Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
Those LED panels might prove to be useful - they're used by pro photographers, too. They're not a substitute for flash, they're less powerful, but if that's all you have... better than nothing.

There seem to be no windows on that church. Which might not be bad - it means that the entire church is lit artificially. The question is, will enough lights be on? If you can, check it in advance, and find out if there's anyone who can turn more lights on for you, if you need it, and if they're willing to do it.
Also check how far you'll be standing from the couple when they exchange the rings, and if that Tamron 90mm f2.8 will give you just the field of view you want/need. Don't forget to turn on the limit switch, 'cause the lens might hunt in low light, and this one has a very long focus throw. You might miss the shot because of it. Turning on the limit switch will help a little.
good point about turning up the lights. I will write email the priest tomorrow and mention it. This church is tiny, it seems to be maybe 20-25 feet in width. I think they do have small windows, but it will be majorly artificial light.

Do you think it would help to buy or rent the DA50 for the ceremony? I am wondering if it will be helpful. They offered it, but I don't want them to waste money if I won't use it. Given the size of the church I might use it in place of 90 F2.8.

10-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Do you think it would help to buy or rent the DA50 for the ceremony? I am wondering if it will be helpful. They offered it, but I don't want them to waste money if I won't use it. Given the size of the church I might use it in place of 90 F2.8.
There may be other members here with more experience (I've never shot a wedding, only as a guest), but I'd be afraid that that 90mm Tamron might be too long in such a small church. Do a little test for yourself - stand a couple of feet away from somebody, focus on their hands and you'll see if you're too close or not.
If the couple is willing to buy the DA50, and you're afraid of wasting their money, maybe the solution is to have them rent it for you?
10-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Hi,

I did the photoshoot. The bottom line is that you will need all the light that you can get. Having an F1.8 lens was a huge help. The lighting conditions for proper exposure were around ISO3200, F2.0, 1/125s, with all the artificial lighting on. It would be nice to have an F2.8 telephoto zoom, but with a 50mm I at least got very close, which is always a good thing.

Thanks for the suggestions, it was a tough job, but the results seem to be acceptable so far.
10-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Hi,

I did the photoshoot. The bottom line is that you will need all the light that you can get.
So a kit zoom would have struggled?
Glad it all worked out for you, Rrstuff.

10-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So a kit zoom would have struggled?
Glad it all worked out for you, Rrstuff.
16-45 F4.0 was basically a bit too slow. I think F2.8 was borderline on the side of being ok, and F4.0 was on already the other side. I still used it for wide angle shots, but high ISO washes out colors and loses accuracy. This shoot made me appreciate why people would want a full frame camera, although I do think it was a particularly dark church.
10-27-2014, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Churches range anywhere from "too dark" to "belly of a whale on a moonless night".
10-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Churches range anywhere from "too dark" to "belly of a whale on a moonless night".
Yeah, it was some 4-5 EV. I really started appreciating the idea of having a full frame camera and -3 EV AF points, neither of which I had of course.
11-01-2014, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have shot over 700 weddings on my Pentax cameras....my only suggestion would be that whereas most of the comments have focused on which lenses you choose, what I have learned is that the relationship you have with the people, your ability to keep things flowing, trusting and relaxed is far more important than your lens, and where many people say they want documentary style photos which is always going to be a given as part of your photos, being able to work in poses and being able to quickly scout locations is far more important......the good thing is you know the couple and can have time with them to explore their physical and energetic chemistry....

11-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I shoot weddings too, and I can assure you that people appreciate in the photos on the photo when it is they themselves - it is difficult to convey in words, my bad English, but the man in the photo is such as in life - and this is important