Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its not the cloth its the bit of grit on the lens when you rub it with the cloth. Always use a blower first to get the grit off before using a cloth.

Older coatings were softer than what we have today so more easily scratched.

10-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vagabond79 Quote
Question about cleaning marks: How do they happen? Is it from improper cleaning? I always use cleaning oil and a microfiber cloth so it's hard to imagine that could scratch the coating as seen in the picture of this lens.
Yeah, they are usually from improper cleaning - someone must have been careless and wiped the glass with his sleeve. I suggest to not worry too much - the price appears to be ok, as long as there is no mechanical issues, glass is clean and bright - and you got just only this mark - I would simple use the lens. Things like cleaning marks or dust are usually expected from older , used lenses - some sellers mention them , but for that accuracy and quality of service one usually pays premium, especially if lens has none of them :P - other than that, I've learnt that lens buying from occasional sellers always by definition means that they will have some sort of issue. On the other hand, If your seller is a dealer and hasn't mention the coating mark in the description - I would avoid this seller next time.
10-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Yeah, they are usually from improper cleaning - someone must have been careless and wiped the glass with his sleeve. I suggest to not worry too much - the price appears to be ok, as long as there is no mechanical issues, glass is clean and bright - and you got just only this mark - I would simple use the lens. Things like cleaning marks or dust are usually expected from older , used lenses - some sellers mention them , but for that accuracy and quality of service one usually pays premium, especially if lens has none of them :P - other than that, I've learnt that lens buying from occasional sellers always by definition means that they will have some sort of issue. On the other hand, If your seller is a dealer and hasn't mention the coating mark in the description - I would avoid this seller next time.
I guess the only real concern I have is what happens if/when I go to sell it. When I disclose that scratch on the coating it will pretty severely affect the value of the lens. I would guess the lens would sell for somewhere around $85. Right now I don't plan on selling but it's always good to keep that option open down the road.
10-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #19
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cleaning oil?
Anyway it looks like a scratch to me.
One way scratches happen is if you don't blow of any dust before wiping, then a small sharp particle can get rubbed into the glass. Also wad up you cleaning cloth/paper so it is like a small cushion--if not eventually cleaning marks will show up. Actually in normal use/normal environment you should almost never need to clean the glass.

10-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Anyway it looks like a scratch to me.
OP has stated this is not visible when directly looked at the glass -then it is not scratch to theglass - it is coating mark - barely visible in normal light get's badly highlighted (as everything ) by torch.

I guess the only real concern I have is what happens if/when I go to sell it. When I disclose that scratch on the coating it will pretty severely affect the value of the lens. I would guess the lens would sell for somewhere around $85. Right now I don't plan on selling but it's always good to keep that option open down the road.
Remember that one : Good lenses gets used - bad lenses gets dumped ? Why worry about reselling value if you haven't even tried this lens ? I didn't see even single sample shot from it - yet I hear worrying about possible reselling value - you've just bought it for God's sake :P - Try it and see if this is something WOW - what if this copy out-resolves anything you have and possibly could buy in this focal length and within $500 ?? Would you still sell it for $130 ? - you see my point ? Check the lens and see if its any good - it might turns as absolutely fantastic ( happened to me ! ) and then you will likely never sell it :P

Come on guys - please get out and take photos rather than waste time on mere cleaning mark
10-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote

Remember that one : Good lenses gets used - bad lenses gets dumped ? Why worry about reselling value if you haven't even tried this lens ? I didn't see even single sample shot from it - yet I hear worrying about possible reselling value - you've just bought it for God's sake :P - Try it and see if this is something WOW - what if this copy out-resolves anything you have and possibly could buy in this focal length and within $500 ?? Would you still sell it for $130 ? - you see my point ? Check the lens and see if its any good - it might turns as absolutely fantastic ( happened to me ! ) and then you will likely never sell it :P

Come on guys - please get out and take photos rather than waste time on mere cleaning mark
I understand your point but I believe at the same time I have a valid concern. I have taken a few pictures with the lens and it seems to function properly and takes nice pictures. I bought it because it has a reputation for being a solid performer; as do many of the old Pentax primes. My biggest concern with the scratch/cleaning mark has to do with eBay's return policy and making sure I cover my bases should I choose to return it.

