Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #16

Maybe u wont buy a coloured camera, but for sure others will. Pentax wouldn't offer them if they didn't sell. Besides that, I find pentax cameras very robust and they feel just great to hold in my hands.

11-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Perhaps you "like to show off when holding a serious camera", but I don't. My pride is in my abilities, not my gear.
Thanks luftfluss, I should have said "average people tend to hold a serious camera when they want something more than what their smart phone offers"

Just as a market value, look at any ad in TV (non related to photography) which there happens to be a camera, like an ad about home loan or whatever..see what sort of camera their market geniuses use in those ads. There is no funky quirky shiny camera. This to me tells what image people have about a serious camera

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 06:25 AM ----------

look guys, I like Pentax as much as you do as they are great gear and I'm spending more and more in my gear as I believe in the brand but we know that Ricoh people check this forum. why not give them some feedback.

I live in Australia and most of stores don't stock Pentax and if they do, there are toy like cameras like smallest or ...and look at Fujifim, they arrived into DSLR way after Pentax and now they are every where.

It just appears to me that Pentax is not driven with people who think like photographers but financial people who just care about margin

Last edited by Samwise.Gamgee; 11-02-2014 at 08:00 PM.
11-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
Can I ask your honest opinion, as a Pentax owner wouldn't you be more impressed to see your current body released with more features. You'd feel more confident if Pentax had released K-3 or K-500 with a wife feature or tilted screen rather than seeing a new line of product

and believe me, Market feels the same
You are certainly entitled opinion, but as a Pentax owner, I do think that Ricoh/Pentax is going into the right direction to grow their customer base (especially entry and mid-tier level camera models). The camera models released in the last few years are more creative in the design (including color choices) and ergonomics, and even overall appearance than the competition. While I think tilt screen is useful in some situation especially in video, it is not consider a must-have feature in high-end DSLR models like k-3 (for 645z application, it may be more suitable as it is a hefty and bigger camera).
11-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have been trying to get into the collective mind of the Pentax marketing-and-design department for a while. I'm still not sure I fully understand what they're thinking, but I'm groping towards it.

I personally am one of those traditionalists who loved mirrorless retro-SLR-alikes, such as the Olympus E-M5 and the Fujifilm X-T1. If there's another camera company that I respect in the same class with Ricoh/Pentax, it's Fujifilm, and their X-T1 is close to my dream camera. I keep hoping for something like that from Pentax, and they keep on disappointing me. So... I'm looking at new Pentax products like the Q-S1 and the K-S1, and I'm just scratching my head and wondering, "Who ordered this??"

However... My yellow K-01 has grown on me. It's sort of like a Mega Q. I can't help thinking they were going for the Lomography crowd to some extent. For example, you can get a Lomography Sprocket Rocket in bright "SUPERPOP!" colors: red, blue, pink, teal, yellow, orange, green. (I have a red one, and it really is a fun toy that makes images like no other camera.) Many have commented on the K-01 or the various Q series cameras as cameras that are fun to play around with, and the Q cameras are easy to take everywhere. My K-01 even has a random cross-process mode that applies random exposure errors and color shifts to each shot. So... If you get tired of shelling out for film and processing, and tired of waiting for your weirdly-colored, vignetted scans to come back from the lab, then Pentax has got you covered.

The K-S1, on the other hand, is still a mystery to me. I've heard some call it a successor to the K-01, but I don't see the resemblance. The K-01 at least is a mirrorless camera, not a DSLR with a funky skin layered on. "Let's make a DSLR that works just like our other DSLRs, but looks weird and has an uncomfortable shape and awkward control layout!" Buh??

11-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They paid the Tokyo office of a a global design company that's headquartered in Washington state to do the K-S1 design.

But - who says a camera has to be black? Every camera I have is black (even the film cameras) but no one else in my entire extended family has a black camera, and for the most part they're much more accomplished photographers than I am.
I don't consider the K-S1 to be "funky weird". Just slightly offbeat.

But maybe, just maybe... its me?

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 10:30 PM ----------

Thanks luftfluss, I should have said "average people tend to hold a serious camera when they want something more than what their smart phone offers"

Just as a market value, look at any ad in TV (non related to photography) which there happens to be a camera, like an ad about home loan or whatever..see what sort of camera their market geniuses use in those ads. There is no funky quirky shiny camera. This to me tells what image people have about a serious camera

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 06:25 AM ----------

look guys, I like Pentax as much as you do as they are great gear and I'm spending more and more in my gear as I believe in the brand but we know that Ricoh people check this forum. why not give them some feedback.

I live in Australia and most of stores don't stock Pentax and if they do, there are toy like cameras like smallest or ...and look at Fujifim, they arrived into DSLR way after Pentax and now they are every where.

It just appears to me that Pentax is not driven with people who think like photographers but financial people who just care about margin
I think if Pentax were driven by people who care just about margin - and let's not kid ourselves, making money is the goal - Pentax would have followed the retro movement. At least that would be the conventional supposition.

