Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Beware, there are local oddities. At one point the "great state" of Florida contemplated and may have enacted a law which would forbid photography of agricultural operations, even from public roads! I think that saner minds prevailed, but you never know.
I was just thinking about this, too. I believe a state in the midwest considered a similar law.

Never underestimate the power of lobbyists and the self-interest of politicians.

11-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I was just thinking about this, too. I believe a state in the midwest considered a similar law.

Never underestimate the power of lobbyists and the self-interest of politicians.
I don't believe any of those types of laws have been challenged in court yet. If and when they are, they are likely to go down in flames. Yes, a photographer can be prohibited from trespassing on private property to get photos of barbaric animal abuse, but if it happens in plain view of a public road, then he should be good to go to shoot.
11-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #48
Pentaxian

The laws in my state won't allow for shooting random strangers on the street...but man, I sure wish there was an exception for stupid co-workers.
11-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The laws in my state won't allow for shooting random strangers on the street...but man, I sure wish there was an exception for stupid co-workers.
Depending on how that law is worded, it could probably be successfully challenged in court. If it is too vague or broad in nature, it could be considered a violation of your constitutional rights to take pictures in public places, since most street pictures include individuals walking around. Also, they cannot discriminate. They cannot allow the news media to take those kinds of pictures, and allow stores to take pictures of customers, but prohibit the individual from taking pictures on the street if it includes people that they don't know. If the police have dashboard cams in their cars, street light cameras, or security cameras in areas around tourist attractions, it would be kind of hypocritical. Even airports take pictures of strangers. Yes I know that it is controlled by the federal government but normally the airport is owned by the city and County of which it serves. In this country, it is normally illegal for municipality to say we the government can break the law but you can't.

11-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Depending on how that law is worded, it could probably be successfully challenged in court.
I think TaoMaas was making a joke. I'm still waiting for Billy the Kid's reply.
11-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #51
Veteran Member

When it comes to photography and law.. its usually best when the law doesnt get involved.
11-25-2014, 02:56 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Maybe you can shoot them in the office... use a silencer though...

11-25-2014, 05:34 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Here's a website by lawyer who's also a photographer. You can print off a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet encapsulating what you need to know in the US in terms of privacy rights, etc. Bert P. Krages Attorney at Law Photographer's Rights Page

I keep a copy of this in my various camera bags. So far I've not needed to use it, but only time will tell. Carrying a DSLR or any "professional" looking camera seems to get some folks backs up. I once was accosted by a rent-a-cop in Lennox Mall in Atlanta for presuming to shoot my granddaughter with my K 10. She said photography was forbidden without a permit; the fact that other folks were shooting with cell phones and P-S cameras didn't faze her. Sure enough there was a placard at the entry stating do's and don'ts, mainly don'ts. The Wolf Camera in the mall had had run-ins with the renta-cops too.

Beware, there are local oddities. At one point the "great state" of Florida contemplated and may have enacted a law which would forbid photography of agricultural operations, even from public roads! I think that saner minds prevailed, but you never know.
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I don't believe any of those types of laws have been challenged in court yet. If and when they are, they are likely to go down in flames. Yes, a photographer can be prohibited from trespassing on private property to get photos of barbaric animal abuse, but if it happens in plain view of a public road, then he should be good to go to shoot.
In Canada, while you can photograph private property from public property, it has to be obviously possible. You can't climb fences , erect ladders or other stands, and it has to be a reasonable lens, you can't use a 2000mm lens on a Q for example, with extreme magnification, for a shot that would normally be impossible. Although this last part is somewhat subjective
11-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I think TaoMaas was making a joke.

Yes, I was. Posted that during a hard week at work. lol It IS legal to photograph people on the streets here, but only for certain purposes. We had 5 photographers from our local paper speak at my camera club last night and someone asked about this very thing. The question was, "Do you have to get model releases?" The answer was, "No" because the pics are being used for editorial purposes. It's the final use that determines whether or not you need a release. I always use the example that it's fine to shoot a picture of a couple holding hands while walking around a fair if the picture is to be used in a newspaper or magazine article that talks about how many people attended the fair. It's NOT okay to take that same picture and sell it to a company for use in an ad with a caption that reads, "80 percent of men over age 50 suffer from erectile dysfunction." For that use, you're gonna need those folks' permission.
11-26-2014, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #55
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Being courteous and respecting other people's rights goes a long way to reducing any problems in the future. In some cases, standing on your rights, Regardless of what other people think, can do more harm than good.
I agree with this. Do unto others ...

I never intentionally photograph strangers -- it's very creepy to me (and likely creepy to them too). I'm not talking about a model, but rather strangers out in public places. I never seek to do it. I know that street photography is worthwhile, valuable, etc., but it also adds complications when you photograph strangers (even if in public).

I once took a photography class at a college campus on the weekend. We were given a roll of B&W film (yeah, I'm old) and told to wander around the campus and shoot the roll of film. We all came back and contact sheets were printed for each roll and reviewed by the instructor. I'll never forget what he marked on my contact sheet (etched in my memory): "People!! Shoot People!!" Not one of my shots had a person in it (as I intended it). A few hours later we were given another roll of film and told to once again to wander around and shoot the roll of film. Reluctantly, and much to my discomfort, I shot the whole roll of film of strangers on campus. Gave me the creeps. I only did it because I felt I had to.

I also prefer that strangers not intentionally photograph me in public, although I wouldn't openly object unless I felt I was being stalked.
11-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swamp boy Quote
I agree with this. Do unto others ...

I never intentionally photograph strangers -- it's very creepy to me (and likely creepy to them too). I'm not talking about a model, but rather strangers out in public places. I never seek to do it. I know that street photography is worthwhile, valuable, etc., but it also adds complications when you photograph strangers (even if in public).

I once took a photography class at a college campus on the weekend. We were given a roll of B&W film (yeah, I'm old) and told to wander around the campus and shoot the roll of film. We all came back and contact sheets were printed for each roll and reviewed by the instructor. I'll never forget what he marked on my contact sheet (etched in my memory): "People!! Shoot People!!" Not one of my shots had a person in it (as I intended it). A few hours later we were given another roll of film and told to once again to wander around and shoot the roll of film. Reluctantly, and much to my discomfort, I shot the whole roll of film of strangers on campus. Gave me the creeps. I only did it because I felt I had to.

I also prefer that strangers not intentionally photograph me in public, although I wouldn't openly object unless I felt I was being stalked.
Almost seems as if you're apologizing for the fact that you don't like photographing unsuspecting strangers. That is the world upside down. You are merely a polite person that respects other people.