Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
Forum Member

Hi wullemaha,
not that I have tons of practical experience, but I've been preparing for a wedding-photography career in theory for years So maybe that counts.
You have a decent selection of lenses, but I'm afraid you might miss some shots because of the lack of fast zooms. Personally, I think a person can shoot the entire wedding with a 16-50 (or 17-50) f2.8 and a 50-135 (or 50-150, or 70-200) f2.8 lenses, if they don't have anything else. You also have fast and wide primes, which is very good for adding variety to your pictures (if there's any time to do it), but if you'll be shooting also in the church, or when it starts getting dark in that garden, you'll need as much light as possible - and there's a 2-stop difference between f2.8 and 5.6, so your current zooms won't make it easier for you and your flashes.
I think if you tried to shoot the whole thing with primes only, there will be times when you wish you had a zoom lens on your camera. But you can try!

And I know you're probably asking for advice on equipment only, but there are also other aspects as important as equipment. You still have more than one year until the wedding, which is enough time to digest the information regarding shooting techniques, and practising those techniques. I don't know if I can post names here on the forum (if I can't, then admin please, delete just the names, not my whole post), but if you can, try watching some videos with Joe Buissink. Joe is an awarded wedding photographer and he did some workshops for Creative Live, for example. They're lengthy, but if you watch them, you may begin to understand how he thinks during a shoot, what he observes, what he focuses on etc. And his style is mostly photojournalistic, which is what your friends require from you as well. Also Dennis Reggie is a pure photojournalist, but I'm not sure whether he did any workshops or not. So if you don't find any videos of him, you can at least learn from his photographs, on his website.

And I know how it is when people confuse your country with some other. I'm from Slovakia Some people will even say they thought "Slovakia" and "Slovenia" is the same country, just a different spelling

10-22-2014, 02:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm shooting one for a friend in a month (just sold my tamron 17-50 as well...same reasons as you!!).... I intend to have my Sigma 70-200 2.8 on one body and 21/31/43/77 prime on the other....
Thanks for the input! I am currently thinking about supplementing on the low end with a better zoom... do you think the 70-200 will be a better choice than a 17-xx?
If you could chose, would you go for a wide zoom or would you still pick the 70-200?

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
And I know you're probably asking for advice on equipment only, but there are also other aspects as important as equipment...
Well, yeah, but only because that is where I am more unsure, since I have not been shooting in that circumstances before and I am more doubting the equipment selection. Of course there is more to the shoot than gear, and thanks a lot for your input! In parallel I am already watching tips/workshops on that topic, so I will be sure to include your names on the list Thanks a lot!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
And I know how it is when people confuse your country with some other. I'm from Slovakia Some people will even say they thought "Slovakia" and "Slovenia" is the same country, just a different spelling
Haha, that's a good one. Have not heard that before ! I have been to Slovenia before, since I come from the south of Austria (Graz) and the border is not so far, but I have not made it to Slovakia yet!
Anyhow when I go back to Austria I want to travel more over Europe, and Slovakia seems to have quite some beautiful countryside to offer... any recommendations?
10-22-2014, 02:43 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Some people will even say they thought "Slovakia" and "Slovenia" is the same country, just a different spelling

Haha, that's a good one. Have not heard that before !
Yup, this really happened to me in Ireland a few years ago.
Recommendations about Slovakia? That would be too much off topic, so I'm going to send you a PM.
10-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think fast zooms are an essential for a wedding ceremony if you don't want to be part of the wedding. The 18-135 will be great if it is outdoors, not so good indoors. But some really important info for you is the venue, the numbers in the wedding party and numbers of guests. You are already attuned to their expectations, but be aware those change as family and stress iunfluence the bride.

10-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The 18-135 will be great if it is outdoors, not so good indoors. But some really important info for you is the venue, the numbers in the wedding party and numbers of guests. You are already attuned to their expectations, but be aware those change as family and stress iunfluence the bride.
That is quite a important hint. I will want to do some location scouting of course. Right now it seems they will have the whole wedding (including ceremony) in their garden, which would of course be quite nice for me. Important will be the amount of guests as well... don't know what to expect there.

Once the time comes nearer, I will send a list of questions to the bride & groom...
10-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #21

Thanks for your reply! Before I started this thread, I typed "wedding" into the search function of the forum and browsed through the first 10 threads that search resulted in ... and yep, there were lots of links and tips. I already noted some stuff down and will do more research until the wedding actually comes (it's only in July 2015, after all).