But I think its possible that Pentax looked at the retro movement and thought, "Let's not go there, we'll try something different." Now, I have no idea about the fashions and Japan and other countries in the far east, but by my American-based thinking ( and I might be stale and out of touch in this regard) it seems to me that Japan is more into a "technology" look for many things, and its possible that this is the market that Pentax is looking to target with the K-S1. And, possibly, younger folks who want an advanced camera but do not want the retro look that hipsters allegedly enjoy.

Pentax has the mighty K-3... I mean, doesn't that look like a traditional camera? The K-50 and K-5 series are traditional designs. The K-S1 is intended (at least according to the Pentax videos posted elsewhere on this forum) to run alongside the more traditional DSLR's, not to replace them.

Canon produces candy-colored P&S cameras, and I don't think that cheapens the Canon brand. Nikon's 1-Series cameras don't necessarily scream "serious", but that doesn't hurt Nikon's image.

BTW, last year a large insurance company here called Nationwide had a TV commercial, and they included a Pentax K-01 camera.

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.
11-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
Pentaxian

PLEASE STOP. IT DOESN'T SELL
What is your basis for this statement? Do you have hard sales figures from Hoya/Ricoh/Pentax? If it doesn't sell then why to some of the color kits of the K30/K50 sell out so quickly at sites like Costco?

The only time I've run into somebody else with a Pentax DSLR they were sporting a red Kr.

P.S. - starve this thread.
I hear you.
11-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #22
Forum Member

They paid the Tokyo office of a a global design company that's headquartered in Washington state to do the K-S1 design.

But - who says a camera has to be black? Every camera I have is black (even the film cameras) but no one else in my entire extended family has a black camera, and for the most part they're much more accomplished photographers than I am.
Weren't many film cameras Silver too?
Also, I chose a K-30 because it was white, and I'm pretty sure there are more people like me out there.
11-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #23
Forum Member

If Pentax/Ricoh makes what Fujifilm and Olympus make, it would actually be bad. Pentax/Ricoh wants to be different and HAS to be different for them to live.

We have the K-3 and there are black K-50s out there. We also have the Ricoh GR (that is a serious device too!).

I think that many people just simple don't get what the K-S1, K-01, pink K-50 (even the Q, Q10, Q7, Q-S1) offer.

These cameras have serious internals, they bring FUN to photography and I believe having FUN could make GREAT photographs. And if you have FUN, you would want to learn more on exposure settings, composition, and other things.

Maybe Pentax/Ricoh should work harder in their marketing. They must point out that even if their cameras HAVE COLORS or fancy LEDs, these cameras pack a serious punch.

Another point is to some users, the camera is not just a tool. It can be a toy. It can be a pet. It could be their pal. It could be anything they want it to be. Cameras do not need to look serious to take photographs.

At the end, pictures are not judged by what camera is used, it is the photograph, the moment that is captured.

Just my humble opinion here.

11-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is about market share and Pentax is making money which many other camera mfg's are not doing right now so maybe Pentax is right and other companies are wrong. The Q is still a big hit and has many different colors. I had a Q and it was fun, but it was black, but either way, I only care how my pics look, not what color the camera looks like. Why the K-S1 and not the K-500 ? Simple, there has to be a hook. If someone, who is entry level, by the way since this is an entry level camera that actually has really great specs, and for an inexperienced individual who is looking for what they want, and all they see is a line of all black colors, nothing stands out. Using the ergonomics and colors of the K-S1 make it stand out, maybe not to an older professional photographer, but most likely for a new, younger generation.

You know, I have a black K-30 and when I am out with friends and want to take pics with them and I pull out the cam, they become more intimidated by having pictures from it because they see at as a pro camera. It is almost like they lose their spontaneity and look more like they are getting their senior pics being taken. I tell them to lighten up. What the K-S1 does is lightens up the mood and lets people be people for the youth who want to see selfies and cool LED's (after they have had a few beers) and when they see the pics, they will be hooked, and not just with the S1, they will remember the first Pentax they had that was cool when they were younger, and when they wanted a more upscale model, there is the K-5II or K-3 or the K-FF that will be around some day. Pentax will now have the hook and bring this young group and remember when they have a smile of their first really cool and different camera.

To me, I would not get an S1 but my kid will, and in my mind I smile because a lot of kids will get it, and that means more K-mount lenses which will mean more third party lenses from Tam or Sig because the market share will increase, and hopefully we will see a price decrease since a 2000 production run of lenses will be more expensive to produce than a 10,000 run which means we will see cheaper costs. Sometimes I shake my head and don't understand why so many people don't get it. Pentax Is doing a great job and they are catering to a new generation and we will all benefit from it.

