Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #31

During naturally lit group photos, I think it's a good idea to take a burst of shots each time so that you hopefully will have a one clean shot with everyone's eyes open. If not, you'll at least have enough shots to cut/paste someone's eyes into another frame.

Open shade areas are your friend.. although it's not the most exciting lighting situation, for group photos it's nice to have everyone evenly lit without any hot spots or shadowy areas. You mentioned that time is a factor.. you don't want to be messing around with external lighting and reflectors and whatnot so the safest, quickest lighting scenario imho is open shade.

If there are going to be different group combinations, ask your dad to prepare a list beforehand so you or him (probably would be better if it's him as he knows the employees) can wrangle the different combos together. Once they're gathered, you can fine tune their placement within the group.

If they're smaller groupings and will be standing side by side, make sure that they're perfectly lined up. People have a tendency to form a U shape when they line up for photos. Once they're in a straight line, you won't have to worry about your DOF so much because everyone should be within the plane of focus. I also think it's nice to use a longer focal length to get the telephoto compression look for these smaller group shots.

11-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
There has certainty been a lot of great information/advice here! I hope you decide to post your favorite shots and some thinking that went into them!
11-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagabond79 Quote
I have also read through this thread with great enjoyment. Group photography is something I am inexperienced with but curious to learn more about.

I think it would be great if you could post a few of the photos once you are done (with your comments on the situation, lighting, etc.) so we can learn from your experience.

Cheers!
I will try to do that, vagabond. Glad you have enjoyed the thread.

My Dad isn't the most patient person and I don't think he wants this to take very much time out of his workers' day. LOL So, I'm preparing for having to rush a bit. Probably this will be an experience you guys can learn not to replicate!!
11-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I will try to do that, vagabond. Glad you have enjoyed the thread.

My Dad isn't the most patient person and I don't think he wants this to take very much time out of his workers' day. LOL So, I'm preparing for having to rush a bit. Probably this will be an experience you guys can learn not to replicate!!
Just browsed your flickr page -- beautiful images! I have a feeling you will do fine with your group shot task.

11-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much, that's very kind of you! You have some beautiful shots on your page, including some lovely macros!
11-11-2014, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, as I suspected, this was hectic and rushed. What my Dad really wanted was a quick snapshot and anyone could've done that for him. I managed to talk him into two different locations, but that was all the time he wanted to take.

So, as I said, this will actually be about things you should NOT do when taking a group photo...

1. Don't let them rush you!! Ask the person making the request if you will be given time to properly set up and also to check the photos before everyone is sent away.

2. Lighting is important. Duh! Yes, there are shadows and there really wasn't much I could do about that under the circumstances. I elected to have them stand at an angle to the sun in hopes they wouldn't have to squint as much. It really didn't make that much difference and now I wish I'd just had the sun at my back to get rid of the shadows. Oh well. I wish it had been an overcast day. The only other option would've been to find a shady spot somewhere. In fact, that probably would've been the best option.

3. Do not leave and do not let the group disperse until you have thoroughly checked to see if everyone is looking at the camera in the photos. I thought I had checked, but as you can see, one guy in the sign photo is looking in the complete other direction. *facepalm* I am not good enough at Photoshop to take his head from another shot, so we are stuck with it.

4. Do NOT let the group bully you. Be assertive. Tell people where to stand, tell them to take their sunglasses and hats off! Don't be shy, like I was!

I could go on making excuses, but the fact is I feel embarrassed about these and really didn't want to post them. Please don't feel your advice fell on deaf ears. I think I was overwhelmed by the group dynamic a bit. Knowing the need for them to get back to work quickly, I wasn't assertive as I should've been about taking my time, posing them properly, etc. I did stop and get some guys who were "hiding" to come out front, but they could've been arranged much better than they were.

What went right? Ummmm.... Well, I do think getting up high on a ladder worked well.

So, there you have it. A learning experience for sure. I do not know if this is really my type of photography. I'd much rather be shooting my cats than people!! Thanks again to everyone for all the advice you gave me. I hope this thread will help others not to repeat my mistakes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
11-11-2014, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
OK, as I suspected, this was hectic and rushed. What my Dad really wanted was a quick snapshot and anyone could've done that for him. I managed to talk him into two different locations, but that was all the time he wanted to take.

So, there you have it. A learning experience for sure. I do not know if this is really my type of photography. I'd much rather be shooting my cats than people!! Thanks again to everyone for all the advice you gave me. I hope this thread will help others not to repeat my mistakes.
Good job. Looks like you did the best you could.

I really like the setting for each picture. The lumber and then the sign with beautiful rolling hills in the background.

That sun looks pretty bright. I think someone suggested using open shade but I'm not sure how available it was at your location.

I'm curious to see what some of the other posters with more experience have to say.

Thank you for sharing!

11-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
second pic looks really good
11-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both.
11-19-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You were rushed, but both pics still have the necessary narrative content, so you did better than what the client probably thought he wanted. Shooting somewhat down on them was a good decision in both shots. Number 2 is the company Christmas card, no doubt.
11-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Marktax. Appreciate the feedback!
11-19-2014, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #42

I think both pictures turned out well! Sometimes it just seems like the more you know, the more you fret but in the end it's all good!
11-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Kevin.
11-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you did a great job. And photographing cats is great training for photographing groups (there's a reason the phrase "like herding cats" exists and it's relevant for group photography).

On your point 3, one thing I learned from my first large group photo shoot (where I was the assistant) is that it's useful to have an assistant - he or she doesn't have to be a photographer, just someone who's not going to be in the photo. That person stands with you and focuses on scanning the group and checking to make sure all faces are forward and visible. A second set of eyes really comes in handy.

I'm not sure how much post-processing you've done on the images you shared but I'm wondering if you can work on the faces a bit in LR to tone down strong sunlight on some parts of their faces and open up the shadows on other parts.
11-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
frogoutofwater,

Thanks for the feedback. You are right - an assistant would've been great, but unfortunately, I didn't have anyone to come with me and everyone there was in the photo. Definitely something to keep in mind for the future!

Thanks for the tips on the faces. I've already turned the photos over to them, I'll see if I can make any more improvements. I did try to tone things down already. It was really bright out. I purposely scheduled this for early in the morning, but the sun was so bright.