Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Yeah, that's how it feels the first time. Don't worry, the next one will go easier.

I don't think there's a point discussing the rules mid-competition, but I agree that there should be an upper bound on quantity (of qualifying posts, or raffle tickets per person), next time. This should be fun stuff involving the whole community, not a race.
I find it very difficult to qualify for the top 10 every (free) day...
I'm always try to post something which is at least constructive, and to limit spam.
I also try to answer to questions from newbies when I can - but I was doing this before the contest as well...

I would have been pleased with an easier way to gather points (so one can post less and be more effective), even if just the 1 every day, don't think I'll ever make it to win it once.
Would certainly be da** pleased to win either the 77 or the 15, and I'm already fantasizing about it.
...Actually, I have a list in my mind with a series of shots I'd like to take with one or the other, and I believe that if I win I'd propose to write a feature for the forum, something along the lines of "a month with the xxmm", but that's entirely another story...

11-07-2014, 05:25 AM - 3 Likes   #77
Veteran Member

The "problem" is not about the rules.

I mean that if everyone would act in the same way of you, you will need 40 posts to win, not 120!!
I am doing the same from the beginning, but I realised that if you don't post at least 20 pictures every day you will never win.
Trying to follow the "non written" rules when there are some other people who don't follow them, it is a no chance attempt.
11-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Trying to follow the "non written" rules when there are some other people who don't follow them, it is a no chance attempt.

Hmm, I don't think it's fair to blame contestants for trying to win according to the rules.
Hopefully next time the management will consider possible unwanted (if there are any in their view) consequences of the rules and modify them accordingly.
11-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Hmm, I don't think it's fair to blame contestants for trying to win according to the rules.
Hopefully next time the management will consider possible unwanted (if there are any in their view) consequences of the rules and modify them accordingly.
I didn't blame anyone.
I am not the owner of the holy truth, so if other people act different from me this doesn't mean that they are wrong and I am right.
I was just explaining my point.

11-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #80
Closed Account

I didn't blame anyone.
I am not the owner of the holy truth, so if other people act different from me this doesn't mean that they are wrong and I am right.
I was just explaining my point.
I'm with you on this, just a difference in approach by folks. I ramped up my efforts specifically to get at least one raffle ticket, the other day, and I ended up finishing third -- so mission accomplished. The grand prizes are too nice for me to not have at least one ticket in the hunt. That included posting some pictures, and making a few more comments on other people's work. Add a couple of discussion threads into the mix, and I think I had 60+ posts (it was a reasonable day at work that even allowed that to happen at all). So outside the time it takes the forum to reload pages at my employers site, it wasn't that hard to explore the forum, and come up with stuff to comment on. I just try to stay away from technical questions that I don't have the background to comment on. We have some members here that will definitely get their licks in if you give bad/questionable advice (which I'm not entirely opposed to, as we should be helping with people's issues, not compounding them), and I didn't want to pad my post count from the fruits of an online bicker-fest

Overall, the whole experience has gotten me more active in our community, and I've had convos with a couple of cool people who are new to the forum -- like yourself I used to run a 1600 person online gaming clan, and we had a high traffic forum that generated 1000+ posts a day. In my 7 years there, I had over 30k in posts, with not a single "lol", "sounds good", stuff like that, regarding content of post count. I have to look back now, and damn -- I was either a great multi-tasker, or had some serious time on my hands, because I think we looked one time, and over my first 5 years, I averaged 30+ posts per day -- crazy pace. I know people have a different opinion on what constitutes spam, and what's fair/not fair, but I'll stand by what I said at the beginning of this -- contests are a great way to generate community activity, and that kind of activity can help you learn things, reach out to your peers, or get involved in stuff you wouldn't even normally consider.
11-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #81
Veteran Member

I enjoy the increased activity in the forum and the discussions that came up as a result, but realise I have no chance at a raffle entry, unless I go fishing for likes in the video category. People have become rather stingy with likes, and I know I haven't made many friends here.

Maybe for the next time it would be nice to open it up for at least the top 20, and cut down on the extra raffle entries for the very most entries. Instead maybe most liked post of the day could get an entry.

