Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quick lens change....

Don't see this is Pentax but this looks to be a neat idea.

The Lens Flipper: A Super Simple Mount Accessory that Lets You Swap Lenses in a Flash

10-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the Chinese knock-offs alluded to in the thread will appear soon - and these could include K-mount.
10-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A lens turret would be quicker...

Or just carry a second camera - you might as well given you're walking around with everything dangling around your neck.
10-16-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Or just carry a second camera - you might as well given you're walking around with everything dangling around your neck.
Exactly..

10-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The screws that hold the lens mounting plate to the body are about 4 millimeters long, sometimes less. That drop action shown in the clip is a nice way to rip the mount plate from the body and throw your nice big lens to the ground.
10-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The unused side of the lens holder is left exposed and pointing upwards, where it would collect dust/sand. There is no way I would mount my lens onto that.
10-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The unused side of the lens holder is left exposed and pointing upwards, where it would collect dust/sand. There is no way I would mount my lens onto that.
I would hope the lens holder has some kind of plate between the opposing mounts. I would assume they did that unless I was shown otherwise.

10-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
You would simply put a lens cap on that. Same as you would any lens. It was the first thing I thought of as well.
10-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
You would simply put a lens cap on that. Same as you would any lens. It was the first thing I thought of as well.
Of course, but why should a "quick change" system require even that? I can't think of any great advantage in keeping the center open, or any great disadvantage to putting a plate in there (other than a minor cost increase, which should be no issue with their high margins).
10-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
That drop action shown in the clip is a nice way to rip the mount plate from the body....
Also crush the jewels.

I have some back-to-back Opteka caps that I put 2 DA Limited onto, but it is not hanging from my neck.
10-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Of course, but why should a "quick change" system require even that? I can't think of any great advantage in keeping the center open, or any great disadvantage to putting a plate in there (other than a minor cost increase, which should be no issue with their high margins).
So I wander around and dust, etc, falls in the top but lands on the centre plate. I then swap lenses and when the unit reverses all that crap lands on the mount end of the lens???? You would need to cap it regardless. A centre plate would not keep anything clean...
10-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
So I wander around and dust, etc, falls in the top but lands on the centre plate. I then swap lenses and when the unit reverses all that crap lands on the mount end of the lens???? You would need to cap it regardless. A centre plate would not keep anything clean...
Good point, I suppose you're right. A swapped out lens normally needs to be capped anyway, so maybe that shouldn't be considered a big time waster - easier to just put the cap on the Lens Flipper than have to go through the whole process of swapping lenses in and out of a carrier.

Still, I can't help thinking there must be a better way than to require the lens cap ... Nevertheless, camera stores love to leave used lenses standing in their cases uncapped for months on end, so how bad can a little dust be? Just as long as it's protected from pebbles, sand blasts, ocean spray, and the like, I don't think a little dust falling in there will hurt, and anything bigger can be shaken out in one second before putting the other lens on.
10-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Yep. I don't see much advantage in this gadget.
10-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Without the strap, and the locking release, and with a rubber o ring to help keep out dust -- Op/Tech USA makes a double lens cap that you can use sort of like this. It's like $18. OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap
10-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Without the strap, and the locking release, and with a rubber o ring to help keep out dust -- Op/Tech USA makes a double lens cap that you can use sort of like this. It's like $18. OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap
That is the one I mentioned. They are handy to have 2 small lenses in one spot without them clacking together.