Just my opinion, as always.
11-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I love my Pentax colours. I bought a stormtrooper K-x because it looked 'different', and I purchased my K-30 in a glossy red. It sparks conversations with people I never would have spoken to otherwise and I never feel intimidating while doing street photography. I've seriously considered picking up a K-3 and seeing if dcshooter will colourise it for me. My bodies are easy to tell apart, sure, but in the end I just really like the colours.
11-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing that I have notices is Pentax/Ricoh has a huge attention to camera shape, cosmetic and colour. In other word they seem to believe, this is a selling point. They produce almost same camera in different colours, shape, LED,... Just look at K-01, I don't think any other camera brand do the same thing.

What I want to highlight in this thread, and I hope one of Pentax product team people read this, is:

PLEASE STOP. IT DOESN'T SELL

Why someone pick a funky weird camera just to take more professional photos when they can stick to their mobile phones

To me (and correct me if I'm wrong) people who buy a serious camera, prefer a serious camera look and feel. something like Fujifilm X-T1

People like to show off when holding a serious camera. This is the psychology behind it. A funky colour doesn't give the same pride to the owner.
The only people who might buy a pinky camera with green LEDs might be teenage girls and I doubt if they do

Anyway, I just regret Ricoh is throwing away their R&D money paying designers who have no idea about photography.

I wish they stop doing this. To me Pentax has always been a professional brand, and I feel like they are ruining it
It may not interest you or me, but apparently the Japan market likes strange, colourful cameras. My daughter went on a school trip to Japan. She showed me some photos of these Hello Kitty stores. Now, you would think such a design fad only attracts teenagers. No. Whole families including grandma who's 80 in the shade is dressed up Hello Kitty. A baby pink Pentax may be considered bland in that market!
11-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #27

Original Poster
Obviously having more options (colour) is better. It just appears to me that Pentax product line has more focus on body shape, colour, design rather than real technical features. I would never argue the concept behind K-S1 if it had features like Polaroid iM1836 Android smart camera but to me they could have added the same features to K-500 (we can skip the led lights) instead of introducing a new product line.

Last edited by Samwise.Gamgee; 11-03-2014 at 03:31 AM.
11-03-2014, 02:13 AM   #28
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
P.S. - starve this thread.
...fat chance with the November giveaway going on...

However, one of the people mentioned the Sigma DP2 Quattro... It would be interesting to know (even though I believe it's not possible as such figures are not disclosed) which sold more units between the Sigma and the K-01...
11-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #29

I have a red Kx. I didn't buy a Kx because I could get it in red. I decided on the Kx and when I found I could get colors I figured why not! My camera is different than anyone else's. There was a time when cars only came in black too. I'm not a pro, but I have never cared what other people thought either. If so, I wouldn't buy a Pentax, I'd get a Canon or Nikon because that is what is "acceptable".
I don't think color costs them much, so why do you care? Buy a black camera if that's what you want. Let me have the choice of a red one
11-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Samwise, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'll offer you mine:

What is currently considered 'professional' in a camera's appearance is a matter of popular convention. You see black as
'professional' because that's what is currently in vogue. There's nothing inherent to the color black that makes it professional. It
wasn't all that long ago that professional cameras were silver/chrome. And tomorrow they may be all white when some 'professional'
decides it's the right choice for their needs.

As for the K-01, I'd rather Pentax pay a designer than an Andre Agassi. I'll take forward design over celebrity hype any day.
Eh, actually, though, chrome cameras were never the 'professional' choice: back when chrome finish involved like.... chromium and such, it was the more *durable* one for consumer cameras that might stay in the family for decades and people'd want them to basically stay looking pristine forever. Black's usually been the professional choice just cause it's less conspicuous, formerly was a bit lighter, and most of all, doesn't show up as conspicuously in *reflections* and the like. The 'pro' image came later, and frankly, if you were a gal shooting in the trades in the 80's, there was enough gearsnobbery on top of sexism if you weren't shooting Nikon, never mind chrome Canons: I still find it doesn't hurt if your gear looks like it's been around the block a couple times, but that 'Black's what the pros use' originally came from practicality. (Pentax was often the oddball in making silver cameras even when they were made of plastic in more recent decades, actually.) Usually when I'm doing people photography, I don't want the camera to be drawing my subjects' eyes and attention. That's what shiny things and bright colours do, It's that simple.

That said, no, Pentax R&D isn't suffering just cause they make a whole bunch of colors: buy what you like, really: the Japanese domestic market is where that's really a big thing and sales are what fund the research and all the stuff we like. Me, I'll stick with basic black, given the choice, maybe a dark grey or brown or olive, ...if it comes around they've got the model I want in black with brown leatherette I might go for that, (They did a K10D like that...) if I end up with something in some odd color used, I'll probably paint it.

Similar with the shape of the cases and stuff, as long as they preserve that Pentax ergonomics. I mean, they made that oddball looking K-30 and then put the same stuff in the more conventional K-50: I'm sure that didn't cause any breaking of sweats and in this case I might prefer the oddball one if it came to a choice between. I'd rather they changed up the styling than do like other companies do and just start stripping off features they don't have to.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-04-2014 at 08:45 PM.