Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Film Vs Digital - bit of fun!

Thought I would post a couple of shots from Cyprus that I shot with both 35mm film (Velvia 50 on MZ-5N) and my APS-C camera (Pentax K-01).

No point, just thought it was an interesting comparison.

Lenses are FA20-35 and K85mm on Film, and DA14 on APS-C

Larnaca Castle, Cyprus
by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Larnaca Castle, Cyprus
by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Cyprus 2014
by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Seascape 6 - Footsteps
by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Kourion Theatre
by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

11-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, very fun. People tend to forget that very good work was done pre-digital and that it is not a matter of acceptable (film) vs. best (digital). It is more a matter of pumpkin vs. apple (pies). Both are good. I prefer pumpkin, unless the apple ala mode

Steve
11-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoyed these. If there were not space and weight issues, I'd routinely take both digital and film bodies with me on my travels too!
11-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Some lovely pictures. Wish I was there now
Thank you, so do I!

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Enjoyed these. If there were not space and weight issues, I'd routinely take both digital and film bodies with me on my travels too!
This is one advantage with Pentax, I can use all the same lenses The MZ-5N does not take up much space/weight even with the optional battery grip!

11-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
Thank you, so do I!

This is one advantage with Pentax, I can use all the same lenses The MZ-5N does not take up much space/weight even with the optional battery grip!
Well said. While I really like my PZ-1p and 645 cameras, the MZ-5n is indeed light and very capable (grip included).
11-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The film vs digital war is really silly, both are good mediums and you should use whatever works best or is more fun to you.
Nice comparison that simply proves that point!
11-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The film vs digital war is really silly, both are good mediums and you should use whatever works best or is more fun to you.
Nice comparison that simply proves that point!
I really enjoy using both, as a complement to each other.

11-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm I don't wanna dish out the film, but to my eyes the digital versions look better in all cases. Maybe it's because of PP ? but they look better, to my eyes at least. That being said, great shots (especially the second one).
11-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I miss using my MZ-5n. The little nylon gear that is part of the mirror mechanism and is prone to failure finally went and now a perfectly good camera sits idle because of a 10c part. Luckily I still have a perfectly good P30. And a perfectly good K1000. And an ME.. and... Nice pics, nice place.
11-19-2014, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All appealing photos, looking at them I wouldn't even consider the media involved, just enjoy the views.
11-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great pics and enjoyed trying to guess which was which without looking.
Interesting that I seem to prefer the film versions. although I always use digital. Oh no, I'm dooooomed. hahaha

Thank you for sharing! Great pics and I found lots more in your flickr account. Especially liked the castle.
11-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent series and very fun idea to shot film along digital. In contrary to some in my blind-pick I selected 3 best shots and surprise surprise ( or not - for some :P ) - 2 out of 3 turned to be film - absolutely excellent shots well exposed and nicely processed. Although for film I slowly divert into BW-only dimension , I do occasionally shot a roll of Ektar or burn a fast roll of expired Fuji - shooting film just has it charm for me..

Thanks for sharing !

Last edited by manntax; 11-20-2014 at 01:26 AM.
11-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice experiment and very good photos!
I don't know... if I got it right and didn't mix them up, in the picture of the beach the film one has this yellow tint that's so typical... I prefer the digital one.
Apart from that, they are each good in its own right.
11-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I am liking the Velvia film, if you nail the exposure its fantastic, a lot came out over exposed.
The Larnaca Castle shot, I could not have hoped it would come out so well, the digital took a bit of work with the Sky, Contrast, White Balance, Clarity etc where as the film shot was basically there from the exposure/scan, just added a little clarity in PP.
11-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

great shots and both formats work well. since im from Cyprus and im familiar with the locations, i can surely say that in these particular photos, the film shots do have the edge