Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I like the looks and function of the Joby Pro. Note how the camera slides along the strap, instead of the strap sliding along your body.
JOBY Pro Sling Strap for Professional DSLRs

I have a Lens Loop strap, but I got into the Kickstarter. The only drawback is the seatbelt fabric is a bit sharp along the edge, but it's nice and wide and has no connection points which might break. I like how the Joby can be quickly re-sized though, that's pretty nice.
Had a quick look at the Joby strap, nice! I'll keep my eye out for one this weekend; I'm visiting Melbourne & already have a Joby Gorilla pod on my shopping list for myself

---------- Post added 11-19-14 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think a grab bag of accessories like a remote, a nice close up lens, and bag would make an excellent present. It would fun, practical, and caring. Remember, you can never have too many accessories - just not enough time to use them all!
A grab bag of accessories is definately what I'm going for, after reading everyone's suggestions. And I plan on wrapping each item individually

11-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
Pentaxian

A gift certificate at a large Australian camer shop. Maybe other family members can also give gift cards at the same place. That way maybe he can get something big and what he wants.
11-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
Had a quick look at the Joby strap, nice! I'll keep my eye out for one this weekend; I'm visiting Melbourne & already have a Joby Gorilla pod on my shopping list for myself [COLOR="Silver"]
I have one of these, but can't usually bring myself to using it as it's inconvenient to go back and forth between handheld and mounted on a tripod. It would have been so much better with an integrated quick release plate of some variety. There is an offset plate JOBY UltraPlate Quick Release Plate for DLSRs you can get seperately that takes care of this if you think it would be an issue (I haven't gotten around to picking one up yet). If you do get a plate make sure it's compatible with whatever tripod you've already picked up.

Apart from that, it's quite nice.
11-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first suggestion would be processing software. If this is his first venture into serious photography, he's going to want Lightroom or PhotoShop. As others have suggested, a great book can be a gift that pays dividends for years...that would be my 2nd choice. Third would be a good bag to carry everything. Beyond that, a back-up hard drive would also be nice and is always useful. Once you learn what lenses he's getting, you might consider a polarizing filter or a heavy ND filter. Hey, you could also give him a paid membership to Pentax Forums! LOL

11-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I have one of these, but can't usually bring myself to using it as it's inconvenient to go back and forth between handheld and mounted on a tripod. It would have been so much better with an integrated quick release plate of some variety. There is an offset plate JOBY UltraPlate Quick Release Plate for DLSRs you can get seperately that takes care of this if you think it would be an issue (I haven't gotten around to picking one up yet). If you do get a plate make sure it's compatible with whatever tripod you've already picked up.

Apart from that, it's quite nice.
I have the Joby Ultraplate and use it with my Sun Sniper sling strap. They are a perfect combination. The only time the sling strap has come off the camera in the last 3+ years was when I added the Ultraplate.
11-30-2014, 03:16 AM   #36

Original Poster
I bought today a Joby sling strap, and a rocket blower (and a second one for me) while picking up a couple of bargains for myself on Amazon. I'm still thinking about buying either a memory card or an external hard drive for my brother.
Thanks for the suggestions you made, it helped me enormously
11-30-2014, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cable remote at $75 or so brought from Teds with a cash back voucher from the purchase of my *istDL2. I have used it on the K20and now the K3.
Pentax gear lasts.