Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

How do you carry your tripod?

Reason I'm asking is because I have just decided to buy the Lowepro Flipside 300 bag which I understand it is sort of small but that was kind of my deciding factor. At first I liked the CaseLogic 206 and/or the Lowepro Flipside 400 but at the end I thought they were too big.

So if I decide to buy the Flipside 300, it can carry a tripod but the bag being small, means that the tripod would have to fold to 18-20''.

So I was wondering if I should restrict the tripod I buy to fit on the back of my future bag or carrying a tripod on the bag is uncomfortable and I should just carry it separately and hence not restrict my tripod purchase to fit on the bag?

Thanks.

11-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually just carry my tripod in my hand. If I am hiking it gets strapped to the outside of the pack.

Steve
11-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #3

I carry it in a tripod carrying case...it has a shoulder strap.
11-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another suggestion:

OP/TECH USA Tripod Strap

11-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

My bag also has tripod attachments at the back, but this shifts the center of gravity so far back, that it is uncomfortable. Therefore I have started to using straps to attach the tripod on the side of the backpack. It all depends on the length of the trip actually - if I need to carry it for a longer distance, I attach it to my backpack, on shorter ranges I carry it in my hand. I have never found use to the tripod bag that came with the tripod (shame, it is a decent bag, with padding and everything) as they are made only to accommodate the legs, without the head.
11-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strapped to the outside of my pack. NEVER attached to the camera. Too easy to have a disaster that way.
11-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I carry my tripod on short hikes and only bring a gorillapod on long hikes.

I have yet to find a good backpack carrying solution for a full height tripod. Inside the bag takes too much space. Horizontally below the bag catches on bushes and other objects. Vertically on the left or right side throws off the weight distribution. Vertically outside the center of the bag shifts the center of gravity too far back, leading to the bag bouncing and interfering with my gait.
11-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

I carry it in its bag over the shoulder or in my hand. Depending on how far I am walking between shots.

11-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Kata 3in1 bag, and bought a Kata tripod attachment. I like the bag, but the attachment is only for small tripods and is useless for mine.
I'm not a trekker so I just carry tripod in hand. I would find it impossible in rough terrain.
11-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
So if I decide to buy the Flipside 300, it can carry a tripod but the bag being small, means that the tripod would have to fold to 18-20''.
I have this bag, there's no height limit for the tripod apart from it sticking up above the bag. There's a lower pouch thing that extends to hold the feet and then a strap that goes around the tripod about 15" up, then nothing above the strap to limit the tripod height. My own tripod is small though, ~20" collapsed.

This tripod attachment is convenient but not the best. I find the feet will sometimes pop out of the lower pouch when hiking causing the tripod to swing around (but not fall off the bag). Additionally, this pouch extends below the base of the bag, so if you set the bag down on the ground up right, or sit on a bench, it also pops the tripod feet out of the pouch. When the feet stay in, it's pretty comfy though, the bag is relatively small so the tripod isn't hanging way out behind you. I can actually get the tripod off the back without moving the bag, and I can even replace it with some minor contortionism if no ones watching.

Otherwise, I do find it nice to work out of.
11-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I give it to one of my assistants, of course.

Any which way. Strapped to backpack, slung in its own carry case, in my hand (with or without camera).
11-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just carry my tripod in my hand. If the distance is short between shots & not too uneven a trail, then I just leave the camera on the tripod, unless it's the 70-200, I know some feel it's risky to carry the camera this way, but I've carried my Canon 5D & heavier lens this way without any problems. On a rough trail or steep incline, then everything gets put away in the backpack, except the tripod which I might use for a walking stick.
11-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I carry it around like a caveman, people give me looks. Whatever.
But I might think about some better carrying techniques when I get a heavier tripod.
11-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
I carry it in its bag over the shoulder or in my hand. Depending on how far I am walking between shots.
+1 same solution here. Only time i have an attached camera is when it's my monopod i bring along, then i tilt the head Down so the lens (sigma 120-400) is parallel with the monopod and use it as a handle to carry it
11-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer to use a tripod bag. If I am birding, or any type of shooting that requires long glass, I will have two tripods with me. One with a gimbal head and one with a ball head. If I am backpacking and just bringing one tripod I will strap it on the backpack. I am a bit of a gear hog so I typically have more stuff with me than I need. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.