Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you do it again?

Think about this:

Let's say one day you wake up and find out all your photo gear (Pentax) is gone. The burglars got in and took it. But you had insurance and you recover a good amount of cash (same as if gear was new!).

What would you do with that cash?

1.- Try to replace all your stolen gear with similar models of Pentax stuff
2.- Get all new Pentax stuff even if you do not replace all your gear.
3.- Forget about Pentax and look to other brands to build up a new gear set.
4.- Forget about photography and start a new hobby.
5.- What else?

For me, I would go back to Pentax and replace (try to) all my glass arsenal with similar focal lengths of new DA and DA* glass

11-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Perfect opportunity to upgrade from the K5 => K3
11-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd switch systems.....to the 645z
11-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Think about this:

Let's say one day you wake up and find out all your photo gear (Pentax) is gone. The burglars got in and took it. But you had insurance and you recover a good amount of cash (same as if gear was new!).

What would you do with that cash?

2.- Get all new Pentax stuff even if you do not replace all your gear.
3.- Forget about Pentax and look to other brands to build up a new gear set.
4.- Forget about photography and start a new hobby.
5.- What else?

For me, I would go back to Pentax and replace (try to) all my glass arsenal with similar focal lengths of new DA and DA* glass
I would have a hard time replacing it and likely would not replace it all in terms of the MF lenses and that. Timing and luck that was very much the key to my getting my MF stuff when I did at a price I could afford. I probably could not repeat that trick now. Old lenses have gone up too much, are being collected too much now for me to be able to go there, at least to the same extent. But I absolutely would replace my K-30's and my E-P3's and their key AF lenses. I'd have to quickly in the case of the K-30's. My living depends upon it.

But I would eventually replace the Oly's too and I would also likely try to get at least a couple of M42 and K lenses back plus at least one body for each. I would end up getting at least one SPII and a KX. I would probably get them in black because my black SPII and my black KX's are my favorite old cameras. Those are my main film cameras and while I shoot digital mostly I still use the SPII's and KX's I have and truly love them. In the end I would not have near as much, but I would get some of it back, yes. I would still go and grab new Pentax/Olympus gear, absolutely. I don't second guess myself much in regards to that. I know what I like, shrug.

11-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Huy
Forum Member

Bought a used DA* 16-50 f 2.8 for $350. Nothing can replace it. The only good thing about it is you can "sell" your kit lenses for a full price.
11-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Much as I love my Pentax gear, I would consider doing a combination of 2 and 3 - replace/upgrade certain Pentax items but also look at other brands.

I'm not very technologically inclined and as a photography student, I've found it difficult to learn how to use certain functions well - especially flash. I know the responsibility lies with me to learn, but I do find it's harder when my instructors don't know my gear (especially flash). I've also heard from others that Nikon's flash system is better.

There also are some gaps in the Pentax lens line-up and I wonder whether there might be some better options (or better-priced options) in the Nikon mount.

And I'm worried about the current trend regarding customer service for repairs.

So, I would think about continuing to use Pentax for some purposes - especially a lot of the outdoor and travel photography I'd do. I'd either replace my K-3 or pick up the K-5IIs as a bargain, and get the WR 18-135, 55-300 zoom and 50mm 1.8 lenses.

But I'd look into getting a Nikon, flash, and a lens set-up that would be good for portrait work.

I'm not saying that I'd definitely jump ship (or jump halfway out of the ship), but that I'd reconsider my brand loyalty and do some intense research and experimenting first.
11-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Inactive Account

i wonder why they had taken the k5 and not the d800 in the next bag

11-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #8

I wouldnt. granted, im pretty much completely out of pentax now except for a 50mm F1.4 M i use -- but i never liked the way the K5 or K3 felt in my hand. I much prefer the K10d. At this point im happily shooting fuji. I am keeping an eye on pentax to see if they ever make a nice mirrorless. I really enjoyed my K01.
11-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My kit is mainly FF legacy glass from both Sigma and Pentax so it would be rather difficult to replace.
With that said, if I received full market value, I probably couldn't recoup enough to switch to Nikon, which is why I'm a Pentax shooter in the first place.
I get about 90% of the Canikon performance for about 50% of the price.

If I got full replacement AND about 5k in inheritance at the same time, I be very tempted to switch to a Nikon D810 and accumulate the same Sigma lenses that seem to be much more readily available for that system. Although I might pick up a 24-105 and 120-300 f2.8 that is so badly missing from the Pentax lineup.

For what it's worth, I'd really miss this forum.
11-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Given the state of digital photography market, I'd sit on that cash waiting for a bargain. If the trend of 20% contraction continues, there will be a lot of gear chasing too few dollars.
11-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If this hypothetical thing happened right now, I would almost certainly go out and buy a Nikon D750, a good nikon flash and the three or four lenses that I need.

Full disclosure, I'm cranky since my K5iis barfed at 30K shutter clicks and is currently lost in repair limbo.
11-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'd get mostly the same stuff, I love my kit as it is. I might upgrade the 18-55 to something nicer but apart from that I'd keep everything.

And I wouldn't leave Pentax, no way. It's the system best suited to my needs.
11-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Perfect opportunity to upgrade from the K5 => K3
Perfect to upgrade from k50 to k5IIs
11-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm pretty happy with Pentax so far. I think I'd stay with them and maybe change out some of my current lenses I don't use much for some others I'd rather have. I think for APS-C Pentax really does provide the best bang for buck, plus the size of the gear is attractive to me and my small hands.

I wouldn't mind trying Nikon out, so maybe I'd take the opportunity to try out some Nikon equipment before doing the replacement, just in the name of due diligence.
11-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Let's say one day you wake up and find out all your photo gear (Pentax) is gone. The burglars got in and took it.
Burglar A to burglar B, "We are going to need a bigger truck!"

Steve