Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I don't recall where, but I've seen the K-3 body at less the $700 ($696.) You might have a quick look around before you decide for sure.
That's still a couple of hundred over the K5IIs. It's an excellent price for the K-3, but again it's more than I can afford now.

11-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
The weight might be an issue, don't know your circumstances, but I can tell you that whenever I put my Tamron 70-200 on my K5, I attach the grip as well. Even more so with my Sigma 120-400. The grip provides the prefect counterbalance to the heavier lenses, you'll actually find it more comfortable with the grip than without. If you plan to use longer lenses, which seems likely given your question, you will find the grip invaluable. This does not include how perfectly convenient it is for portrait photography. If you leave the battery out of the grip, weight becomes a non-issue, too.
I've just spent 14 months recovering from a fractured vertebrae that then collapsed, fairly high on my back; so weight is a definite concern for me. I've had several grips in the past, many years ago, when I had SLR's, and regardless of weight they are bulky. I've been using the 55-300 without needing counterbalance. I simply hold the left hand under the lens while taking photos. Selling the grip would give me a little towards the lens in the spring.
11-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the previous manual focus version of the Tokina, which is supposed to be not as good. I really like having a 400mm prime and would recommend the lens. I have used it successfully handheld. But you have to have a decent amount of light and be reasonably steady for that to work. I like to shoot at f8 and faster than 1/250. The K-5 IIs makes this much easier by allowing high ISOs and having a later version of SR. I think 1600 is fine on the K-5 IIs. I've never used the K10D but suspect it is not so great at 1600. A long-winded way of saying get the camera first.
11-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
K50 is cheap has great ISO performance, etc. Could you buy the lens and the k50?
I had originally planned on the K50; but using the K10D with the top LCD has spoiled me. I would really miss that. Other than that I would definitely go for the K50.

11-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have the previous manual focus version of the Tokina, which is supposed to be not as good. I really like having a 400mm prime and would recommend the lens. I have used it successfully handheld. But you have to have a decent amount of light and be reasonably steady for that to work. I like to shoot at f8 and faster than 1/250. The K-5 IIs makes this much easier by allowing high ISOs and having a later version of SR. I think 1600 is fine on the K-5 IIs. I've never used the K10D but suspect it is not so great at 1600. A long-winded way of saying get the camera first.
Dave, that's great information; the camera will definitely come first!

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions, as I was just going around in circles trying to make my mind up. All of your replies settled my decision; the camera first!
11-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

With 2 K-5s and a K-3 in the family, my choice would be a K-5IIs, as far s I'm concerned it's the best flat out IQ for the money. That 80 ISO , 14 EV dynamic range and low light focusing is sort of the sweet spot for APS-c as far as I can tell.
11-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I had originally planned on the K50; but using the K10D with the top LCD has spoiled me. I would really miss that. Other than that I would definitely go for the K50.
A couple of used k5's are available in the marketplace, one is 300... Just trying to help 😉

I went from the 100d super to the k50 and I have had difficulty getting used to the lack of a top mount LCD also, but the need wasn't as strong as my lack of budget was. I ended up with the to and the 18-135 kit last year.
11-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
another vote for a body upgrade. You will love the improvement!

12-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
" my choice would be a K-5IIs"

That's my first choice, I'm just taking into consideration of not finding a new one in a couple of weeks; and wondered what my next alternative should be.
12-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New body, unless you really need that 400mm...
12-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #26
Pentaxian

" my choice would be a K-5IIs"

That's my first choice, I'm just taking into consideration of not finding a new one in a couple of weeks; and wondered what my next alternative should be.
Hurry up if you want/need a new one as it is in the "discontinued" bucket now... whatever they (the distributors) have unless of course if you don't mind getting a 'used' one.

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 12:17 PM ----------

I currently have the K10D. I have to choose between a 400mm lens or a new K5IIs. I frankly don't know which would be the greater benefit, especially during the winter when the opportunities for photos drop. Both are priced about the same, the 400mm would be used, either the Tokina, or the Pentax A.

Open to your thoughts!
When you think about it... an upgrade of camera will provide you with more satisfaction in all aspects of your shooting experience, an upgrade of the long lens will reward you better experience in shooting birds - unless of course, you do nothing else (in your photographic agenda). And then, later, you will find out that your k10d is still not up to task - means more frustration. Just saying....
12-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would think the body would be the better choice.

I think you should try the grip for reasons others have mentioned. While you have a good reason for not wanting to use one, your reason would suggest that a 400 mm lens is not a good option either. The 55-300 lens is not a good indication of what type of weight or support you would need for a 400 mm or other higher quality telephoto lens. I'd imagine none of us need the grip to support the 55-300, but when you get out where the lens weights a couple of lbs (or a kg), then the grip does help. Without a battery, the grip is essentially negligible in weight anyway. Otherwise, getting the higher resolution cameras like the K5iiS or K3 will give you a bit more reach if you're willing to crop a bit.

Anyway, good luck in any case.