Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Best phone for photographers??

I would love some input on what you all think is the best phone for photographers. I have always had an iPhone and was thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 6+ but I am intrigued with the Galaxy Note 4. I would like I phone that can help with my photography work flow and something that will display my portfolio nicely. Any thoughts would be very helpful.

10-30-2014, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area. General talk section is for Non Photographic discussions only.
10-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a card reader for my Samsung S5, I don't to any serious editing on that but it's nice to be able to upload jpgs I should investigate some simple editing software beyond what's bundled in the Android base package. The Note is bigger, and I think a bit better structured for folder and file management. You'll have to hold copies of the phones, though, the phablets are bigger than a lot of people like.
10-30-2014, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcap2175 Quote
I would love some input on what you all think is the best phone for photographers. I have always had an iPhone and was thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 6+ but I am intrigued with the Galaxy Note 4. I would like I phone that can help with my photography work flow and something that will display my portfolio nicely. Any thoughts would be very helpful.
I am thinking 6+ as well bigger screen and use the flu card app and use it with the k-3. The apps tend to just work with apple products and easy to update less likely to get bugs. I already use my ipad with wi-fi card app and it works pretty smoothly and easy to set up? At least with apple products if you have ipad you can also use the apps on your phone or use what you had downloaded for your previous phone. Android you have to start all over again. Hubby went android for one year and very happy to be back to iphone with a 6+. Might be different for you but we love our apple products just because it works for no other reason.

10-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The note's stylus is amazingly good for work flow. I only have the Note 2 but the note 4 should be even better with the significantly higher resolution and even bigger screen size. I'd just look and see if android has the apps you need.

One thing I will say is video stabilization still seems better on the iphone 6+, so if you need a reliable video shooter the iphone might still be a consideration... if you don't mind the possibility that your phone will bend :P
10-30-2014, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

I just got the Note 4. It is my first Samsung phone. The first thing you'll notice is the screen. It is absolutely stunning. Much nicer than the iPhone 6+. Go to a store and compare them side by side. The 2560 x 1440 is great.
The camera is very nice also. Optical image stabilization seems to work well. I don't know how it compares with the iPhone. I assume the iPhone is great, as previous iPhones were already very good, and the 6+ has stabilization also.
I haven't shot any video yet, but the Note 4 does shoot 4k. Not sure if that interests you or not.
Other than that, I really like the stylus. It is very precise. The battery lasts a long time also.
Another interesting thing is the quick charger. I can plug it in for an hour and it is charged after a full day of use. Pretty neat.
I would suggest comparing the phones side by side. The usability and feel of the phones is very different. You would probably be happy with either.
And yes, they feel huge.

Last edited by Shamwow; 10-30-2014 at 03:46 PM.
10-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The Nokia Lumia 1520 is still the best phone with a camera/camera with a phone, whatever you want to call it.

The iPhone 6 again has only 8Mp but the video on it has a super slo-mo mode now.

10-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Nokia Lumia 1520 is still the best phone with a camera/camera with a phone, whatever you want to call it.
I know it has a stupid megapickle count, but is it really the best sensor/lens?
10-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I haven't really used it, but the megapixels are used to create excellent crops. You can think of it as lossless digital zoom, something other cameras do not offer. No one wants 20MP images from a phone camera. The idea is to get a good 5MP out of it.
10-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Actually, I got it mixed up with the 1020, which has a much bigger sensor and lens than anything else, but the RAW-shooting 1520 still does okay, eg:

Nokia Lumia 1520 tops our blind camera comparison while Nexus 5 ends up last; HTC One (M8) finishes sixth

Last edited by clackers; 10-30-2014 at 08:05 PM.
10-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What you need that can really help in photography, is a smartphone that can:

1- Big screen with backlit LED source and gorillaglass type. (clearest, energy saving, super sensitive to touch commands)
2- A smartphone that can use extra memory cards, at least 64 Gb extra. ( extra storage without affecting device performance)
3- A smartphone that can use directly memory card readers via USB connector (fast, selectable and reliable file download of specific files to phone.
4- A smartphone that uses open source OS (plenty of dedicated and free apps).
5- A smartphone with the OS and hardware ready for all available communications protocols liki WIFI DIRECT, BLUE TOOTH, S BEAM, NFC, VPN (instant and fast file sharing, wireless, with any known platform)
6- Reliable GPS that works with reliable sources as google maps.
7- A fairly good camera for recording staged photo sessions (product shots, portraiture, etc. when you have to rebuild the shooting set the next day.

Optional:
8- Stylus precision screen handling with the corresponding apps for photo editing...

From my humble knowledge:

Best choice: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (if you don't mind the extra size...)
or the Samsung Galaxy S5.
10-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I think an iPad or other high res tablet would be a much better product to show off your portfolio. I have an iPhone 5s and the camera is excellent. The megapixels are more than enough for a phone camera and the IQ matches my Lumix but lacks in the obvious things like a fixed aperture and no optical zoom. A larger phone would be better for viewing but the iPhone 6 isn't that much bigger. The Galaxy Note is pretty large. My wife has an older version. They are pretty nice and much larger then regular phones but are almost tablet sized and not a convenient to carry everywhere. For myself, I don't want a phone that large but everybody is different. The iPhone 6+ is pretty large, almost Note sized.
10-30-2014, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got a dumb Motorola flip phone that meets all my needs. I sometimes actually use it if I've remembered to charge it and have it with me. I lost track of it for two weeks and had zero missed calls ;~) In short, I'm more than satisfied with its impact on my photography.
10-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I am not as intrested in what phones take the best pictures but more intrested in what device can help me with the post processing and distribution to social media. I use my computer for "big" projects but when I am traveling I have found editing on a tablet to be useful using snapseed and then posting straight to my website/blog and social media. It is a light fast workflow that fits well with travel. I am thinking the new "phablets" could replace the need for having a tablet, phone, and laptop.
10-31-2014, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcap2175 Quote
Thanks for all the input. I am not as intrested in what phones take the best pictures but more intrested in what device can help me with the post processing and distribution to social media. I use my computer for "big" projects but when I am traveling I have found editing on a tablet to be useful using snapseed and then posting straight to my website/blog and social media. It is a light fast workflow that fits well with travel. I am thinking the new "phablets" could replace the need for having a tablet, phone, and laptop.
Exactly. That is why I suggested one of the Samsung Note series, because it can replace phone, tablet and laptop. Besides, its a device that you already carry (a phone). Of course, any of the Note series is a "phablet" (too big for my taste...), so second best would be a Galaxy S4 or S5, which are about the same size of the new Iphone 6+.

To be honest, I am not fond nor big fan of Iphones (or any other Apple gadget). I've seen just too much complaints from friends, wife and kids about problems with battery, problems with software updates, about charges being made to download apps that are available free for Android and about general failures... plus countless answers that "can't be done with the Iphone..." whenever anyone wants to share a file via Direct Wifi, Bluetooth or other to or from a non Apple device.

Of course, there are many other Android based smartphones out there. Just have in mind that Nokia will soon disappear (thanks to Microsoft). Just make sure whatever phone you choose, is able to read/write to a USB drive (hot mount and unmount) because not all can do it. For example, my Samsung S4 mini can't do it (but a S4 standard will do it!). The USB port is only for charging and tethering to computer for back up purposes, but there is no file exchange from it.

Another thing that I would look for in any smartphone: (VERY IMPORTANT).: One that you can replace the battery if needed. Not one that has to be sent to an authorized service center and have a new battery installed for the cost of almost a new phone.... (Are you hearing Apple???)