Anyway I would love to have one of the limiteds... already own that DA 50. I doubt my K-5 will die anytime soon, so I get to stick around with Pentax for a while longer.
11-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I enjoy the increased activity in the forum and the discussions that came up as a result, but realise I have no chance at a raffle entry, unless I go fishing for likes in the video category. People have become rather stingy with likes, and I know I haven't made many friends here.
I don't have many friends too, but I have few raffle entries. I think that it is much
better to focus yourself on quality of the threads. For example, I make 2 or 3 new threads posting my pictures daily, and not always I get back likes, but sometimes it happens. Sometimes people likes my posts in other topics too. Obviously if you post 30 pictures every day you have a lot of chances of getting likes, but I don't feel comfortable with this. I wanted to win a daily prize, not strictly for the value, but for the joy to have something back for all the effort. As I said before, I have lose hopes about it, because the level is really too high to achieve it with my behaviour.

I hope that the final raffle will give the grand prizes to 2 users that have got only 1 or 2 raffles entries, this would be a great lesson for everyone of us to understand that it is not necessary to step over other people to achieve a good result.

These considerations from me are meant just as my way to think, without any intention to offend anyone.

Last 2 things:
1) why there is no daily limit to post pictures?
2) if to ask for likes is forbidden, why there are some posts in which people do it?

11-12-2014, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #83
Forum Member

I think it would be nice that whoever contributes can enter the raffle... I mean everyone contributes their fair share to this community, and its not just limited to the top 10 posters (not saying that their contribution isn't the greatest). But in the end, everyone, please just enjoy the passion of posting everyone has around this month!
11-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anthen Quote
I think it would be nice that whoever contributes can enter the raffle... I mean everyone contributes their fair share to this community, and its not just limited to the top 10 posters (not saying that their contribution isn't the greatest). But in the end, everyone, please just enjoy the passion of posting everyone has around this month!
I think you're onto something here!
11-12-2014, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #85
Veteran Member

I find the lenses interesting, but I really can't be bothered to sacrifice a lot of time posting ridiculous amounts of content that'd be better spent in the library, outside with my camera or in the pub with some friends.

And I don't see the point of the whole thing - there are a lot of members already posting very actively, this give-away will only result in an increase in quantity of posts, not quality. Possibly people will even post just for the sake of it even though they don't have much to say.
11-12-2014, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I voluntarily limit my posting during contests to give other people an opportunity.
11-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #87
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I voluntarily limit my posting during contests to give other people an opportunity.
Kind of you -- but I prefer when you post at your regular clip, as I appreciate the quality
11-13-2014, 04:22 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I don't have many friends too, but I have few raffle entries. I think that it is much
better to focus yourself on quality of the threads. For example, I make 2 or 3 new threads posting my pictures daily, and not always I get back likes, but sometimes it happens. Sometimes people likes my posts in other topics too. Obviously if you post 30 pictures every day you have a lot of chances of getting likes, but I don't feel comfortable with this. I wanted to win a daily prize, not strictly for the value, but for the joy to have something back for all the effort. As I said before, I have lose hopes about it, because the level is really too high to achieve it with my behaviour.

I hope that the final raffle will give the grand prizes to 2 users that have got only 1 or 2 raffles entries, this would be a great lesson for everyone of us to understand that it is not necessary to step over other people to achieve a good result.

These considerations from me are meant just as my way to think, without any intention to offend anyone.

Last 2 things:
1) why there is no daily limit to post pictures?
2) if to ask for likes is forbidden, why there are some posts in which people do it?
There's a great alternative to spamming pictures: spamming pictures in threads that are actually made for that (i.e. "Alphabet race" and "I Spy").
Those always progress at a speedy clip, and the faster the merrier.
You get less visibility, but at least you are not interfering with the forum's normal activity.
11-13-2014, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #89
Veteran Member

I originally felt the same way as you but after a few days I decided why not get a few entries?
11-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #90
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I originally felt the same way as you but after a few days I decided why not get a few entries?
I'm sure there are others like me. I want to get at least 1 entry. I don't want to mindlessly post stuff because that's just counterproductive and a nuisance to others. I'm not good enough to post something that'll make people High-5 me. I don't have the time to chat with everyone the whole day either. What a dilemma..