Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 05:11 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax in my real estate photography workflow

Pentax gear has been great with supplying a cost effective option to capture real estate images. I had an adventure getting to where I am now and I thought I would reach out to anyone else wanting to maybe jump into the same field of real estate photography. So to anyone who wants advice, I'd like to help in any way I can. No HDR, just flash and hand blended multiple exposures.

Here's a link to my most recent photo shoot (Dropbox)
Here's a link to my website
  • Pentax k5, 31mm ltd,
  • 10-20mm sigma 4-5.6,
  • 60-250,
  • 6 YN560 (nikon mount) flashes (3x mk iii versions)
  • YN560 (650 tx) flash controller,
  • Manfroto tripod,
  • Umbrellas,
  • Photoshop
  • lightroom

Last edited by Scootatheschool1990; 08-22-2015 at 08:52 AM.
11-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice work and web site; wishing you lots of success.
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

Very inspiring. Just be careful with the ones shot at 10 mm: circular objects near the edges of frame may look abnormal.
11-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Nice work and web site; wishing you lots of success.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 08:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
Very inspiring. Just be careful with the ones shot at 10 mm: circular objects near the edges of frame may look abnormal.
Wow, Thank you very much! I know right? The distortion is heavy at 10, but Lightroom takes care of it (if I remember to correct it). Thank you for your kind words!

11-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent photos and great website! The Before & After really showcases your talent for bringing out the best in each home.
11-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
Excellent photos and great website! The Before & After really showcases your talent for bringing out the best in each home.
You rock! Thanks for the kind words!
11-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations

It is a real pleasure to see someone such as yourself who has found a way to make professional photography work as a career. Your hard work, knowledge, and conscientious application of skills is very obvious, and your website with testimonials is excellent.

Great to see you using Pentax equipment, and wondering if you ever considered using the Pentax lens DA 10-17 f 3.5-4.5. I am not suggesting that you should be using it, just curious if you deliberately chose the Sigma over the Pentax lens.

Again, congratulations on a great career!
11-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
It is a real pleasure to see someone such as yourself who has found a way to make professional photography work as a career. Your hard work, knowledge, and conscientious application of skills is very obvious, and your website with testimonials is excellent.

Great to see you using Pentax equipment, and wondering if you ever considered using the Pentax lens DA 10-17 f 3.5-4.5. I am not suggesting that you should be using it, just curious if you deliberately chose the Sigma over the Pentax lens.

Again, congratulations on a great career!
Wow, what a great compliment! I've got a huge smile on my face right now.

To answer your question regarding the Pentax vs Sigma wide angle, it was a matter of price really. I could only afford the 10-20 at the time as I am a student at a university. I am almost certain the Pentax has better image quality though.

11-06-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Wow, what a great compliment! I've got a huge smile on my face right now.

To answer your question regarding the Pentax vs Sigma wide angle, it was a matter of price really. I could only afford the 10-20 at the time as I am a student at a university. I am almost certain the Pentax has better image quality though.
Sending private message.
11-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

I really like real estate photography, especially interior design, and your site showcases some great photos! I think that the before&after it's a nice touch and shows your amazing skills. I wish you the best for your career!
11-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Great photos, top notch camera craft, professional looking site. Nice work.

Your WP theme seems a good one. I like how the page degrades only a bit when Javascript isn't enabled - the progressive display works fine, all the main page features and images still show up, only the 'before/after' slider doesn't run.

BTW, have you looking into DxO Viewpoint? It seems tailor-made for your line of work.
11-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Really good stuff, Scott. You obviously know what you're doing!
11-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your photos look professional and thorough. Nice work.
The typeface in white background colors below your business name tends to get lost in and interfere with the background image. Regardless of the specific device I'm viewing your site on, the white type blends in too much with the white shades on the windows. Any of the words in white are problematic.

Other than that it's good. Like the before and after trick.

M
11-09-2014, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Good work, though at times I find your use of flashes a bit too obvious. Perhaps some gels could help in making them look more like the actual room lighting? I prefer to let the natural light in the room do it's magic, though that probably would take too much time in post for you. (Also, I don't own any flashes.)

I like your idea to offer advice, so if I may, I'll join you. Some of my works can be found at https://www.behance.net/kadajawi I mostly use a DA 18-55 AL (one of the earliest iterations of the 18-55, if not the earliest).
11-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Good work, though at times I find your use of flashes a bit too obvious. Perhaps some gels could help in making them look more like the actual room lighting? I prefer to let the natural light in the room do it's magic, though that probably would take too much time in post for you. (Also, I don't own any flashes.)

I like your idea to offer advice, so if I may, I'll join you. Some of my works can be found at https://www.behance.net/kadajawi I mostly use a DA 18-55 AL (one of the earliest iterations of the 18-55, if not the earliest).
Your work is really nice! Would you mind walking me through your workflow? I feel I have a hard time with color, could you explain how you keep such a nice color with different temperatures in lighting (example: outside combined with yellow lamps)

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Perhaps some gels could help in making them look more like the actual room lighting
Great idea! I will try to get some gel adapters.

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 11:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Your photos look professional and thorough. Nice work.
The typeface in white background colors below your business name tends to get lost in and interfere with the background image. Regardless of the specific device I'm viewing your site on, the white type blends in too much with the white shades on the windows. Any of the words in white are problematic.

Other than that it's good. Like the before and after trick.

M
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
your business name tends to get lost in and interfere with the background image
How do you suppose I should go about fixing this? Blur the image? New image?

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 11:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Sending private message.
Thank you, I'll respond