Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ebay Lens Rant

I recently ordered a Tamron 17-50 2.8 off EBay. It was used, and not from a reputable dealer. But for the price, I took the chance. I was desperate because my sister wants me to shoot her wedding. Sigh... The test shots the night it came in were ok, but some were soft wide open. I had read that some people had that issue, so planned to shoot more the next day. 8:00 in the morning I was outside taking pictures. They kept overexposing, even using different settings. I took some in the shade that were not in focus, and the parts of the image that had sunlight were overexposed. I got a few good pictures, and thought maybe it was just me. I asked the seller if he had a problem with overexposing, but he hasn't answered. Funny, he had great communication up until that point. Of course, the lens could have been damaged in transport since it was shipped only in the product box with the papers and original thin piece of bubble wrap. Oh, and the seller had a no return policy. I considered using EBay buyer protection to deal with this, but that probably won't help me in time for the wedding, which is December 13. So now I have to ship the lens to Tamron, and hope and pray for the best. They at least told me I would have it back in time for the wedding. By the time I pay for repairs, I could have bought a new lens! I really should have known better than to take that chance. I guess I got too comfortable with the fact that I've had good luck buying used lenses so far. Live & learn, I guess. Sorry... I just needed to blow off some steam. Rant over.

11-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, caveat emptor I guess.
Hopefully the lens will be back and in good condition once repaired.

Its always good to remember rental options for special events - particularly for expensive lenses.
11-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, that was my original plan. But I ended up browsing EBay anyway since I already wanted the Tamron so badly. There have been so many times it would have been great to have it. But you're right. I should have rented for this event, then saved up for the lens. I'm about to head for the post office. Hoping for the best!
11-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
I took some in the shade.../...and the parts of the image that had sunlight were overexposed
Well, that sort of happens every time...
Did you check if the aperture stopped down properly?

11-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes. This was extremely overexpose and it wasn't even direct sunlight. Also the parts of the picture that were in the shade that I was focusing on one we're not in focus. I tested it in several different scenarios.
11-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM to shoot my sister's wedding. It's a great lens for the price--sharp and contrasty.
11-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well that sucks. Too bad time is so tight. If you had a few more days to spare, I would have used dispute resolution to make him take it back and refund, but because he doesn't do returns, it would most likely be long and messy. I've had to do it once, but I was lucky, because as soon as I sent it to DR -- he immediately offered to take it back, for a full refund (though he did screw me on the shipping. That still took a couple weeks to happen, though. I have an excellent copy of that lens, so if they can fix it, you'll be pleased with the performance. Just hope you can get it back in time, in usable shape.
11-21-2014, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, me too! Tamron said they would have no problem getting it back in time. I knew I wouldn't have that guarantee with conflict resolution. I sent Tamron some samples images, and they agreed something was off. They said it sounds like they could get that fixed for me. I hope it doesn't cost too much...

11-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It snapped back. Maybe it's still not as snappy as should be though.
Oh sorry. I just reread the last post. The lever snapped back. I don't know about the blades. The lens is at the post office now. Someone who knows way more than me will have a look at it in a few days.

Last edited by TinaS; 11-21-2014 at 11:28 AM.
11-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two danger signals for me:

1. "Not from a reputable dealer"

2. " Oh, and the seller had a no return policy."

Did the seller have a good reputation on EBay?

I guess I'm just chicken, but I won't order from someone saying no returns, and I buy only from someone that has a good record. Yes, I could still get burned, but haven't so far.

I surely hope your lens gets back in time for the wedding, and that the cost isn't over the moon. Please let us know the outcome, we're pulling for you!
11-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
I recently ordered a Tamron 17-50 2.8 off EBay. It was used, and not from a reputable dealer. But for the price, I took the chance. I was desperate because my sister wants me to shoot her wedding. Sigh... The test shots the night it came in were ok, but some were soft wide open. I had read that some people had that issue, so planned to shoot more the next day. 8:00 in the morning I was outside taking pictures. They kept overexposing, even using different settings. I took some in the shade that were not in focus, and the parts of the image that had sunlight were overexposed. I got a few good pictures, and thought maybe it was just me. I asked the seller if he had a problem with overexposing, but he hasn't answered. Funny, he had great communication up until that point. Of course, the lens could have been damaged in transport since it was shipped only in the product box with the papers and original thin piece of bubble wrap. Oh, and the seller had a no return policy. I considered using EBay buyer protection to deal with this, but that probably won't help me in time for the wedding, which is December 13. So now I have to ship the lens to Tamron, and hope and pray for the best. They at least told me I would have it back in time for the wedding. By the time I pay for repairs, I could have bought a new lens! I really should have known better than to take that chance. I guess I got too comfortable with the fact that I've had good luck buying used lenses so far. Live & learn, I guess. Sorry... I just needed to blow off some steam. Rant over.

Let's see some sample pics from this lens.

The Tamron 17-50 (I own one, it broke, had to have it repaired) is a quirky thing, so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

It's sharp, but like any lens it is not at its sharpest wide open. By f4, my Tamron is ridonkulous.
11-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

We just had a thread recently where someone asked about buying this lens from Japan. I said that based on reading on it on several threads, it's a lens that has been known to have issues with some copies. So I would only buy in the US from a dealer that would accept returns (in the US, to expedite the return process). I think this just confirms that conclusion...

Good luck with the lens saga... I hope you get a happy conclusion to it soon.
11-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
He was a fairly new seller. I know, dumb move... And I really don't ways make such bad choices, but this time I did.
I'm not where I can get to my pictures and upload right now. I'm on my phone. I'll try to get some up as soon as I have a chance. I also thought maybe I just have to get used to it. But out of 30 test pics, I only had 3 that were any good. My average is usually slightly better than that. Lol I also knew wide open might be soft. That's why I didn't worry much until the outside pics came out so badly the next morning. I tried using TV, Av, and finally auto to see what was up. In each case, the setting the camera's choice was not what I was expecting. The Rep said there could be a communication problem between the lens and the camera. She said what I described was something they've seen before and they would be able to fix it. So now I get to wait and hope I can afford it.
11-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Personally - I would use the Ebay return policy and return the lens. God knows how many times you'll have to send that lens to Tamron and if they'll even be able to fix it - right now it's not even clear what's wrong with it. I think a lens that simultaneously front focuses and back focuses (at different FLs) might in some cases not be fixable.

KEH has some Pentax 16-45s for sale and with the 15% off they might become an attractive proposition for a wedding lens... at least there's been posts in this forum that attest to that.

But the ultimate wedding lens for Pentax might be the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. There's one on Amazon in the 280 dollar range. I've never seen nearly as many complains about that lens, so I think I'd feel much more at ease with buying one, as compared to the 17-50, that I always end up hearing horror stories about...
11-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, the lens is already in the mail. At this point, I might as well let them evaluate it. I may have been able to pull off the wedding since its indoors, but didn't want to risk soft or fuzzy pictures. The issue isn't so much bf/ff as it is overexposing outdoors and soft indoors. But like I said, the rep said they've seen that before and can fix it. I'm going to try to have a positive outlook on this. If it can't be fixed, I'll have to look at other options.
I kind of wish I had not posted my rant. I'm kind of starting to feel like an idiot. Lol