Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Well, the lens is already in the mail. At this point, I might as well let them evaluate it. I may have been able to pull off the wedding since its indoors, but didn't want to risk soft or fuzzy pictures. The issue isn't so much bf/ff as it is overexposing outdoors and soft indoors. But like I said, the rep said they've seen that before and can fix it. I'm going to try to have a positive outlook on this. If it can't be fixed, I'll have to look at other options.
I kind of wish I had not posted my rant. I'm kind of starting to feel like an idiot. Lol
I'm sure that Tamron will have no problem fixing it, after all it's their most sold lens!

11-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
True. And I know if they can fix it I will be very happy with it.
11-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't feel badly about posting this. Cautionary tales can be helpful for others, and it's not like you came in crying how you couldn't believe the deal went sour. No, you rolled the dice with a seller that was communicating with you until he had your money. Lots of crumbs out there, and I'm sure you learned something from the experience. Now if we see you post an identical scenario next month...lol...I would have to start thinking about that commercial where the teenagers choose to hide behind the wall of chainsaws, trying to avoid the serial killer - lol! I don't expect to see that happen 😀
11-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
I prefer the Marketplace, as well. The most I've spent on a lens from eBay was $325, and that was from Prodigital2000, so that doesn't count. When he day comes for that 100mm WR Macro/Sigma 70mm/more dollars purchase -- I'll bide my time for one to show up in the Marketplace. There are definitely some sellers out there with good intentions, but not enough knowledge, to be selling items that involve some know-how. Their idea of mint might just be cosmetic/lack of obvious stuff like haze, fungus, etc. In the Marketplace, I can have a much better chance to know if the lens is soft, has FF/BF issues, etc. I like the odds better.

11-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hey Tina, don't beat yourself up about it, all do this kinda thing every now and again.

Have an electronic hug from me.
11-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ Kerrowdown Thanks for the hug!

Thank you everyone for being so supportive. Sorry I haven't had the chance to post sample pics yet. I did talk to Tamron today. They will be adjusting focus, adjusting or replacing aperture assembly, complete overhaul, cleaning, and adjustment, and replace front element (it came with a scratch). Grand total: $183.07. I agree that the ideal course of action would be to file with EBay, but in light of my sister's wedding just over two weeks away, I decided to approve the repairs. They said it would be like a brand new lens when I receive it. I hope so, because I just about paid what a new one would cost. Sigh... Lesson learned.
11-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
Forum Member

Final word make sure they have tested the lens for decentering, all that will be a waste if they haven't!

11-25-2014, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, maybe I better call them back
Edit: I just sent them an email.

---------- Post added 11-25-14 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
Final word make sure they have tested the lens for decentering, all that will be a waste if they haven't!
Tamron emailed back and said they did check. Thanks!
12-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got my lens back from Tamron. Much better! I haven't had time to do the full round of comparisons to the previous pictures, but I wanted to get something uploaded to show you guys. I did a few this morning at the same time of day as the others. I couldn't exactly replicate the lighting because the leaves have fallen off the trees now. But the shots I did this morning had no blown highlights. I can definitely see the difference in all areas. Here are just a few for comparison. Now I have to start practicing with this lens before next weekend!

The first two are before repair:

After repair.
12-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
I got my lens back from Tamron. Much better! I haven't had time to do the full round of comparisons to the previous pictures, but I wanted to get something uploaded to show you guys. I did a few this morning at the same time of day as the others. I couldn't exactly replicate the lighting because the leaves have fallen off the trees now. But the shots I did this morning had no blown highlights. I can definitely see the difference in all areas. Here are just a few for comparison. Now I have to start practicing with this lens before next weekend!

The first two are before repair:

After repair.

Wow that's huge ! Usually when you get a good deal on ebay it means that something is not quite right which is probably what happened here. A reputable dealer might mention it in the description, but someone who is just out to make a buck probably wont.
12-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, Tamron was great. I am so happy with them. As for the deal on EBay, you are absolutely right. I've definitely learned my lesson!
12-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Whenever I buy off ebay (which I do quite often) I always assume that the seller (private seller, not shop) has very little photography knowledge, and that thye wouldn't know how to test an item even if they knew what to look for.

Granted, 90% of my ebay photography stuff has been bought off the usual "dad's old camera stuff, worked when he put in in the cupboard 30 yeasr ago"
12-25-2014, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update:
The wedding was great. I uploaded some of the pictures to Facebook the week after the wedding, but today was the first time my sister and her husband saw all of them. They loved them. Even though I can pick them apart, I need to remember I'm my own worst critic. I think it was a pretty good day considering I had almost no practice with that lens. Nothing feels better than hearing you did a good job and knowing you brought happiness to people you care about.