Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
The 2 schools and the university summer school my sons attend here in Michigan sent home photographic release forms with the enrollments. The parent can permit or deny the posting of the student photos on the internet.
I always denied with the option to permit upon request. So far there was one request which I denied.

However I think it is probably impossible for the school to enforce, or even be aware of what goes up on internet.

I take photos of the sports, concerts, graduations etc but try to follow self imposed rule not to pass them on to others or put them on public internet.

Last year one school asked me to make a collage of the kids forming words with their bodies.
I did that, on the basis that we made the complete collage with prints and framed it, and it was sold at auction to a parent. I did not release the files.

I rarely have put sample photos of kids up. Actually one or 2 times here on PF with long group shots when there were news and TV photographers taking the same scenes, during the famous annual Crim races here in Flint.

Perhaps I am too cautious....
You and the school can only enforce that release form on photos taken BY school employees, sub contractors or students acting as agents of the school. Neither you, the school or anyone else can prevent your child's best friend or worst enemy from taking a photo and pasting it all over the internet. If you object to a photo at that point your only recourse is a lawsuit, but at that point, the horse is already out of the barn and all you can really do is get monetary compensation.

10-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are countries where it's always the woman's fault if a man finds her attractive. It's always the woman's job to make sure she attracts no attention from the opposite sex, leaving men free to be whatever kind of uncontrolled pervert he chooses to be. After all, if there were no females he would't have this problem would he? This man would obviously fit right in in one of those countries.
Please remember to keep this discussion on topic and don't let it run off on a sociopolitical/religious tangent.

Mike
PF Moderation Team
10-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
If my coworker had never said anything about the pictures of pre-teen girls then I would never have given the matter any thought at all. It couldn't be further than the furtherest thing possible from my mind. Unfortunately, he did mention it and it got me spinning around like crazy. It sapped a lot of energy from me and I was feeling really, really down. Depressed. I posted my dilemma here and I got a lot of support from all of you. Your posts helped me get through the day. I owe all of you and this forum a great thanks. So, thank you!!

Last night I went to my LCS and picked up an album to hold all the protective sheets. I spoke to the shop owner and one of his employees who does a lot of printing and developing. Talking with them helped a lot too. They got to see my shots and they said that they are joyful and wonderful shots of kids having fun at a school function. There is a line that one must cross in order to be considered abusive and indecent. That line is actually far out there. The pictures have to explicitly show children being abused, violated, or exploited. Naked babies, kids in bathtubs, etc don't cut it. They said they see stuff come in that starts approaching the line but those shots are of adults and you can only assume that there is consent in all actions being depicted.

When I came home I told my wife what had happened. She is a bit of a feminist and she had some strong words on the topic. Removing a picture of a young girl who is starting to take on form and shape would be a disservice to her. Doing so blames her for being a pre-teen. In fact, it shames her when we should be celebrating her. This young lady has a great chance to be successful in the world. Education, employment, motherhood, marriage ... it's all there for her to seize. My job as the unofficial event photographer was to record her as she is today. The photograph is a crystallized marker representing a moment in her life. I think that moment should be treasured for her sake. Once I realized this I became committed to keeping the album as is.

I delivered the album to the school office this morning and everyone was extremely surprised. They didn't expect it! My wife was volunteering in the morning and she told me that the staff was really enjoying it throughout the day. It went over well and now I am completely and thoroughly relieved. Even more than that - I am very proud of my work!

The whole experience opened up my eyes to the power of the camera. Every day we walk around with a camera we have the power to create and record something which reflects us and the world we live in. Every moment within that day we are faced with a choice of what we want to create. We can create fear. We can create joy. We can create beautiful too. Our photos can scream and they can also sing. It was an emotionally expensive lesson for me but one that I will hold on to.

I wish I could share all of my pictures with you so you can get a sense of the spirit behind my work but I can't, obviously. However, I do have one picture of my older son that I feel comfortable sharing. It's a heavy crop but I think his expression of suspense captures my own excitement when I pick up my camera.

IMGP1527 (1)
by Never Off, on Flickr
10-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good on ya, Boris! It sounds like it worked out, in the end, just the way it should have. Too bad about all the angst your coworker caused you.

10-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
Pentaxian

To the OP, when I first read your story, my first reaction is that one person's comment does not mean a lot as he/she could say something based on his/her experience but not necessarily cause of concern. The important thing we learn these days is that we have to be cautious and be aware of what people can say or do. On the other hand, if we all take photos every day and not able to share them, it would be almost meaningless. You kind gesture for the school is a good thing that we should keep despite all these negative comments we hear these days. I have no doubt that your work and photos are all appreciated by the school staff and students.

---------- Post added 10-24-2014 at 05:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good on ya, Boris! It sounds like it worked out, in the end, just the way it should have. Too bad about all the angst your coworker caused you.
Could it be jealousy from coworker who can't take good photos?
10-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

When I was head of the Tech/Art department at a Toronto area high school, I had a guy who used to sneak into the department after hours, going through drawers and workroom assignment boxes looking for any "perverted " student work. He later had a nervous breakdown and went missing for two years. Just didn't turn up the first day of school one year, and no one, including the guys he went bar hoping with every Friday after work , knew where he was. He was an art teacher. So, I don't have good experience with those who see stuff, where there's nothing. In 16 years teaching photography, I had one experience with inappropriate work, and my guess is that it was planted by a secretly gay Principal who put it up as an icebreaker after he'd asked for a tour of my darkroom. Every other person who asked for a "tour" of my darkroom, wanted to see it during class time with students working. This guy wanted just me and him in a deserted facility. But I digress.
11-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
very strange reaction of your friend, the more you want to do a good deed - volunteering!
If it is confusing what pictures I would actually show these pictures to the people who they depict and has learned from them what they think about it.
usually the loudest cries thief himself when something was stolen ..