Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Your photographic gift recommendations

I'm wanting to buy something related to photography for my brother for Christmas. As mentioned in another thread post, he's getting a Pentax DSLR for his birthday, which our family have paid for.

I'm interested to know what you'd suggest as a gift. I'll spend around $100 (Aus).
I thought maybe a book, or a camera cleaning kit, but I'm not too sure. I'm hoping your suggestions will help.
What did you want when you first entered the DSLR world, but didn't own? What piece of equipment has come in handy? Or what's a must read book?

11-16-2014, 07:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books
11-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I 2nd the recommendation by Venom3300.
11-16-2014, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
I'm wanting to buy something related to photography for my brother for Christmas. As mentioned in another thread post, he's getting a Pentax DSLR for his birthday, which our family have paid for.

I'm interested to know what you'd suggest as a gift. I'll spend around $100 (Aus).
I thought maybe a book, or a camera cleaning kit, but I'm not too sure. I'm hoping your suggestions will help.
What did you want when you first entered the DSLR world, but didn't own? What piece of equipment has come in handy? Or what's a must read book?
Giottos Rocket Blower(Large)

11-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
That looks like a great book. Thanks
11-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of the accessories I use most, you could get the Peterson book and quite a few of these.

Wireless remote (the cheap knockoffs work as good as the Pentax)
spare battery
Depending on camera, AA battery holder and eneloops
Rocket Blower
lens cleaning cloth
sling strap
donation to Pentax Forums
Adobe Lightroom
memory card
11-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice family present!

I gotta tell ya... I have the 1st edition of Understanding Exposure, and I find it to be generally worthless. Lots of self-evident type of stuff, and questions are easily answered and expounded upon in online communities like PF. I know that some people get nervous and uptight about things like cameras, they need hand-holding every step of the way, but its pretty easy to figure stuff out in the age of digital.

What lens(es) are included with the new DSLR? How affordable is the DA 35/2.4 and DA 50/1.8 by you?

An external hard drive for photo storage/backup

11-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A tripod or a nice bag also make for great gifts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends a little bit on what he has. Personally I might be a bit practical but my brother and I simply ask "what do you need"?
If he doesn;t have one a camera bag would be nice. A lens pen, a blower or a tripod might be good ideas too.
11-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Give him an Amazon card, or a card from B&H, Adorama etc. Let him pick what HE wants. I would have loved that when I got my first DSLR.
11-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote
That looks like a great book. Thanks
Its a great book and a great gift. Understanding how to use the camera is far more important than any gear you can buy.
11-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Giottos Rocket Blower(Large)
This, an ok tripod, a small IR remote and an SD card is what I really needed with my k-01.
11-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
I'm not sure exactly what camera he is getting - I provided a link for one to his wife, but she bought it. I'll have to ask.
We've also bought him a tripod & an SD card.
I'm not the worlds biggest fan of gift cards. I know they allow the receiver to buy what they want, but I do like the idea of buying things that a person might not think of. It's why I like the suggestion of spare battery, or the blower. I had considered an external hard drive, I havent written that idea off either.
Only problem I can see here is I'll be very tempted to buy the things I want (need) myself....
11-16-2014, 11:06 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I like the idea of a tripod and Lightroom... those two things would make a world of difference.

I have this tripod and I know he would like it...but it might be slightly over budget...

Review: Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-17-2014, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A tripod or a nice bag also make for great gifts.
What he said.
The first thing I was missing when I got my camera was the tripod.