Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Camera shape and cosmetic

One thing that I have notices is Pentax/Ricoh has a huge attention to camera shape, cosmetic and colour. In other word they seem to believe, this is a selling point. They produce almost same camera in different colours, shape, LED,... Just look at K-01, I don't think any other camera brand do the same thing.

What I want to highlight in this thread, and I hope one of Pentax product team people read this, is:

PLEASE STOP. IT DOESN'T SELL

Why someone pick a funky weird camera just to take more professional photos when they can stick to their mobile phones

To me (and correct me if I'm wrong) people who buy a serious camera, prefer a serious camera look and feel. something like Fujifilm X-T1

People like to show off when holding a serious camera. This is the psychology behind it. A funky colour doesn't give the same pride to the owner.
The only people who might buy a pinky camera with green LEDs might be teenage girls and I doubt if they do

Anyway, I just regret Ricoh is throwing away their R&D money paying designers who have no idea about photography.

I wish they stop doing this. To me Pentax has always been a professional brand, and I feel like they are ruining it

11-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be honest if they sold the K3 in orange or blue for the same price I would probably buy it just to be different. I do not really care about what others think. It the color means paying more it is a different story. I guess if you are a professional photographer (not my case) it is a different story too.

I bet that there are people that agree with you and people who disagree

PS - I am not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this thread
11-02-2014, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing for sure - Ricoh/Pentax has a much better idea of what sells and how many sell than casual posters to camera forums.
11-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think its time for the OP to hop into his Ford Galaxie and drive off into the sunset...

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 07:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
One thing that I have notices is Pentax/Ricoh has a huge attention to camera shape, cosmetic and colour. In other word they seem to believe, this is a selling point. They produce almost same camera in different colours, shape, LED,... Just look at K-01, I don't think any other camera brand do the same thing.

What I want to highlight in this thread, and I hope one of Pentax product team people read this, is:

Why someone pick a funky weird camera just to take more professional photos when they can stick to their mobile phones

To me (and correct me if I'm wrong) people who buy a serious camera, prefer a serious camera look and feel. something like Fujifilm X-T1

People like to show off when holding a serious camera. This is the psychology behind it. A funky colour doesn't give the same pride to the owner.
The only people who might buy a pinky camera with green LEDs might be teenage girls and I doubt if they do

Anyway, I just regret Ricoh is throwing away their R&D money paying designers who have no idea about photography.

I wish they stop doing this. To me Pentax has always been a professional brand, and I feel like they are ruining it
They paid ONE designer for ONE significantly offbeat camera (K-01). There is not an established pattern of this, so "throwing away their R&D money paying designers who have no idea about photography" is patently false.

The K-S1 is fairly normal, just slightly quirky.

Perhaps you "like to show off when holding a serious camera", but I don't. My pride is in my abilities, not my gear.

Having different colors costs very little in R&D, so that's not a problem, either.

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-02-2014 at 05:45 PM.
11-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Where is the OP posting from? Pyongyang?
The idea that choice is inefficient was disproved by 20th Century history.
11-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
With all due respect, I think I have a point here
11-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
Banned

Waste of R&D money?? Have you seen the Sigma dp2 Quattro? Quite odd looking, yet it seems it can turn out some very good photos! I think most people that buy "serious cameras" are more concerned with what they do, than how they look.
The KS1 (the model with the LED's) was designed to lure a younger crowd into the Pentax brand, and has pretty impressive internals to boot. Wouldn't call that a waste of R&D money.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

11-02-2014, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Samwise, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'll offer you mine:

What is currently considered 'professional' in a camera's appearance is a matter of popular convention. You see black as
'professional' because that's what is currently in vogue. There's nothing inherent to the color black that makes it professional. It
wasn't all that long ago that professional cameras were silver/chrome. And tomorrow they may be all white when some 'professional'
decides it's the right choice for their needs.

