Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually the second time I did talk to them. They were adamant about no pictures. The girl was friendly and talked easily with me but the guy was nervous and anxious to move on. It was a strange situation.

11-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
C'est la vie. And good on you for being 'the bigger man' and not sneaking in a shot.

The Karma Police have noted your ethics.
11-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
In Australia photographing people in public is legal, one does need permission to photograph on private property, however it is ok to photograph private property from public spaces.
Australian Laws are Murky at best ..
Federal regulations , state regulations and local council regulations ...
Then there are those new laws on photographing at beaches ... Its quite a mine field actually ..
A lot of national parks for instance , no photography for commercial purposes without a permit , so if you sell without a permit you could be a Criminal .

The days of driving around photographing stuff and then seeing what is good , risky business now . Especially if you sell photo's .
I would strongly urge you to check State regulations and local council regulations before you whip out that Camera .
As I understand it , ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it !
A lot of councils have brought in regulations regarding where you can take pictures , and possibly whom you can photograph ( Especially Children ) , so beware or you may end up being arrested !
Photography has become a dirty word in Australia of late ...
Which is why I don't photograph people for any reason what so ever , people here have become seriously paranoid about cameras ..
Things were so much different back in the 35mm days , now ? I'll stick to macro , maybe some Nature and Panoramas , but that's about it .
11-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I was just browsing my new posts list and have to say that this thread's title is hilarious. It must have triggered a red lamp or two somewhere.

Shooting folks in the street - what does your law say?

11-17-2014, 01:45 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
As I understand it , ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it !
Yep, that's right.
11-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I am not a lawyer but in the USA you have no right to privacy in a public place, I believe. So take all the pictures you want of people and places on public property. However, it seems Home Land Security tries to intimidate and prevent people from exercising their rights when they can.
Really? Or is it that people have a right to privacy, but there's no active upholding of that right by the authorities, so people automatically convert it to having no rights at all? (That's the trend hey, people want to be protected from everything by the government.) For example, some dirty old guy is taking pictures of my todler at the playground. Am I, or am I not, allowed to defend my privacy there? If yes, then there clearly must be some right to privacy.
11-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Am I, or am I not, allowed to defend my privacy there?

I'd say this depends on whether the playground is a public space or private property. You can't have expectation of privacy in public space.

11-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
A thread I just stumbled upon made me wonder about that. And, of course, the gazillion shots on the net of people having a mishap:
What's the law for photographing people in your country?

In Germany it is quite restricted.
If you want to take a picture of someone you are not allowed to do this without permission. Unless it is a "public figure" or "person of public interest" or that person is not the focus of the shot, like crowds at a public place. Well, you can take a picture but you are not allowed to publish it in any way - and as most things so easily find their way online...

Even mugshot equivalents aren't allowed. A suspect stays pixelated until found guilty (though some tabloids circumvent that sometimes by re-printing it from another, usually foreign, source). And, of course, one has to have release forms signed for professional shoots.

I got into a fight once with a foreign visitor who took a photo of me in my favorite pub. A good one, too, with me looking thoughtfully at my Guinness. But I protested, lengthily, until he finally deleted it (we all ended up in his sisters kitchen drinking Jägermeister until the sun came up, but that's a different story ). There's no picture of me to be found online, and if there ever will be I want to be the judge and in control of it. As far as possible.
Just as I would never just publish family or friends.

How is it at your place?

If some unlucky pedestrian has, let's say, the bad luck of 100 pigeons dropping their load on him simultaneously... could you just shoot him for the rest of the world to laugh at? Or, less embarrassing, how to you do it with them portrait shots you share on this forum?
I believe it has become even stricter, or they are proposing to make it stricter. It is ridiculous. Now, or soon, taking the photo in the first place is illegal, if it is compromising. And what that means is up to the judge.

In your place I would have asked for that photo though... and told him not to publish it.

Btw., dashboard cams, as in what Russians use to prove that someone else is trying to cheat their insurance, are illegal in Germany.
11-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Btw., dashboard cams, as in what Russians use to prove that someone else is trying to cheat their insurance, are illegal in Germany.
Also for Dutch tourists driving in Germany? Then I would have to remove mine. Or can I just deactivate it?
11-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Also for Dutch tourists driving in Germany? Then I would have to remove mine. Or can I just deactivate it?
I believe recording is illegal, and can't be used for proof. But I think I have heard of contrary rulings. You might want to check.

It is ridiculous, because the privacy of Germans doesn't matter in other areas at all. Our secret service was giving the NSA the internet traffic out of free will... they even wanted to give it to them, when the NSA said no thanks. Or when you register that you have moved to another place, suddenly companies will know and send you ads and stuff. What the ...?
11-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
It is ridiculous, because the privacy of Germans doesn't matter in other areas at all. Our secret service was giving the NSA the internet traffic out of free will... they even wanted to give it to them, when the NSA said no thanks. Or when you register that you have moved to another place, suddenly companies will know and send you ads and stuff. What the ...?
It's the same in the Netherlands. When the public discovered this this it was quickly shoved under the carpet. I believe the NSA currently still has wide open access to all our traffic.

...So fleeing to Germany isn't an option either...
11-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Really? Or is it that people have a right to privacy, but there's no active upholding of that right by the authorities, so people automatically convert it to having no rights at all?
You can go punch out the person taking your picture

https://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers
11-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really? Or is it that people have a right to privacy, but there's no active upholding of that right by the authorities, so people automatically convert it to having no rights at all? (That's the trend hey, people want to be protected from everything by the government.) For example, some dirty old guy is taking pictures of my todler at the playground. Am I, or am I not, allowed to defend my privacy there? If yes, then there clearly must be some right to privacy.
In the U.S. if it's a public playground then NO, neither you or your toddler have any privacy there. If you assault the "dirty old man" with the camera, it'll likely be YOU who ends up in jail. You want privacy, stay home!

Mike
11-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
This one is also relevant about "things on display in public" (but I can't say I recommend trying this one):
Judge: Upskirt Photos at Lincoln Memorial Legal

Basically, the standard is "if everyone can see it, it's fair game." That includes people as well. However, it should be noted that even when you are within your rights, you can still be sued. You may win the case but it will be time-consuming and expensive. Best not to mess with such things if it's not really worth it.

When it comes to upskirt/down blouse photos, the legality varies by state. Some states have instituted additional protective laws.

But you may still lose anyway. Here in Alabama, for example, there's no additional law , but if you get sued you are gonna LOSE.
11-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a website by lawyer who's also a photographer. You can print off a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet encapsulating what you need to know in the US in terms of privacy rights, etc. Bert P. Krages Attorney at Law Photographer's Rights Page

I keep a copy of this in my various camera bags. So far I've not needed to use it, but only time will tell. Carrying a DSLR or any "professional" looking camera seems to get some folks backs up. I once was accosted by a rent-a-cop in Lennox Mall in Atlanta for presuming to shoot my granddaughter with my K 10. She said photography was forbidden without a permit; the fact that other folks were shooting with cell phones and P-S cameras didn't faze her. Sure enough there was a placard at the entry stating do's and don'ts, mainly don'ts. The Wolf Camera in the mall had had run-ins with the renta-cops too.

Beware, there are local oddities. At one point the "great state" of Florida contemplated and may have enacted a law which would forbid photography of agricultural operations, even from public roads! I think that saner minds prevailed, but you never know.