Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If Ricoh would have bought Pentax first instead of Hoya we would have had FF for a number of years now. It is my understanding that Pentax development of a FF dslr which had been going since 2000-01 (a time that coincides with the emergence of the Amigos to market) was plagued by sensor issues, was pressured by Hoya to can the project. All those who resent Pentax for delaying the FF should really direct their frustration at Hoya. (This is the reason why i don't buy their filters...)

09-30-2014, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Come now, I would put forth that you, rather than some camera brand, is solely responsible for generating joy in practicing photography. You haven't been watching too many commercials lately, have you? because the belief that a brand--any brand--will give you joy is the wet dream of Madison Avenue.

M
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have to agree with Miguel... the novelty of new gear only lasts for a little while. Then it's up to you to motivate yourself

Start participating in the weekly challenges (I do even though I know I won't win, too many better and more experienced photogs in here). Or get a "single in month" challenge going. Or, even, a project 365 or something that will make you go out there and shoot.
I understand where you guys are coming from, and I think I might have misrepresented myself there. When I fell out of love with photography, as it were, I had been using Canon for many years. After I sold off all my gear I couldn't bear the thought of having no camera at all, so I bought a little Oly Pen and a couple of lenses. I even bought a KM-to-Oly adapter to use my P-A lenses with, though the results were less than good, IMO. I had hoped after divesting myself of all that gear that this simple little camera would help me to almost kind of reset myself in a photographic sense. It had nothing to do with what brand it was or anything. I have been doing this too long, and started out when not every Tom, Dick, and Mary had a digicam and thought they were suddenly Ansel Adams. I know that the brand isn't what makes the photographer, and I have known many photogs that really believed that. I personally have no brand loyalty at all. I chose Pentax because when I was ready to dip my toe back in the water I looked over all my work and saw that I really liked what I what I had done with my K10. I also remembered what it was like discovering photography with my ME Super. So when I said I am hoping Pentax will help me rediscover the joy, I simply meant that is because I chose a Pentax camera. Not because I think Pentax is going to magically make me a happy photographer again. When all the newness wears off we shall see where I find myself, but for the moment I am full of hope, and that is something I have not felt in a long time, in photographical terms anyway.

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 06:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
If Ricoh would have bought Pentax first instead of Hoya we would have had FF for a number of years now. It is my understanding that Pentax development of a FF dslr which had been going since 2000-01 (a time that coincides with the emergence of the Amigos to market) was plagued by sensor issues, was pressured by Hoya to can the project. All those who resent Pentax for delaying the FF should really direct their frustration at Hoya. (This is the reason why i don't buy their filters...)
Wasn't that the MZ D? The film version of that camera was pretty sweet. My ex girlfriend used to salivate over it at Norman's while I drooled over the EOS 3.
09-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Pentax canned the MZ D because the sensor was crap. Just take a look at reviews of the Contax N which used the same sensor. Kyocera pulled the plug on Contax after that failure.
09-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Go and look at How much money Sony is loosing and after that go and see how much money Ricoh is doing . !!
That could change your mine.

09-30-2014, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
I understand where you guys are coming from, and I think I might have misrepresented myself there. When I fell out of love with photography, as it were, I had been using Canon for many years. After I sold off all my gear I couldn't bear the thought of having no camera at all, so I bought a little Oly Pen and a couple of lenses. I even bought a KM-to-Oly adapter to use my P-A lenses with, though the results were less than good, IMO. I had hoped after divesting myself of all that gear that this simple little camera would help me to almost kind of reset myself in a photographic sense. It had nothing to do with what brand it was or anything. I have been doing this too long, and started out when not every Tom, Dick, and Mary had a digicam and thought they were suddenly Ansel Adams. I know that the brand isn't what makes the photographer, and I have known many photogs that really believed that. I personally have no brand loyalty at all. I chose Pentax because when I was ready to dip my toe back in the water I looked over all my work and saw that I really liked what I what I had done with my K10. I also remembered what it was like discovering photography with my ME Super. So when I said I am hoping Pentax will help me rediscover the joy, I simply meant that is because I chose a Pentax camera. Not because I think Pentax is going to magically make me a happy photographer again. When all the newness wears off we shall see where I find myself, but for the moment I am full of hope, and that is something I have not felt in a long time, in photographical terms anyway.

---------- Post added 09-30-2014 at 06:28 PM ----------

Wasn't that the MZ D? The film version of that camera was pretty sweet. My ex girlfriend used to salivate over it at Norman's while I drooled over the EOS 3.
Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.

but for the moment I am full of hope, and that is something I have not felt in a long time, in photographical terms anyway.
I want to believe that we practice photography in the spirit of hope, and take joy in the process of creating imagery, regardless of how the end results are.

