Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 05:09 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

yeah..... no.

1. smart phone ergonomics suck
2. smart phone ergonomics suck
3. sensor size doesn't allow for DOF control on smart phones
4. smart phone ergonomics suck
5. 300, 400, 500 mm lenses are big, and negate the weight saving effect of the smart phone for tele shooters
6. smart phone ergonomics suck
7. small sensor means poor sharpness for landscape shooters
8. smart phone ergonomics suck
9. you are going to have a hard time making a phone that can shoot 8.3fps at 24mp and write it to a card that fast
10. smart phone erganomics suck
11. smart phones don't have an optical or electronic viewfinder
12. smart phone ergonomics suck
13. people don't want to dump 2k a ton of money into a phone that will soon be dated (dslr bodies get dated, but lenses last)
14. smart phone erganomics suck
15. you can't integrate the buttons and level of control in a functional and quick way into a smart phone
16. smart phone ergonomics suck
17. you still need interchangeable lenses thus negating the size savings on smart phones vs mirror less etc
18. did i mention smart phone ergonomics suck?

11-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I choose to spend $90 MAX for a cell phone, and at my price cameras on phones are very much.. impressionist renderings. No enthisiasm here!

And the ergonomics suck
11-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sensing a generational gap here.

The goodness (or badness) of Ergomonics are subjective. A 700g body might be comfortable to hold, but it's still 700g of stuff that requires its own special handling. There's something to be said about a device that can go into your pocket and essentially feel like it's not there.

Future generations are going to laugh at us oldies who lugged honking big cameras and lenses around, while they take their svelte little palm-sized phone out of their pocket and proceed to take a massive and instantly stitched panorama before uploading it to some website that allows you to fly through the picture in 3d, and then leave hashtags and comments where appropriate.
11-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It has taken over the P&S camera but I don't foresee it taking over SLR's. There is a difference between snapshots and photographs and the smartphone will always take great snapshots.

11-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I sure wouldn't mind a better camera in my phone. But I think not just the camera tech has to improve in the future but also the way we take the photos. Perhaps some people don't mind viewing their composition and holding their camera like this but I don't think I'd ever like it as my main camera system.

Last edited by tuco; 11-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.
11-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

The goodness (or badness) of Ergomonics are subjective. A 700g body might be comfortable to hold, but it's still 700g of stuff that requires its own special handling. There's something to be said about a device that can go into your pocket and essentially feel like it's not there.

Future generations are going to laugh at us oldies who lugged honking big cameras and lenses around, while they take their svelte little palm-sized phone out of their pocket and proceed to take a massive and instantly stitched panorama before uploading it to some website that allows you to fly through the picture in 3d, and then leave hashtags and comments where appropriate.
im not sure about the generational thing. I'm 24 and much prefer a dslr. along with many of my friends that are enthusiasts
11-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enthusiasts almost by definition are a breed that are willing, even obsessed, with spending a lot of money on their gear. Simply buying an i-phone won't satisfy that need (nor will it begin to allow the control over the image output that a larger sensor camera can as others have stated in earlier replies).
That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it...
Daryl

11-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

My question is, who's going to make the first phone that will have optics that rival Zeiss, Leitz, L and FA Limiteds.

(do I hear the sound of crickets?)
11-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
^ I think that bird is pining for the fjords
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No, it's just resting!
...had a close encounter with window glass...
11-21-2014, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...had a close encounter with window glass...
Poor thing. At least it's not a Norwegian Blue.
11-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Nah. Don't think so. If by enthusiast you mean hobbyists who actually go around taking a lot of pics that aren't of themselves and just for their social media pages I think that regular cameras will hold their own for a long while yet. I do think you'll see a lot of people migrating to smaller format cameras. DSLR's will become less and less the camera that people do family stuff with. I'm a pro now and I don't always lug my DSLR's around now. I mostly use mine for work. For what I consider my serious photography. For fun, family, walking around, you'll more often see me with a M43 camera, unless it's at the beach and I actually need WR. I do take the odd pic with my tablet or phone but only when I want to remember something or ul something real quick to the web.

I don't see the more serious hobbyists just ditching their DSLR's and that for their phones completely. I don't see it as an either or scenario. People will pull out the phones for the quick stuff, but still use a DSLR or similar camera for the more important stuff. A tablet or a phone is capable of a lot more these days and if you're just taking selfies for Facebook or whatever it's fine, but once you start doing anything like serious photography you still need more than that. The people who are ditching their higher end gear for cell phones, I don't think they were much into DSLR's in the first place. The cameras that cell phones and tablets are replacing it's not the DSLR's and the like, it's the 5MP pocket cams that everyone used to have.

Those I'm finding in droves at my local Goodwill as people dump them but I hardly ever see a DSLR. When I do? They're not there long. That tells me that people still want a "serious" camera to use when they want to do more than click a selfie or a pet shot....
11-22-2014, 04:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm 24, pretty much a digital native and the prospect of the downfall of DSLRs in favour of tiny DSLM toys and smartphones fills me with horror
11-22-2014, 04:38 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are certain things that small sensor cameras, whether cell phones or point and shoots, don't do well. One is shoot ergonomically. It is one thing to hold a cell phone camera for a minute and snap a couple of photos. It is another thing to shoot for an extended period of time with one. Small size actually makes things worse, because a little bit of weight would tend to limit camera shake. High iso is still pretty lousy on these. Maybe it will get better over time, but I don't forsee it getting to the place where iso 1600 is really usable.

There are solutions that allow for the use of longer lenses with cell phones, but these are clumsy and frankly using an SLR or MILC is less difficult.

As others have mentioned, there just aren't many options if you want more narrow depth of field. I guess software simulation is the best option, but it doesn't work very well in my opinion. Tends to get transitions looking kind of strange. Not like lenses do with a wide aperture.

Editing cell phone image files reveals the lack of high iso ability and poor dynamic range. The photos are what they are and massaging them in Lightroom doesn't get you much of anywhere.

I do think five or six years ago a lot of folks ended up with SLRs who probably will switch away from them and shoot cell phones because cell phones are good enough and they don't really need the features that a interchangeable lens camera offers.
11-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Future generations are going to laugh at us oldies who lugged honking big cameras and lenses around...
While they show us the pixel-sized dot on their smart phones that's supposed to be an eagle in flight?
11-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I disagree with the prediction, I somehow think something is missing from this thread until SOMEONE posts a link to the Sony QX10. So, here you are:

Sony reveals QX10 and QX100 camera modules for smartphones: Digital Photography Review

You could interpretate the QX10 as Sony's way of saying that phone cameras are optically hopeless, or you could interpretate is as saying that phones will swallow the market one way or another... in either case it doesn't detract from the fact that the ergonomics... suck.