Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Need Some Help With Something....

Does anyone here have any contacts with a factory that might be able to mass produce a bag design for me? The few people I've shown my security bag set up that I've created to are very enthusiastic about having one. I think I am onto something here. I could patent and make them myself and put them up on Etsy, and I probably will to start but what I'd really like to do is find some small outfit that could make me an order of bags from my design so I could try to sell them in a bigger way on Amazon maybe. I don't really want to do all the sewing myself if I don't have to.

I'd prefer to deal with an American factory rather than go to China etc. It's better for our economy if I contract here, and better for me as I know the minute I hand over my design to some company over there they will probably knock it off in about 2 seconds flat patent or no patent. I'm thinking of trying to do a Kickstarter campaign on this one. Maybe going straight to factory instead of just making them myself at first. But I need a place to produce them and I have no idea of where to start.

Anyone got contacts in production? I'd be grateful for a direction, a reference to some reputable outfit. All I can find online is Chinese and Korean factories mostly and their reps. That's not how I want to go if I can manage to do it here. I want my bags to be "Made in the USA" if at all possible.

Thanks!

11-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several years ago at work we needed some heavy duty canvas bags made, a local tent company was able to do it since they have heavy duty sewing machines.
11-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You should try some minor seller. I've seen many of them on Instagram, who became also popular, in example onabags.com. Try to contact them!

Let us know if you will find someone!

P.S. what is special in your bag?
11-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Several years ago at work we needed some heavy duty canvas bags made, a local tent company was able to do it since they have heavy duty sewing machines.
Or other small outdoor equipment manufacturer that works with heavier fabrics and understands the durability and weather resistant requirements.

Steve

11-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
You should try some minor seller. I've seen many of them on Instagram, who became also popular, in example onabags.com. Try to contact them!

Let us know if you will find someone!

P.S. what is special in your bag?

It's a stealth system for securing your bag against theft but it's a little different from what's out there now. Not as noticeable for one thing. Plus I think I can make it a bit less expensively than some of the bags I've seen and in such a way that it doesn't scream "Popular camera bag! Valuable items in here!"
11-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It's a stealth system for securing your bag against theft but it's a little different from what's out there now. Not as noticeable for one thing. Plus I think I can make it a bit less expensively than some of the bags I've seen and in such a way that it doesn't scream "Popular camera bag! Valuable items in here!"
kickstarter? It won't solve the problem of who will make it, but it could give you more popularity and make a little amount of money to start the project..
11-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
kickstarter? It won't solve the problem of who will make it, but it could give you more popularity and make a little amount of money to start the project..
The problem with publicising before you start production is that there'll be a lot of factories in China that will be up and running with copies before you can get yours out the door, if it's deemed to be saleable. Even after you start, this same issue will emerge, but at least you'll have had time to realise some of your intellectual property in the interim.

Good luck with your project, though. If you were in Australia, I'd put my hand up for the Disability Enterprise my daughter works in, where the workers are all qualified sewing machinists. Maybe there's something like that near you.

11-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Plus I think I can make it a bit less expensively than some of the bags I've seen and in such a way that it doesn't scream "Popular camera bag! Valuable items in here!"
I like very much this part!

I can't help you to produce it, but if in the future you need someone who sells it in Italy maybe I can help you.
11-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Patent application first, or your idea is out there and free for the taking! A cheaper option may be a Registered Design. Good luck! (And good on you for wanting to keep manufacture local!)
11-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Patent application first, or your idea is out there and free for the taking! A cheaper option may be a Registered Design. Good luck! (And good on you for wanting to keep manufacture local!)
I will not go to China etc unless I absolutely have to. Plenty of people here needing jobs. I kind of like the idea of using disabled folks maybe. I might see what I can do with that. I'm semi-disabled myself as most of you know. I've faced a lot of prejudice because of that. It would be nice to be able to help some disabled people or vets out while making this work. I've personally lost a few jobs over the years to outsourcing and prejudice that way. It never sat well with me. But I think I want to do this. I showed this design to my teachers actually. They both just loved it and told me to patent it and make it. It's pretty encouraging. It made me think a lot more seriously about doing it...
11-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing about "disabled" people is that their abilities are often overlooked in favour of their disabilities...