I also realize it's probably wishful thinking to expect a lens this old to be in pristine condition. I guess everyone just wants that one gem that has been sitting unused in some guy's closet for years.

I do appreciate your advice on this subject. You have been very helpful in your assessment.
10-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Just as a note: I have lenses that are nearly 40 years old or more, and although I have not looked at all of them lately, I don't believe there are any noticeable scratches or cleaning marks in any of them, Nor is there any fungus in them. Dust is another story. Any lens that has ever been used, that dust can get into, will probably have dust in the lens. That is a fact that you just have to live with. I take very good care of my lenses, As I would hope most people do. Buying a good clean lens should not be that difficult. Mainly just read the listing carefully, And critique all available pictures. along with the feedback for the seller. I have passed on the number of listings that just did not seem right. Or had bad feedback. To me a sure sign something is wrong is if someone offer something for sale and then has absolutely no description. If the listing doesn't sound right, Or sounds too good to be true without pictures to back it up, it's probably is too good to be true. I have probably passed on several Great deals in the past but I can live with that.

11-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

go for a compromise with the seller of the a partial refund

$ 130 is big enough price for the lenses, I'm sorry big scratch.
And most likely will affect the image.
I often buy on ebay lenses and sometimes I have to marry. But shipping and refunds are not binding.
sometimes I had a partial refund
11-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think you should spend the day shooting under various light conditions and with a variety of aperatures...check the results carefull and make your decision afterwards...you have some day to decide, give the lens a work out and check the results....
02-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Quite frankly....I don't allow Ebay sellers to get away with anything even close to this!
Im a real azz when it comes to stuff like this on Ebay. Send him a message WITH the photo.
Tell him you want to rectify this as soon as possible and mention that you don't want to leave bad feedback.
Unless this is some junk seller that doesn't know "it" from a hole in the ground they will quickly treat you right.
You know your not at all happy with it so why try and talk yourself into it ?
Your covered by Ebay.....and your covered by PayPal........GO get it done !
Remember....ITS NOT AS DESCRIBED ! If the seller gives you any grief at all....OPEN A CLAIM.....you may end up with the Lens AND your $$$ if the seller gets shazzammy with you.....Ebay is always on the side of the Buyer.

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 08:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Check the eBay listing, to see if it was covered by the EBay money back guarantee. If it is, And the seller did not describe it properly, the seller has to pay return shipping, Even if the seller does not accept returns. Read the eBay guaranteed to see if your covered and then make your decision.
+1 on this....it isn't as described. It matters not if the seller doesn't accept returns....EBAY protects its buyers and craps on its sellers...YOUR COVERED ! Open a claim and dispute it as NOT AS DESCRIBED....and get your $$$ back !
Im a Buyer and seller on Ebay for 11 years.....believe me....YOU will Win !
If the buyer DOENT accept returns.....that is HIS PROBLEM.......Ebay will refund your $$$ anyway without even returning it......if he does accept returns....use tracking with USPS priority and ship it back..... You will be out the return shipping but that's a small price to pay rather than being stuck with a Lens you Don't really Like because of the condition not disclosed to you.
Feel No remorse for any excuses from the seller.....its something that if it was an honest mistake he will learn from for future sales and be more carefull......Ive been there myself and just had to eat it because I didn't know what I was doing. He needs to Eat it Now.....its HIS mistake....NOT yours.......... OPEN A CLAIM !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 02-18-2015 at 06:09 PM.
02-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #26
osv
Veteran Member

I understand your point but I believe at the same time I have a valid concern.
agreed, your concern is 100% valid... but it's hard to make a return judgement without seeing the ad first?

if he failed to mention the scratch in the ad, and the ad pics don't show it, i'd say that you have a valid complaint, and that you should consider returning the glass.

flip side is that a *lot* of camera lenses, both new and old, are defective in one manner or another... do you know how to test a lens for things like decentering? if it's not decentered, it might be worth keeping.