Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 02:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Difficult to say without knowing his photographic preferences. A quality set of grad ND filters would be nice if he'd be into landscape photography, a book is always nice ...

I'd suggest either:

a) Adobe Lightroom 5 - we all know what a difference good post-processing makes

b) SMC-A 50 f/1.7 - to get him hooked on quality primes

c) A good book that goes beyond the basics like Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye. It's easy nowadays to just learn all the basics via articles and free video tutorials online, they are pretty much ubiquitous. Something that makes you think about your photography and teaches advanced subjects like composition or 'seeing' the light would be much more valuable, I think.

11-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One of those boutique leather straps with embossing etc. It's a totally superfluous luxury item so perhaps wait until he has everything.

Regards,
--Anders.
11-17-2014, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #18

I for one was happy about every gift related to photography I got, but it made me stick with low quality gear longer than I felt comfortable with, since I didn't want to offend the donor.

So, if you spend 100 bucks, spend it on something that's worth the money.

As you already bought a tripod, I hope it's not a very cheap one. The cheap ones tend to be either overly bulky or unstable.
The only "cheap" tripod that I can recommend is the Velbon Ultra MAX-i M. If it's one of those things for 40 bucks, don't be offended if he swaps it for a more sturdy one on a year or so.

Other things coming to mind:

Do you know what kind of things he likes to shoot?

If he enjoys landscape:
* Remote! (this *really* made a difference for me)
* Polarizer (choose correct diameter for his lens!), this depends on how experienced your brother is, beginners probably don't have much use for it
* I know beginners enjoy HDR very much, so a book on HDR photography or a HDR software would be cool
* Beginner's filter kit (Cokin should do, again, mind the lens diameter)

Sports/wildlife:
* Camera strap (maybe a sniper strap would be good)

All around:
* Good quality cleaning kit (Zeiss et al)
* Beanbag
* Camera bag (make sure it has a sling for the tripod and that the tripod fits)

In case he got a K-3 (which would be overkill), you could think about a Pentax Flucard (make sure it's the original Pentax one labelled O-FC1)
11-17-2014, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since tripod is already covered, I'd go for a wireless remote (a couple cheapies from ebay for him and throw in a few for yourself while you're at it) and bag that's a little bigger than all the stuff you're planning to get him.

One of the small camera shops near me lets you buy a pre-paid card good for 200 4x6 prints (at a discounted price). Good to encourage printing from the start.

A few nice frames of a decent size could give a goal for him to fill with something worthy of hanging on the wall..

11-17-2014, 09:29 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am also a fan of Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure. I found it very helpful when I was first starting out.

However, I'm an even bigger fan of an in-person workshop or course when someone is just learning how to use a DSLR (I'm not sure that's the case with your brother but it sounds like it might be). If so, have a look around to see if your local camera store, college or other group offers a hands-on class to teach someone how to use the manual settings on a camera. Remember Forever is an Australian company that offers a 3-hour workshop called "Love Your Camera" that is a good start. We gave my sister--in-law a certificate for an introductory workshop at her local camera store in Toronto last year.

If an in-person course isn't practical, another possiblity is this DVD or online course offered by the Great Courses company. I haven't tried it but it gets mostly good reviews and is quite comprehensive.
Fundamentals of Photography

Another Aussie option for your brother would be a Crumpler camera bag and/or strap. I really like my padded Crumpler Industry Disgrace camera strap and Mr frogoutofwater likes his Medium Haven (a padded bag for your camera that you can put into another bag like a backpack). Crumpler also sells regular camera bags.
11-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod, spare batteries, and extra memory cards - get them while they are on deals.
11-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #22

Original Poster
I don't recall what tripod we bought, but I do remember that it was more than $100.

I'll definately check with my sister-in-law to find out what camera/lens she bought.

I know he likes motor sports, he attends a few V8 supercar races every year, so I'm guessing he'd be keen on photographing the cars.

I plan on keeping my eye on the sales as they come up in the lead up to the Black Friday weekend. Hopefully I can get some things on my own wish list too.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm loving reading them

11-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good sling strap, I'll second (or third or fourth) that suggestion. Comfortable and secure is what you need. I like the type with sliding hardware so you don't rotate the whole strap. And I prefer a tripod lug attachment, it keeps the lens facing down, so snow or whatever doesn't fall on the lens.

$100 isn't a lot, but it's enough for some sensible, useful, generous gifts to help the hobby.

Bags are a pretty personal choice, I think I'd leave that to him.
11-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
A good sling strap, I'll second (or third or fourth) that suggestion. Comfortable and secure is what you need. I like the type with sliding hardware so you don't rotate the whole strap. And I prefer a tripod lug attachment, it keeps the lens facing down, so snow or whatever doesn't fall on the lens.

$100 isn't a lot, but it's enough for some sensible, useful, generous gifts to help the hobby.

Bags are a pretty personal choice, I think I'd leave that to him.
It did occur to me that the bag choice might be better left to my brother.
Sling strap recommendations?
11-18-2014, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
I am agree, it is something too much personal, I wouldn't like it as a gift...
I think that it is better to go with basic things, as cleaning kits, software or even a second hand good lens.
11-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I also agree on the bag. Lowepro has some excellent bags around that price.
11-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
Sling strap recommendations?
I like the looks and function of the Joby Pro. Note how the camera slides along the strap, instead of the strap sliding along your body.
JOBY Pro Sling Strap for Professional DSLRs

I have a Lens Loop strap, but I got into the Kickstarter. The only drawback is the seatbelt fabric is a bit sharp along the edge, but it's nice and wide and has no connection points which might break. I like how the Joby can be quickly re-sized though, that's pretty nice.
11-18-2014, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Speaking of books, the best books I have ever read are "The Photographer's eye" about composition, which can benefit just anyone, and "Sketching light" which is all about flash photography, which might not be for everyone.
11-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the mid-to-lower end of the price scale - Lastolite - type reflector or diffuser, Gary Fong Puffer, Joby Gorillapod, Joby wrist strap
11-18-2014, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I think a grab bag of accessories like a remote, a nice close up lens, and bag would make an excellent present. It would fun, practical, and caring. Remember, you can never have too many accessories - just not enough time to use them all!