Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
HIPA: Hamdan International Photography Award "Life In Colour"

Dear All

I just saw the winners of the "Complementary Colors" Photo Contest and the other day read a notification from HIPA (Hamdan International Photography Award) and realized that their theme for this year is "Life In Colour", somehow a coincident.

I am sure that some of you has already known this but I just want to share this to the rest of my fellow Pentaxians re: HIPA which is one of the biggest photography competitions worldwide. HIPA is based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. This is a yearly competition and open to all individuals over 18 years of age and anyone interested may register at Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award (please read the rules and FAQs). Registration is free and submission of entries is through their website. You may be required to submit a proper identification (passport, national ID, etc.) though may be a setback for many people due to privacy concerns and confidentiality.

I am not so sure if any winners previously have used a Pentax camera and am interested and excited to know if any of us (Pentaxians) will be finalists for this year. This is a very stiff competition as everyone is competing against tens of thousands photo enthusiasts. Last year grand prize winner was from China.

The above may not be new and apologies for that.

Cheers and good luck!

[Not really sure if I am allowed to advertise here but yeah I tried ]

11-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am wondering whether they actually invoke the terms listed in the rules under 'Intellectual property rights', point 3. I planned to submit a portray I took of an old man in rural Ghana several years ago. I have no idea who he was and there is no way I could get a signed model release from him. He might be dead for all I know.

Do they really insist on this? Aren't many pictures published in major media like the New York Times or NatGeo published without model releases because it's just pretty much impossible to get a model release from a Syrian rebel you just happened to capture or a South African child?
11-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi FantasticMrFox, I believe you can make a case on the model release form based on your submission but feel that they could not bend their own rules. Since deadline is still approx. 50 days away I guess you still have time to contact them at info@hipa.ae.
11-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be careful if you or anyone else decides to join into this contest. In the FAQs it states HIPA will retain all rights to your photo to be used in their advertising. This is why I do not join contests.

QuoteQuote:
Can I sell my winning photo(s)?

Yes you can, but HIPA still hold the right to use it as per the undertaking letter.
I found more in their rules:
QuoteQuote:
Upon making Your Submission, You grant HIPA, a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty free, sub-licensable right and license to use, publish, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works, distribute, have distributed, print, promote Your submitted Photo(s), in whole or in part, in any form, in all media forms now or hereafter known, anywhere in the world for any purpose, related to the Competition, the publication in HIPA promotional digital and/or printed materials and formats broadcast such as on HIPA magazines, printed leaflet and brochures, HIPA website and/or through other public online feeds, promoting subsequent competitions and/or the work of HIPA generally.

Last edited by photolady95; 11-09-2014 at 10:44 PM.
11-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, photolady95 for the added notes. Agreed, people who wish to join should be careful and understand fully the rules and FAQs.
01-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Is there anyone else who has participated and received an e-mail today?

I just received an e-mail that only my picture from the 'Life in Colour' category has made it to the second judgement stage. However, according to their FAQ during the first stage only basic adherence to the rules is checked to determine whether the pictures satisfy the basic requirements ('check their compatibility with our rules and regulations'), and I cannot for goodness' sake figure out what was wrong about my three other pictures. They were large enough, quality seemed fine, they are all mine and they certainly didn't go against any of the UAE's values (or general ethical values).

Did anyone else experience the same?