M
09-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #36
IHS

What's in a name? I just want to know the brand is strong, and that seems to be the case so I am happy.
A lot really...PENTAX has a reputation that ricoh could never hope to match. I don't care who owns Pentax, as long as they do a good job of staying semi-competitive, put out innovative products and not screw up a good thing. (like Hoya did) Fortunately ricoh seems to already know that their cameras are crap and so far have only changed the name on the p&s stuff. WG, MX1 etc...How long will it last? Who knows...
09-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Pentax cameras have had several other names on them over the years and there have also been Pentax mount Ricoh film cameras and lenses, most of which were actually decent. The anti K-3 thread, it's just a long running joke. The OP was all doom and gloom and the whole comedic routine started from that. Several people in the thread already have K-3's. I'm not worried about Ricoh. I would like to see them keep the Pentax name forever but that's up to them, and so long as they make K mount cameras I really can't fuss at them much if they choose to put Ricoh on them too. Pentax cameras have not always been branded just Pentax. No big deal. I'm kind of glad Ricoh was the one who bought them out. Looks like Ricoh cares, which is more than Hoya seemed to most of the time...
Yes, but before the Hoya boys got hold of it, it was the same company. The actual company name was Asahi Optical well into the 1980s. They went by Pentax due to the success of the 1957 SLR and became known as Pentax unofficially for a long time. They kind of just made it official.

09-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #38
Site Supporter

I admit to being away for a long time, but I would think news like this would have gotten back to me somehow. As someone who just went and bought into Pentax all over again I am suddenly worried that they might become the next Konica-Minolta. I love Pentax, I always have. My first camera was an Me Super. When I decided to return to DSLR's, over a year after selling off all of my Canon pro gear, I decided to go Pentax. Now, and quite suddenly, I get this news from the "Why I Won't Buy A K3" thread.

I don't have any personal issues with Ricoh, I even have an old Ricoh Manual camera with a Pentax-M lens on it sitting on my shelf, but the thought that future Pentax cameras might say Ricoh on them, or even worse, that they might just fold altogether has me pretty worried. Not so much from an availability standpoint, after all I just bought a six year old camera and love it, but more from a long term support standpoint. I mean I never thought I'd see the name Minolta go away, but now it's Sony. I know a lot of old Minolta and KM users that felt very betrayed by that. Including myself to an extent, as I used a Maxxum 7 film camera for a few years, and was waiting eagerly for the 7D to come out. I had given up on that and gone all in on Canon by the time it finally did, and then as soon as we had KM they were gone and Sony popped up with their assets.

I am not completely sure where I am going with this, I am just in shock. If Pentax isn't Pentax anymore, where does that leave us?
That thread is labeled "Warning Satire" in the title and has the following at the end of the 1st post in the thread.

QuoteQuote:
Mod disclaimer: this thread has turned into a humorous discussion and it no longer reflects facts about the Pentax K-3 DSLR. Enter and post at your own risk, and have fun!
It is essentially a satire thread that started long before the K-3 came out. In fact, it was mocking the fact that some think Pentax is defunct. As a matter of fact, I had the Manager of a Wolf Camera tell me that in 1989.
09-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That thread is labeled "Warning Satire" in the title and has the following at the end of the 1st post in the thread.

It is essentially a satire thread that started long before the K-3 came out. In fact, it was mocking the fact that some think Pentax is defunct. As a matter of fact, I had the Manager of a Wolf Camera tell me that in 1989.
Yeah, I have pretty much been told by now. This thread was posted as the panicked reaction of a tired mind upon reading upsetting news. I blew it all out of proportion before really doing my due diligence. For that I do apologize, however I feel it has sparked a nice little discussion. I've certainly learned a lot
10-01-2014, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing to apologize for, almo.
10-01-2014, 05:37 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Nothing to apologize for, almo.
Thanks Parallax
10-01-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

What's in a name? I just want to know the brand is strong, and that seems to be the case so I am happy.
Name does not mean a lot to represent how company is strong. The actual product does. There are plenty examples when the name is the same, but new management kills the brand.
10-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I have this unfortunate habit of investing in superior, but dead end, technologies. Betamax. Amiga. Creative Zen
My Zen Micro is on the desk beside me. I also have an ipod, but the Zen is better in almost every way.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 06:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
I won't abide having ricoh written on anything of mine...When my K-50 bites the dust, if I have to replace it with a ricoh body that day will suck.
Too late. I believe it says Ricoh on the bottom of your K-50.

Steve
10-01-2014, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My Zen Micro is on the desk beside me. I also have an ipod, but the Zen is better in almost every way.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 06:57 AM ----------

Too late. I believe it says Ricoh on the bottom of your K-50.

Steve
This thread is veering dangerously close to another that is a brother by a different mother.
10-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This thread is veering dangerously close to another that is a brother by a different mother.
Twin brother by a different mother.