Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Do the little shops in Italy and other parts of Europe that you are familiar with, carry Pentax DSLRs ?
I can talk for sure about 4-5 italian cities, little and big, and the answer is yes. Pentax, Sony, Panasonic...

11-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd buy a Hasselblad V-series kit in as close to mint as I could get it and just shoot film. Any digital I'd just use my iPhone. Probably get a really top-notch scanner.
11-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade to K3 and buy just the limited prime lenses I need. No more zooms!
11-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

It is interesting how almost all of us are happy with Pentax but would change something in the gear...

11-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, I would go with Pentax again. I love my setup. I would maybe end up with different bodies and lenses tho...
11-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I second guess everything... there's nothing I want that changing systems would fix. At least not that I could afford.
11-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #37

With same money, I'll go with Pentax but if I had more definitely switch to Fujifilm

11-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #38
Pentaxian

When I went digital, Pentax gave you the best bang for the buck with the K10D. I think that's still true today, especially with the big discounts on the K5ll and lls. Nobody else gives you a weather sealed and well built camera for the price. My cameras take a beating and they hold up to it. Yes, Pentax glass prices have risen but they are still very good compared to the others. If you use flash a lot, you have a valid beef and looking at Nikon might be forgiven.
11-13-2014, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Thief #1 (to Thief #2): What the hell are these? Pentax? Do we have a market for these stuff? They don't even have a Digital FF, and sure they can't shoot a decent video. We can't sell these things within 100 square miles of radius, as it will be easy to trace. There are only a few of these things out here. Hey, these SDM lenses don't work! And what are these? Screw drives???

This reminds me of a funny heist a couple of years ago here in the Philippines at one of these posh malls. A group of thieves broke in, tried to steal a few Rolex from the display, failed because they could not break the glass, and ended up with Omegas! But that's not it, right beside the Rolex store was Patek's. And to top it off there's a JLC and a Vacheron showroom across!
11-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Sure, I would go with Pentax again. I love my setup. I would maybe end up with different bodies and lenses tho...
Of course, but that is exactly the point. I bet no one can truly say that he/she is perfectly happy with every single piece of Pentax hardware in his possession right now. I'm sure ther is at least one ot two lenses or accessories that we regret purchasing and if we could, go back in time and undo the purchase in favor of "the one that got away".

That's the whole point of this exercise: Loyalty! I still use my *istD which at its time, was among the best if its class but now, obviously obsolete. If it gets stolen and I have the cash, that doesn't mean I will scout the world looking for a used one in good shape.

Right now, I have a dozen lenses in my arsenal, but there are four of them that haven't seen the sunlight in many years (since going full digital). SMC-A 15/3.5, FA 20/2.8, FA* 24/2 and FA 17-28. All four expensive glass when purchased new, but if I have the chance to get what I payed for them, of course my choice for replacements would probably be the DA 10-17, DA 15, and maybe tha DA 20-40 (I have the 12-24 that if "gone" it will sure be replaced for a similar one)
11-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I love Pentax, and i would probably get some Sigma Art line glass..... mmmm if i had to change i will be tempted to do it to Nikon and especially for something like the D750 ( i will probably have to put some more cash but.. its ok). The only thing that i like better about Nikon is the fact that at some point Nikon users can switch to FF bodys, and thats something that we dont have YET.. so, besides that, i will stick with Pentax.
11-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #42
Pentaxian

once pentax, always pentax. id get the k-3 this time, and the 18-135 as a kit lens(again!).but this time id make a wiser choice with the other lenses.id probably stick to ltds
11-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #43

I would definitely stick with Pentax - I love the ergonomics and the build quality. I would consider upgrading from the K-30 to the K-3 though.
11-17-2014, 04:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Think about this:

Let's say one day you wake up and find out all your photo gear (Pentax) is gone. The burglars got in and took it. But you had insurance and you recover a good amount of cash (same as if gear was new!).

What would you do with that cash?

1.- Try to replace all your stolen gear with similar models of Pentax stuff
2.- Get all new Pentax stuff even if you do not replace all your gear.
3.- Forget about Pentax and look to other brands to build up a new gear set.
4.- Forget about photography and start a new hobby.
5.- What else?

For me, I would go back to Pentax and replace (try to) all my glass arsenal with similar focal lengths of new DA and DA* glass
That's difficult. I would get a K-5 II/IIs, because IMHO that is the best camera Pentax ever made, and one of the best cameras period. The problem is if it will stay that way. Will Pentax ever make a better camera (for me)? Their boneheadedness leads me to seriously doubt it. All I want is a sign that better things are to come, that they were misguided in the past 2-3 years and will change that. No sign whatsoever though, and some point I will have to upgrade. Will Pentax still make cameras? Will they be appealing to me?

So... why not switch? I think I would get a Samsung NX1, if it even comes close to expectations and I can live with the EVF. Sadly not with that 16-50 2-2.8, because it is too expensive. But a more common kit lens, a fast prime and maybe a telezoom that isn't too big. That should cover most of my needs, and I can shop around for some old Canon primes (that won't fit on modern Canon bodies).
11-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Think about this:

Let's say one day you wake up and find out all your photo gear (Pentax) is gone. The burglars got in and took it. But you had insurance and you recover a good amount of cash (same as if gear was new!).

What would you do with that cash?

1.- Try to replace all your stolen gear with similar models of Pentax stuff
2.- Get all new Pentax stuff even if you do not replace all your gear.
3.- Forget about Pentax and look to other brands to build up a new gear set.
4.- Forget about photography and start a new hobby.
5.- What else?

For me, I would go back to Pentax and replace (try to) all my glass arsenal with similar focal lengths of new DA and DA* glass
I would forget about Pentax. A few reasons why I'm still sticking: It's the best APS-C DSLR system; changing is far from necessary. The large amount of gear that I have, the hassle it takes to sell everything and the abysmal resale value at which it then would have to be sold.

If only burglars would take my Pentax gear. I'd be then investing in some really nice glass for my A7r. Or maybe replace it with A7s.