Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Compact Travel Tripod Advice

Hi,

I was after a reasonably priced compact tripod that could fold up small enough into either the side pocket or the top of a new rucksack.

I was looking at the Giottos GT8223-5011N Carbon Fibre Tripod, and was wondering if anyone had any experince of this or a similar piece of kit they'd recommend.

This is the one I was thinking of?

Giottos GT8223-5011N Carbon Fibre Tripod Kit (GT8223-5011N) - Wex Photographic

Thanks

10-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I`d go with the Benro A0180T Travel Flat. It costs U$100. I wanted to buy that one but my budget is too small so I went with a Vanguard Nivelo 204. Apples to oranges I guess but that one I can afford. On the plus side it`s 300 grams lighter and includes the ball head (900g vs 600g)
10-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This question comes up here from time to time and I think there are some other treads with more info. However, this past May I had to figure this out myself as I was flying to Washington DC for a 10 pleasure trip. I was eying a Benro (not the one below) but it just didn't seem to work. I went by my local camera store and did a lot of looking. I selected this one http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=3480 from Promaster. While the cost wasn't cheap, it did come with 1) it's own ball head, 2) has a detachable monopod, and particularly 3) folded up to less than 16 inches which was what I was looking for, all for a bit more that 2 lbs. It served me well and although I have several other heavier Manfrotto tripods, I like this one for traveling light.
10-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #4

I've been using a Benro Travel Angel II. It comes in two levels of robustness and can be purchased in aluminum or carbon fiber so you can weigh your tradeoffs vs your budget. One leg can be detached for use as a monopod. It fits in modest sized day pack. I originally purchased the lighter version but it was too light for my use. The heavier version is fine. I like it very much.

10-30-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been pretty happy with a Sirui T-025x.
10-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As per usual, I'll just drop a quick plug for the Slik Sprint Pro II tripod.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/249409-tripod-re...ml#post2661724
10-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #7

I've been really happy with the MeFOTO RoadTrip Aluminum Travel Tripod.

Not cheap but really well built and fits nicely in it's small bag. My wife and I do road trips in a Mazda Miata so space is at a premium. I didn't think I would like screw extensions but it works well on this tripod. I have found I can loosen all the extensions on each leg with one turn of my wrist. It has a nice bag that is sized just right. Not too small and not wastefully large.

It quickly converts to a monopod with little effort. I have done this in the field a time or two when birding.