Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, thanks to everybody who chipped in on this thread. Lot's of good tips and information here. Seems we have an active wedding photography crowd in the Pentax forum! Now who says you cannot use Pentax for professional style shooting?

10-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Particularly when Pentaxians are simply better human beings than other brand users, Wullemaha. More discerning, physically more attractive.
10-22-2014, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Particularly when Pentaxians are simply better human beings than other brand users, Wullemaha. More discerning, physically more attractive.
Well, that much is obvious! I don't think anybody would ever question these facts...
Not to forget, we are more intelligent! And humble!
10-22-2014, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Particularly when Pentaxians are simply ………….. physically more attractive.
Based solely on my own self image……the others must be quite challenged!

10-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also something that filled me with wonder when I joined this forum... everybody here is the best looking one! I don't know how that works (that's for future philosophers and historians to decide), but we are all the singe best... incredible!
10-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget the Fisheye - you may want it for a few shots.
10-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Don't forget the Fisheye - you may want it for a few shots.
Oh that is a given!
Right now I have all this equipment in ONE convenient messenger style camera bag almost all the time:
K-5IIs, Sigma 15 fisheye, FA 31, FA 85, Cactus RF60, Cactus V6, fold-able reflector, Battery grip, charging cables, batteries...

Did I mention how awesome it is that Pentax is small and lightweight?

So whatever setup it will be for the second body will go into my other camera bag (a backpack, currently holding the two zooms, the M 50, the ME and the K1000SE for storage), without having the slightest need of leaving any lens at home...

Again, did I mention how freaking awesome it is that Pentax is small and lightweight?

10-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Again, did I mention how freaking awesome it is that Pentax is small and lightweight?
Yes it is. It's hard to get that in any other system unless you go mirrorless. And that might require compromises you don't want to make.
10-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd consider one of those rapid strap slings that carry a camera on each side. That way you have both on you at all times and ready to go.
10-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I'd consider one of those rapid strap slings that carry a camera on each side. That way you have both on you at all times and ready to go.
Good point! Up to now I just thought I'd figure out a way to hang both over my should cross-wise, like I do it with only one DSLR now... but they might bump into each other a bit.
Just did a short internet search, and e.g. the BlackRapid thingies look quite usable... either YETI or DOUBLE.
Anybody with feedback on either those or your carrying-strategy?

---------- Post added 2014-10-23 at 15:40 ----------

p.s.: agreeing to doing that job is filling my evil GAS heart with joy ^^ what a nice excuse to spend some money on gear...
10-23-2014, 12:27 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Could I join up this thread and ask a related question? I don't think it is worth it starting a whole new thread on a very similar subject.

Is there a good way to shoot the entire wedding without a set of fast lenses?

I know there are people doing weddings with four-thirds gear, so it must be possible. (I am particularly thinking of bdcolen.com, who shoots olympus gear).

I am in a similar predicament as the original poster, except all I have is F4 zooms and a couple of f2.8 lenses (40,90) and the event... next sunday . A bride offered to buy me a DA50 F1.8 and I am wondering if it is worth their money, or perhaps it is gratuitous?
10-23-2014, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #42
Forum Member

rrstuff, I'd say there's no "yes" or "no" answer. I'd say "it depends". It depends on how dark the church will be. How dark the venue will be. Whether the walls of the venue are "bouncable" for flash. It depends on what the expectations (yours, bride's) are. It depends on whether you know how to use the flash correctly, to provide a flattering light. It depends on whether you have any flash at all! So... is it doable with F4 zooms? Probably. You (and your flashes) will just have to work a bit harder and maybe the expectations shouldn't be skyhigh (so that you can exceed them more easily)
10-23-2014, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Could I join up this thread and ask a related question?
Be my guest
The guys are quite fast with answers so far, might as well make use of it !

As I myself have all the questions, I cannot offer much insight to your question, but will ask you... do you have a second body? I think that is more critical than the lenses from what I gathered so far...
10-23-2014, 01:31 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Be my guest
The guys are quite fast with answers so far, might as well make use of it !

As I myself have all the questions, I cannot offer much insight to your question, but will ask you... do you have a second body? I think that is more critical than the lenses from what I gathered so far...
Hi,

Thankfully I do have some backups - an E-PM2 with two kit lenses and an olympus E-3 with a 40-150mm F3.5-4.5. My plan was to use 16-45 on the K-30, and the E-3 with 40-150 for detail shots. Then I was planning to use primes for posed shots. I would like to take some shallow depth of focus shots of the wedding rings as they are being exchanged so I am debating swapping the 16-45 for a 90mm F2.8 at some point.

---------- Post added 10-23-14 at 01:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
rrstuff, I'd say there's no "yes" or "no" answer. I'd say "it depends". It depends on how dark the church will be. How dark the venue will be. Whether the walls of the venue are "bouncable" for flash. It depends on what the expectations (yours, bride's) are. It depends on whether you know how to use the flash correctly, to provide a flattering light. It depends on whether you have any flash at all! So... is it doable with F4 zooms? Probably. You (and your flashes) will just have to work a bit harder and maybe the expectations shouldn't be skyhigh (so that you can exceed them more easily)
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. 'Have any flash' at all is the correct question - I do not. I sold mine because recycling times were so long I never used it. I have a couple of small LED panels that I will put a warming filter on and use them as a fill during posed sunset shots on a balcony.

This is the venue:
Home

Lighting looks pretty bad in that one. Perhaps I will convince the couple that noisy gritty shots are really hot stuff these days .

Last edited by rrstuff; 10-23-2014 at 01:46 AM.
10-23-2014, 02:15 AM   #45
Forum Member

Those LED panels might prove to be useful - they're used by pro photographers, too. They're not a substitute for flash, they're less powerful, but if that's all you have... better than nothing.

There seem to be no windows on that church. Which might not be bad - it means that the entire church is lit artificially. The question is, will enough lights be on? If you can, check it in advance, and find out if there's anyone who can turn more lights on for you, if you need it, and if they're willing to do it.
Also check how far you'll be standing from the couple when they exchange the rings, and if that Tamron 90mm f2.8 will give you just the field of view you want/need. Don't forget to turn on the limit switch, 'cause the lens might hunt in low light, and this one has a very long focus throw. You might miss the shot because of it. Turning on the limit switch will help a little.