Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Import duty to US

Does anyone have any experience with buying internationally and how it works with import duty and taxes on photographic equipment. Im thinking of buying a lens from a Russian seller. Thanks.

11-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Does anyone have any experience with buying internationally and how it works with import duty and taxes on photographic equipment. Im thinking of buying a lens from a Russian seller. Thanks.
Oftentimes there will be no customs fees, especially when the item is shipped with regular mail (i.e. EMS or just airmail) and the value isn't eye-opening. The only time I've ever had to pay anything was when the sender forgot to attach a customs form...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

if you are buying lens from russia then i expect it's not something very fancy(don't take it in a wrong way just saying probably some manual lens)
let the seller mark the customs label "gift". I had experience shipping and buying stuff (mostly lens and camera bodies) to Europe, Asia, South AMerica and SE Asia). never been charged once.
if you mark it as used and gift, and the $$$ is about XX to couple hundreds, i'll say you are fine.
11-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #4

As I recall the allowance is something like $700 per shipment unless more than one shipment happen to arrive the same day then they are considered all as one shipment.

You can find the exact allowance on the US Customs and Border Patrol website.

11-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No disrespect to anyone, but I think the best policy is to be 100% honest. The agents at customs are not stupid and they know that many, if not most, items marked as "gift" are so done in an attempt to circumvent potential fees. All it takes is one guy having a bad day and he can in turn ruin yours.
11-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've bought two used lenses from eBay sellers in Japan over the last 14 months. They indicated the actual +/- $500 price in the customs form in both cases. U.S. Customs never opened either package, and no duty was added. I, too, think you will be fine.
11-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!