As for the K-01, I'd rather Pentax pay a designer than an Andre Agassi. I'll take forward design over celebrity hype any day.
11-02-2014, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Isn't the K-3 only available in Black, Silver and Gunmetal? Three very conservative colours and pretty normal for a pro camera. Same story for the K-5ii, K-5 and K-7.

Now, the mid range is another story. Kr, K-30/K-50 and now the K-S1 are a bit more... "fashionable". But each new generation had decent improvements, on par with the rest of the industry. Maybe except the K-S1 and Q-S1 but they are from a "new" line.

I also don't think that there is any major cost in R&D to make a camera available in different colours... The K-01 is pretty much a K5 with no mirror and a trendy design (at the time).

And it's not like they release the K-XX and then release a K-XY six months later but available in different colours and calling it a new camera. And it's not like you cannot get a camera in black.

Options do sell, colours also sell. My ex-GF bought herself a pink K-50 to replace her T4i. Why? because it's pink... Granted she's not a pro but she does know what she is doing and how to operate a camera. Now she owns a Pentax after owning several Canons. She did not sacrifice IQ, she did not over pay, she wanted a pink camera.

I have yet to meet someone who did not by a Pentax because it is available in a gazillion colours...
11-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Waste of R&D money?? Have you seen the Sigma dp2 Quattro? Quite odd looking, yet it seems it can turn out some very good photos! I think most people that buy "serious cameras" are more concerned with what they do, than how they look.
The KS1 (the model with the LED's) was designed to lure a younger crowd into the Pentax brand. Wouldn't call that a waste of R&D money.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
One of my questions actually was around KS1

What market gap, Ricoh is filling in with introducing KS1? I know they've said they want to catch smart phone shooters who might get into more serious photography but check with people around you (younger, older) is KS1 really their next choice? Younger crows doesn't always go with colourful and funky choices.

Why not adding same features to k-500? more products make it just harder for them to sustain the quality and support level.

At least this is what Fuji film doing successfully
11-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

How do you know? Are you a marketing genius? I think in your opinion anyone wearing a 5DMKII or D800 is a pro... as it is only available in black.
11-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With all due respect, I think I have a point here
The shape of most Pentax cameras has all to do with ergonomics, and they are excellent. It's interesting that you choose Fuji to compare, who are all about retro looks over ergonomics, even though they are nice cameras.
11-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Isn't the K-3 only available in Black, Silver and Gunmetal? Three very conservative colours and pretty normal for a pro camera. Same story for the K-5ii, K-5 and K-7.

Now, the mid range is another story. Kr, K-30/K-50 and now the K-S1 are a bit more... "fashionable". But each new generation had decent improvements, on par with the rest of the industry. Maybe except the K-S1 and Q-S1 but they are from a "new" line.

I also don't think that there is any major cost in R&D to make a camera available in different colours... The K-01 is pretty much a K5 with no mirror and a trendy design (at the time).

And it's not like they release the K-XX and then release a K-XY six months later but available in different colours and calling it a new camera. And it's not like you cannot get a camera in black.

Options do sell, colours also sell. My ex-GF bought herself a pink K-50 to replace her T4i. Why? because it's pink... Granted she's not a pro but she does know what she is doing and how to operate a camera. Now she owns a Pentax after owning several Canons. She did not sacrifice IQ, she did not over pay, she wanted a pink camera.

I have yet to meet someone who did not by a Pentax because it is available in a gazillion colours...
Can I ask your honest opinion, as a Pentax owner wouldn't you be more impressed to see your current body released with more features. You'd feel more confident if Pentax had released K-3 or K-500 with a wife feature or tilted screen rather than seeing a new line of product

and believe me, Market feels the same
11-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
They paid ONE designer for ONE significantly offbeat camera (K-01).
They paid the Tokyo office of a a global design company that's headquartered in Washington state to do the K-S1 design.

But - who says a camera has to be black? Every camera I have is black (even the film cameras) but no one else in my entire extended family has a black camera, and for the most part they're much more accomplished photographers than I am.
11-02-2014, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

P.S. - starve this thread.