But I like the interaction with all the experienced people in this nice forum, so I thought this (for me) surprising and pleasant news warrants a topic on its own

One dedicated question that would be interesting: has anyone here ever shot a wedding with primes only?
I somehow could see myself wielding two K5IIs', one with the 31 and one with the 85 ... but I don't know if I am daydreaming here or that could actually work?
There are many wedding photographers who shoot mostly (or even entirely) with primes. A popular combo is the 35 + 85 f/1.4 primes on 2 FF bodies. Since you'll be shooting with APS-C, you may find the 31 + 85 to be a bit too tight sometimes.. I think it's usually better to be a bit wider so you have the option of cropping in if necessary. Perhaps the DA 21 f/3.2 + 55 f/1.4 would be nice if you can get hold of them.

Unless the wedding is taking place in a HUGE garden, the FOV of a 70-200 on a crop sensor body would be too tight imho.. a 50-135 would be more useful. I like zooms for the ceremony portion of a wedding as you don't want to be moving around too much; other parts of the day, I like the look you get with fast primes.
10-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
Forum Member

^Agreed. I know of several photogs who use primes pretty much exclusively. So it can be done. That being said, fast zooms make life much easier during the fast-paced portions of the day. Which in some cases can be the whole day.

Your gear list looks good, but one suggestion I would make is to forego the 32 gig cards in favour of several smaller ones. We actually use 8 gig cards. For instance, you can use one for the pre-wedding portion, then swap it out before the ceremony, then again before the formals. That way you're not risking the entire day's photos should you encounter a problem with one of your cards (heaven forbid you accidentally delete the entire contents of one, but should that happen you can just put that card aside and recover the data when you get home). 8 gigs are pretty cheap now, so it's more bang for the buck.

10-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
all you need is a DA15 or a 17-50mm, a second body and a way to carry both at the same time.
That along with what you already have: body, FA31 and Sigma 85.

My wedding arsenal is small: K-3 (x2), DC17-50, DA50-135 (FA31 and FA50 in the bag for specific situations), Metz 52 (x2) bounce or flash bender only, and cotton carrier strap, Sandisk etc. etc.

Wedding is all about speed of action.
10-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Tamron 28-75/2.8 is my standard event lens for stuff like this. You may want to consider renting one (or another mid-range fast zoom) to have on one of the bodies. You may have trouble with the 18-135 being too slow indoors.
I go with that Tamron on one body and then rotate primes or whatever else I brought on the other. The problem with primes is taking the time to change them when you need to. I've missed stuff while changing lenses before.
10-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is a lot more involved in the successful outcome of a wedding shoot than having suitable equipment. (An experienced wedding photographer with one lens and one camera could easily outperform an extensively equipped neophyte any day of the week.)

I'm sure you'll be fine with the set up shots. Getting those 'documentation' shots (candids) is all about knowing what is about to happen, and where it's going to happen, and being ready for the 'decisive moment'. Working close with a w/a prime can be very effective.
10-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hey, you can see my current apartment in that picture!
Just like sending postcard with a X marked in pen of your room you stayed in while on holiday.

No... oh dear just me then.
10-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input! I am currently thinking about supplementing on the low end with a better zoom... do you think the 70-200 will be a better choice than a 17-xx?
If you could chose, would you go for a wide zoom or would you still pick the 70-200?
I'd probably get a Tamron 28-75…..as my 1st priority…then the longer 2.8 zoom for those impromptu shots of "moments"….. at the moment I've got two weddings to do for friends/acquaintances over the next few months……. but they are mature age less "full on weddings"…..so I'm comfortable shooting with primes for the normal FL's.
10-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Btw, if you get the Tamrons 28-75 and 70-200, there's your weddings zoom setup when you get your Pentax full frame ...
10-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is quite a important hint. I will want to do some location scouting of course. Right now it seems they will have the whole wedding (including ceremony) in their garden, which would of course be quite nice for me. Important will be the amount of guests as well... don't know what to expect there.

Once the time comes nearer, I will send a list of questions to the bride & groom...
You're well ahead thinking about these things now, that time will be here before you know it.
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
..., a second body and a way to carry both at the same time.
How important so you're not banging cameras into each other.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
There is a lot more involved in the successful outcome of a wedding shoot than having suitable equipment. (An experienced wedding photographer with one lens and one camera could easily outperform an extensively equipped neophyte any day of the week.)

I'm sure you'll be fine with the set up shots. Getting those 'documentation' shots (candids) is all about knowing what is about to happen, and where it's going to happen, and being ready for the 'decisive moment'. Working close with a w/a prime can be very effective.
So true!
10-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done it before even with 2 manual focus lenses 25f2.8 and 58f1.8 and an external flash. There is a lot to do with your skills although your equipment is equally important. If I can only choose one lens and one camera, then I would take the DA*16-50f2.8 (or Tamron or Sigma if you choose). But I do need a flash... I would not take a long (or zoom) lens, as people will cut in front of you.