. Plus a cadre of L lenses, EX flashes and other assorted gear. It all just became so tiresome to me, and no matter how hard I tried, and I probably was forcing it near the end, I just couldn't produce anything that made me happy. My last canon camera sat in its bag for years with little use. I have not even thought pf myself as a photographer in probably five years. I am just trying to rediscover the joy of it all, and I am hoping Pentax will help me with that, because Olympus and Canon sure didn't.

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
I won't abide having ricoh written on anything of mine...When my K-50 bites the dust, if I have to replace it with a ricoh body that day will suck. But I suppose I'll just print out a tiny PENTAX sticker and slap it on over the ricoh and move forward.
What's in a name? I just want to know the brand is strong, and that seems to be the case so I am happy.
09-30-2014, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
I am just trying to rediscover the joy of it all, and I am hoping Pentax will help me with that, because Olympus and Canon sure didn't.[COLOR="Silver"]
Come now, I would put forth that you, rather than some camera brand, is solely responsible for generating joy in practicing photography. You haven't been watching too many commercials lately, have you? because the belief that a brand--any brand--will give you joy is the wet dream of Madison Avenue.

M
09-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with Miguel... the novelty of new gear only lasts for a little while. Then it's up to you to motivate yourself

Start participating in the weekly challenges (I do even though I know I won't win, too many better and more experienced photogs in here). Or get a "single in month" challenge going. Or, even, a project 365 or something that will make you go out there and shoot.